Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baybgrl41

Side Opening Ovens

baybgrl41
9 years ago

Considering putting 2 side opening ovens in my new construction home. Any thoughts? I never actually seen one in person, but love the concept. Thanks!

Comments (8)

• glitter_and_guns
    9 years ago

I would sure try to find a review. The only side open oven I was ever around was a commercial one and when one opened the door it tended to "float" back to the closed position. I got burned on my shoulder when the door closed part way while I was turning trays of cookies. I know other people who used it got burned on the door as well. Not sure if there was something wrong with that one or if it is just the nature of the beast.

Those are very pretty, though.

• plllog
    9 years ago

Is that the new Bosch? It shouldn't have the wandering door, but it does need to be installed correctly. Even a little bit out of level could affect it. Bosch is taking after its sister Gaggenau. Westinghouse made good ones in the middle of the last century, and Frigidaire makes (or made recently) an entry level one. All residential.

I LOVE side opening, and never really cared for reaching over a drop door. It's even worse now when the doors cover the entire oven, rather than just the cavity. It's a big way to reach. No wonder people need roll out shelves! It's like the cars nowadays that have so little window area that they have to have a rear view camera because you can't see where you're going without it.

That's not an issue with the side opening, but placement is. Optimal placement for any oven is about waist high. Drop doors can go all the way lower to floor level since you're looking down. You could do the same thing, under counter, with a side open, but then you'd still need the roll out shelves or you'd have to crouch down to get in. And then the door could be an issue. It's also less obvious to random legs and more of an issue with the heat. Side opening should be at least hip high, and can go up to shoulder high. If you don't have them mounted flush integrated, that is, with the front of the door on the same plane as the cabinet fronts, it can swing all the way open. That's convenient for when you have a big heavy bird in a big heavy pot and need two people to take it out.

Side opening is great. I love my Gaggenaus. :)

• Susied3
    9 years ago

Babygrl41, we have a Gaggenau which as plllog said is side opening. We put a microwave drawer underneath the oven, so for comfort height, the side opening is great. I find it much easier to use than reaching over the oven door. I didn't find it hard to get used to the door opening, no burns so far, knock on wood!

• brightm
    9 years ago

I was just thinking about side opening ovens the other day. I have a 30" Bluestar RNB and a Miele Speed oven (undercabinet). So I spend time crouched down watching things brown, etc. I was thinking about whether I'd like a wall oven and a side opener, given that. And I couldn't help but think of the burn factor. Anxious to hear from more folks. (Though I don't think I'll do another reno, possibly ever. Not even done with this one yet.)

• rebecca51
    9 years ago

We held up our remodel until the Bosch became available. I use a power chair due to MS and am so looking forward to being able to access the oven again! It was just installed yesterday and looks great!

• baybgrl41
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks everyone. im leaning towards the side opening, but we are just starting construction so i have a bit of time. I guess my biggest concern was the burn factor.

• agk2003
    9 years ago

rebecca, we are also getting the bosch side opening oven. i would love to see a picture of yours installed!

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

I lived with a side open door for many years. GE made an upper oven, probably in the 70's. We bought the house with it and lived with it 8 years until we remodeled. I loved it! Couldn't find another back in the 80's. The only problem is the open door could be a problem if there is a walk way next to it. In my old kitchen, I had cabinets on both sides. Otherwise, its so easy to use, pull out your rack, baste, etc. No leaning over or above to broil or baste.

We couldn't replace it (did two kitchen reno's) and had to have pull down doors. I am hoping I can find a side-opening door oven in the future in our new home.

Jane