Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwigem_gw

composite sink with offset drain & straight sides?

Kiwigem
9 years ago

Hello, Gardenweb!

I am inches from pulling the trigger on the Silgranite diamond, because I want the offset drain, but the curved sides are giving me pause. Anyone know of a brand with straight sides and an offset drain? Or are the curved sides not noticeable in person perhaps?
Thanks!

Comments (11)

• mmleach
    9 years ago

Kiwigem, I had a Blanco Silgranite single bowl sink for years, long before they became popular. I loved the offset drain. I never even noticed the curved sides. From what I understand from reading what others have written, a sink with a square angle side is harder to clean.

I am going with a copper sink this time simply because I could not get a Silgranite sink in a copper color. My old sink is going into my daughter's kitchen. It still looks almost as good as the day we installed it.

• brightm
    9 years ago

I have the Silgranite Diamond. When you say curved sides, do you mean the cut out in the granite or where the sink bottom meets the sink sides, or...

One of the reasons I went with the diamond over one of the ones with the small 'wall' and separate section (cascade? precis?) because the opening seemed more curved (and I wasn't sure if I wanted the division). I don't see my diamond as curved at all, FWIW.

(still in progress...ignore the line where the four inch backsplash line needs to be patched)

• PurpleEyes_GW
    9 years ago

Kiwigem, I understand exactly. I did not have the benefit of seeing a Diamond in person, so in the end I went with the Precis super single and love it. It is so large that the center drain is not an issue.

Also, in pictures at least, the curved sides seem more pronounced when the sink is used as a drop in versus undermount.

This post was edited by PurpleEyes on Tue, Oct 28, 14 at 21:02

• PurpleEyes_GW
    9 years ago

There is a picture of a Diamond in another thread that shows a slight curve on the sides, but it's not major (post is by Coolbeans):

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

I am on my third house, and my third kitchen reno, and will be installing for a third time a Blanco Diamond Silgranit Super Single sink. I like the Silgranit dark colors so am getting the anthracite (like in Cal_quail's pic above). I love the size of this sink, love the offset drain, love how the sink always looks clean. I have never once given the curved sides as you say, a moment's thought. Never thought about it until I read this thread.

In the thread that PurpleEyes linked above, the pics posted by jt562 and rmlanza on that thread you cannot see curved sides, so I guess it depends what angle you are looking at the sink.

I have read several threads complaining about sinks with "zero radius" corners, i.e. sharp straight edges, and how they are harder to clean cause gunk gets in the corners. You will love your Blanco Diamond Silgranit sink.

This post was edited by Mrs_Nyefnyef on Tue, Oct 28, 14 at 21:18

• brightm
    9 years ago

(mine is Cinder)

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for chiming in! Thanks for including your photo, cal. Cinder is my leading contender. Would it be possible to get an overhead view, pretty please?
    For those who were wondering, when I say "curved sides" I mean the fact that the overall shape of the sink when viewed from overhead is slightly bowed on the short sides. I don't mean the curved interior corners- that's a huge benefit!

• User
    9 years ago

Interesting thread. I too am a fan of the Blancodiamond Super Single. I gotta ask, and I am not trying to be flip or mean, but why are you so concerned whether the short sides look curved? I apologize in advance, but t just seems kinda over-thinking. There are so many bigger decisions to be made in a kitchen renovation. Sorry, I am just trying to understand your preoccupation with this.

This post was edited by Sahmmy on Tue, Oct 28, 14 at 22:20

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

One of the reasons I chose the Precis over the Diamond was the square shape. I just thought the curved sides were too contemporary for my old school kitchen.
    One is not better than the other, just different styles...

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, Sahmmy. I just don't know if I'd like the look for my kitchen. That's it. I may just have to see the Diamond in person to get a sense for how curved it is. Perhaps it is subtle enough that it won't bother me.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

I choose the Precis for my cleanup sink. I prefer straight, straight lines so the shape appealed to me a bit more even though the offset drain of the Diamond was enticing. Well, symmetry is important to me also so that was another "pro" in the Precis column. The center drain doesn't bother me much, especially since I have a prep sink on my island anyway.

The color is waaaaay off here from the actual color of the metallic gray. The gorgeousness of this color is difficult to capture on camera.