Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimport

My Finished Kitchen

Amy M
12 years ago

Hi All!

My kitchen is finally completed. It took approximately 4-5 months. We live in a 1940's home that was originally a cape and prior to our purchase, was expanded to become a center hall colonial. The first floor was never renovated, so the kitchen fit about 2 people standing. We had a small dining room off of the kitchen and a small screened in porch. We demolished all 3 rooms and shortened our garage a bit to create one big L shaped room with a bluestone patio out back.

Backsplash: Durango 2X3 tiles

Granite: Juperana Persia

Sink: Franke Apron Front 33

Faucet: Kohler hi-rise deck faucet

Stove: 36 wolf range with 4 burners and a griddle. We love the griddle more than we thought we would. Use it all the time for bacon and eggs, pancakes and grilled cheeses.

Wall oven: electric Electrolux

Cabinets: Custom cabinets to match the color of Kraftmaid Canvas with a cocoa glaze

Island Cabinets: custom- dark wood

Floors: 4" red oak with a dark stain

Potfiller: Grohe

Refrigerator: 42" side by side subzero

Microwave: Wolf drawer

Island pendants and Chandelier: Murray Feiss

Paint Color: Standish White

Knobs/Pulls: Amerock Revitalize

Outside: Hardiplank and shingles in Windsor Cream

I have attached a few pics. I cannot thank this board enough for all your feedback. I didn't post as much as I searched for opinions and I know I couldn't have done it without you!

Thanks again.

AIMPort

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen pics

Comments (43)

• eriepatch
    12 years ago

It's wonderful AIMPort.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Love all the changes so much. That granite is beautiful and so are the floors and cabinets. What color is the wall paint?

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Impressive! You wouldn't know it was the same place. Did you actually photograph someone else's house? :-)

Looks like a faithful match with the original house style. Good job.

• Amy M
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The wall color is BM Standish White. I will be honest I was torn. My contractor picked it. At first I thought it was too close to the cabinets and then too yellow, but now I really like it. If I have to repaint some day that isn't such a big deal.

• lynn85
    12 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! It is amazing from the before to the after! Fantastic job on the design!

• blfenton
    12 years ago

What a great transformation. All those windows add so much light and the island looks so pretty and will be so useful.

• rosie
    12 years ago

WHAT a transformation, from little wife cooking corner to place for the whole family to live. I just bet you love it. It's interesting imagining that new fridge alone in the old kitchen. :) Congrats!

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

beautiful job! i love all the elements, very homey :) like your stools too !

• Amy M
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks! Just to add, the stools are from overstock.com. Strangely, our first shipment came slightly damaged, not awful, but I wasnt comfortable spending $$$ on something with knicks. I asked to return them and was immediately credited the full amount and was told to wait for someone from UPS to come inspect them. UPS never came and now we have 6 bar stools for the price of 4.

• elba1
    12 years ago

Looks great - the sink/window area is very pretty!

• biochem101
    12 years ago

Very charming!

Love the cabinet door style and color.
    A really nice glaze looks so pretty, especially with the beaded trim.
    Perfect with a golden brown granite.

Enjoy!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

That is a far cry from a cape's kitchen! It is lovely and will become the focal point of the house. It must be such a joy to go from the old kitchen to the new ;)

• EcoBuzz
    12 years ago

It's beautiful! I love the open shelves on the end of the island. The granite is beautiful and I adore the apron sink. Everything look fabulous together. What an incredible transformation.

I think the bar stools look terrific - glad that worked out. How deep is the overhand on your bar? Is it comfortable to sit there?

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

I hope you don't mind but I just had to post your images in this thread. I'm sure they are others like me who like to scroll up and down comparing views and that's hard to do when visiting a photos sharing site.

AIMPort's before kitchen:

And (drum roll) the stunning AFTER!

Can I just say WOW! What a transformation! I can't imagine working in that tiny cramped space that was your "before" kitchen. And who wouldn't want to work in your light-filled, spacious "after" kitchen! I love the bookcases tucked into the end of your island and the window seat with storage by the back door.

• joy824
    12 years ago

Love your kitchen. I live in Rockland County New York.
    What is the specific color of the tiles you used for the backsplash and where did you purchase them. I think it will work well with my cabinets. Thanks in advance.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Thanks, Lisa -- I was just about to post aim's pictures as you did (but you did a better job organizing them than I would have).

AIMport - congratulations. I really like the curve on the island that sort of matches the overhead curve above the window, and the way that interleaves with the window-sill drawers you have below the windows to the side of the island seating-area. There is a height and textural-thing there that I really like. [sorry; I have no language for this]. And the alternating cabinets and windows and paned glass doors also do something of the same thing texturally. It's all very crunchy; I really like it.

• Amy M
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for posting my pics this way. I didn't know how to do it!

I bought my backsplash through amazon.com. I am a working mom of two and so I literally spent any time after the kids were sleeping, searching the Internet and ordering samples. In the end, I probably spent $75 on tile samples I threw out but it was worth it. I liked the rustic tumbled feel of these Durango tiles. My contractor used an enhancer once up.

Go to amazon.com and search Tumbled Durango cream 2x4

tiles and the company is Oracle

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

You're welcome! It's really simple to post pics here from a photo sharing site. Select a photo, then hover over the top edge of the photo. A top menu will appear. Click on "Share", then click on the "Get Link Code" tab, then copy and paste the HTML code in the thread. I chose "full size" but checked in the preview mode that they weren't over-sized first. Too large is as hard to view as too small, IMO.

btw, other tips for using this forum, like how to embed links in threads, can be found in the New To Kitchens? Posting Pics? Read Me!

Thanks, Aliris, I only changed the order of one photo, moving the long view of the kitchen up to the first spot.

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

You must be doing a happy dance everytime you walk into this wonderful new kitchen! It's beautiful! I love the color of the cabs and the island with the granite. Love the open shelves in the island and the wall color. Two of my favorites are your island pendants and your sink and faucet combination. Thanks for sharing!

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

I love it!! It now has me rethinking the shaker look I was going to do... maybe I should do a more traditional look!! aaaggghhh!!

I love your pendants! I love it all! Your kitchen has such a warm homey look, I want to come over for coffee..LOL! Beautiful job!

• tinker_2006
    12 years ago

Great job, I LOVE your new kitchen!! Everything came together just beautiful!

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

I really like what you have done. It all fits together perfectly and is very inviting. Great job!

Nancy

• Lori Ryan
    12 years ago

Very beautiful transformation! You have so much more usable space. I love the granite! I love the curve. Great job! I am sure you will love working in your new kitchen.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

The island is just gorgeous, and I love your layout.

The pendants you picked out have been at the top of my list for a while. I may do just the bronze without the glass, but with the glass looks perfect in your kitchen. How are you liking them? How big is the island they are over?

Great job!

• batmansmama
    12 years ago

Stunning! What a gorgeous transformation!

• Amy M
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love the pendants now. The island is 5x6. Cabinets underneath are 4x6 and then the curved overhang. I liked the bronze also but the white reminded me of a lighthouse...I first wasn't sure after they were put in because they were so white but dimmed they are a nice glow.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

I love your new kitchen! The cabinets are beautiful! The backsplash is beautiful and goes so well with the cabinets and the counters. I would love to see a closer picture of your beautiful granite counters. I love the lighting you now have. Can you tell me the size of the recessed lighting cans you used and what type of bulb? The new appliances are gorgeous! All your windows in your kitchen is what I wish I had. The "Island pendants and Chandelier: Murray Feiss" are perfect! I love the Standish White Paint and now I will get a sample of that paint. Thank you for sharing. Congratulations on your new beautiful and functional kitchen!

• Amy M
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is the only closeup I have at the moment...

• enduring
    12 years ago

Perfect!

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

Seriously. Wow. Love it. Congrats on finishing!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I made some lemon ginger cookies tonight. I'd love to bring them over and enjoy a cup of tea in your beautiful new kitchen. The MF light fixtures you chose compliment your kitchen perfectly. Congratulations on creating such an inviting space.

• francoise47
    12 years ago

I love your warm, classic, and timeless kitchen. Happy cooking!

• laxsupermom
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Love your great big island and the contrasting finish of it! Love the candlelier over the table, too. Your kitchen looks like such a perfect space to work in. Enjoy!

• claibo
    12 years ago

Love your kitchen. My cabinets are being torn out Thurs. Need to know abt lighting -- cans -- size ,type of bulb. Also under-cab lighting. I was thinking LED for both cans and under-cab. The only sample I can see is a short LED Kitchler under-cab . It looks so dim. I need light but am concerned with the amt of heat from a strip Xenon or halogen. I have some 5 " cans but the bulbs hang below the trim. I have tried an incandescent flood and a halogen with a frosted glass ( that is the bulb that hangs below trim) . I am installing more cans and am willing to remove the 5" ones tto make it look right. Please help!

• Amy M
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I used 5" commercial LED units from home depot. Instead of buying hi hats and then inserting a bulb, we have all in one units we installed. As far as undercounted lighting, we got the most economical, so they do get hot and I am constantly turning them off. At the time I didn't want to upgrade because so many things were coming up that we needed but I winder if I should have put more thought into bulbs. For now it is fine. I dint leave them on unless I am actively at the counter

• Linda
    12 years ago

That is gorgeous!!!! I could move right in and wouldn't want to change a thing!

• doraville
    12 years ago

What a great job! Enjoy!

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Aimport, first of all the close up of the granite is gorgeous! That is perfect granite for your kitchen!

Thanks for letting me know you used 5" commercial LED units from Home depot.

I am learning and I appreciate you for sharing. Enjoy your beautiful kitchen!

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Aimport, first of all the close up of the granite is gorgeous! That is perfect granite for your kitchen!

Thanks for letting me know you used 5" commercial LED units from Home depot.

I am learning and I appreciate you for sharing. Enjoy your beautiful kitchen!

• kitch2011
    12 years ago

Wonderful! We have similar cabinets for our new kitchen and I loved being able to see your backsplash as it is the one of the things I have left to pick.

We decided not to get a griddle or grill on our 36" DF Wolf range but after going to a Cooking Demonstartion tonight at our Wolf distributor I'm having second thoughts! Is it easy to keep clean?

• phallky03
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing! Is that an under counter television I see? Could you share what kind it is as I am looking for one?

• Amy M
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kitch2011: As far as keeping the griddle clean, it has a stainless steel cover that we keep on when we are not using it, and eventually want to get the built in cutting board theyu make, so the griddle itself, when not covered, does not look clean...lol..my husband seasoned it, so it is now a dark stained look, but after using, the food scrapes easily to a tray and the tray cleans easily.

phallky03: the tv is a samsung 19 inch LCD. since the cabinets are custom, we asked our contractor to make the bottom of that cabinet shorter, so that when mounted underneath (you can get mounts at PC richard) the tv folds up into the cabinet and can't be seen. The cable box sits inside the cabinet and we bought this wireless adapter so that you can turn the tv on and off without opening and closing the cabinet. This was all my husband...gadget obsessed!

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

AimPort, I love the Juperana Persia granite. I now have samples of this granite and the New Venetian Gold as well as a cabinet with fancier doors like yours since I am finding this is what I love and that seems to also go with my tiles. I was going to pain my cabinets for now but I may just get the new cabinets and granite before installing the floors. I really appreciate again for you sharing.

I am still trying to figure out the "color" of your beautiful hardware on the doors.