Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Caulking today - need color advice w/ different materials

oldbat2be
11 years ago

We have Cambria Torquay countertops on both sides with stainless steel in the middle. I'd very much appreciate advice on how to best select caulk colors for this area.

Options:

1) Brown caulk all the way across

2) Brown on sides, bronze or silvery caulk in the middle

3) White all the way across

Other?

Thanks!! Off to Home Depot as soon as possible after your answers :)

(And for those of you too polite to ask, outlets are being switched out to brown)

Comments (18)

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Caulk that is the same color as your grout.

• deedles
    11 years ago

I agree with debrak. GOSH that is pretty tile!! So, so beautiful!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Another vote for grout-colored caulk everywhere.

• hags00
    11 years ago

If you can't find your color grout in a caulk form it can be ordered online (doesn't help with caulking today...I know!!). I had to do that in last summer's kitchen, grouted in mocha from The Tile Shop and they did not have grout caulk in that color. Ordered it online from another source and got a great match.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I agree!

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

I'd think about clear-it's usually just hazy and would work better than a color stripe along the stainless.Just one of those things-either little stripes like that in conspicuous spots bother you,or they don't.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Herbflavor: don't you think the grout colored stuff would kind of disappear into the tile area, visually speaking? I wonder if clear would make it look like the tile bottom wasn't finished?

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all! Nothing's ever easy.... ended up buying a paintable caulk. Tried to color match my grout but don't think I have the right color. I'll get there. This finish work is a royal pain :(

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hags00 - the grout we used was Mapei Mocha - I really like the color. Do you rememember what brand you used?

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

the caulk line is bigger at the stainless area...so,you will see this line more than over at the light counter. And,there's a shiny metal patina butted up to this thicker matte colored line...and, now it's thicker than at the white counter. I even thought that a stainless lip-very small, as a little corner cover at the stainless section might be wise.....have to think of the dimensions-but a fabricater could do something nice. By all means-lay in the caulk-it can be lived with and any tweaks right there at the stainless part could be explored later.[as we know-caulk does get pulled out and replaced around the home]. Either matched to the grout, or the clear is a good place to start. It is set back, so some variance in the visuals may ensue....and bottles and containers and utensil crocks may line up along that area anyway...it is a good backdrop for kitchen "stuff", so my little discussion about the line may be insignificant...it's just always good to think of options for little irregularities that may or may not matter.

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

IT LOOKS SO PRETTY OLDB! YOU ARE GETTNG THERE! I agree, same caulk color as grout!

• mamasheshe
    11 years ago

Lovin' that tile!! If you can match caulk to the grout color, I agree that would be best.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Herbflavor - SS lip is an interesting thought, I will keep in mind after painting the caulk, if we are not happy.

Thanks annsch, mamasheshe, all!

• hags00
    11 years ago

Oldbat2be-

Selling that house but happen to be going there at lunch to open the house for the inspector. Caulk and grout are there. I will write down the brands and color names and post this afternoon.

• hags00
    11 years ago

Ok, checked my bag of grout and my caulk and the names of the colors don't match but the colors do so this is what I did. My grout was The Tile Shop's Superior Products Mocha.

Go to the link below. Find your manufacturer of grout on the left. Then find your color.

That is where I got mine and my caulk is a very good match to my grout and looks great. On the negative, with shipping it was a $14 tube of caulk and I used only a small portion of it. But with the amount of money you spend on the kitchen it was worth it to me to get that finishing touch!

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Caulk to match grout

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hags00-thank you so much, they actually have a link for the Mapei grout color, wahoo! Now.... How to best dig out the day old caulk?

• hags00
    11 years ago

My favorite caulking tool and caulk removal tool! Available in a combo pack at my Home Depot in the caulk department!

Here is a link that might be useful: Caulking tools

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hags00 - you have been such a terrific help, thanks, have already sent link to DH :)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert