Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue_bee87

Granite choice mistake - too busy?

Sue-bee
10 years ago

Hi everyone, I just had granite installed and I don't know whether to love it or hate it. It appears much more busy now that it is in the house. Opinions please? Black splash suggestions? We were going for a beachy look but now I'm not sure we can pull that off.

Comments (56)

• User
    10 years ago

I think it can be hard, seeing granite installed for the first time.

I know mine looked different to me installed, than it did standing up outside at the granite yard.

I love your granite. It does not look busy to me at all...in fact, the shots from far away look very serene and calming. :)

You did a great job, IMHO!

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I agree - not too busy at all. I understand why you feel that way - right now it's all you see - but even just getting the appliances in will tone it down a lot.

It's a beautiful kitchen!

• mic111
    10 years ago

I LOVE it! I think your just in shock because it is new and not quite the way you pictured it in your mind's eye. But it is really pretty.

I see something silvery and metallic working for the back splash.

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

I LOVE IT!! I would go with something very calm for the backsplash. Something that adds texture, but not busy. We have very busy granite and a mini brick backsplash. It adds texture, but your eye is drawn to the granite, not the backsplash.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

I would stay away from any backsplash but a solid color solid surface in full height.

• kam76
    10 years ago

It is gorgeous!!! And looks lovely in your kitchen. One suggestion I saw that I thought was interesting in a design magazine was to get 4-5 different colors of white subway tile and arrange them randomly. From far away it just adds a little interest but it really reads white. It also allows to you to pick up the different white/creams in your granite.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    10 years ago

I give you permission to love it. I would look at glass or ceramic subway tile in a light or white for the backsplash.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

It's not too busy! Add a medium toned backsplash so your island doesn't become the Darth Vader in an otherwise very white room.

• ILoveCookie
    10 years ago

It looks like waves of sand on the beach. I think it's very pretty!

• jessrae
    10 years ago

I like it too! Looks similar to my river white (which I love!) We went with a grayish/beige glass tile backsplash with part glossy part matte tiles.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I think it's just the initial shock of seeing it installed. It's lovely, and yes, glass tile in one of the colors from your granite will look beautiful and give you that beachy vibe.

• jesshs
    10 years ago

I love it! Is there a frosted blue glass tile in a subway? it would look like seaglass and could be beautiful.

What is the name of the granite?

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

Too busy? Hardly. It rather adds some character to the kitchen. It will only seem busy if you go for a backsplash that competes for attention with the counters.

• heidia
    10 years ago

Love it! It is great-I would choose a very basic tile in the sandy shade of the darker veins in that granite...I agree with Gpraceman that it will only be an issue if you have a busy b/s.

• illinigirl
    10 years ago

It's beautiful. I also want to know the name of this stone.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I think it's gorgeous. I would stay away from any blues or greens in the backsplash, too much of a contrast. I would look at crackle tile in a sandy to ivory tone.
    Best bet is to go to store and bring home samples, even done of what you think won't work, and look at them. Your choices so far are really nice, don't second guess yourself

• IliN
    10 years ago

Is it fantasy brown quartzite? It was one of my faves!! I think it looks stunning! I would go for a plain warm porcelain subway tile, like a Michael Smith Ann sacks tile.

• crazybusytoo
    10 years ago

Loveee! I agree on the glass tiles.

Post some of the options. I'd like to at least see what a calm blue might look like...

• Amy Sumner
    10 years ago

I am very curious about the name of your granite too. It looks very much like a part of our Bianco Gita slab. Obviously I like your choice! ;) I'm not sure about the backsplash. I think I would tend to go simple and let the granite be the star. In our case the granite will be on the island and we are using a plain quartz on the perimeter. Can't wait to see your final reveal pix. Your kitchen will be stunning!

• miruca
    10 years ago

I love your granite ! It looks light and different from the normal swirl-it is very very beautiful.

We recently went through a similar situation with my DD granite - her vision was different from the reality once the granite was installed. There is quite a long thread on it as GW helped us bridge the gap. It has been about a month and now DD absolutely loves her granite. I hope that will happen for you too.

• rubyclaire
    10 years ago

Not too busy and very pretty! I would also suggest a pretty glass subway - such gorgeous options these days! Have fun and keep us posted.

• deegw
    10 years ago

I am very picky about granite. I think many of them are interesting stones but I could never imagine looking at them in my kitchen every day. Your granite is really lovely and beachy and it is a perfect start for the rest of the decorative choices in your kitchen.

Definitely pick a quiet backsplash, floor and paint color for the rest of the kitchen. I think you may have to reconsider your black island at some point but that's an easy fix.

• sreedesq
    10 years ago

I love your granite. It has a calming water effect. Once the kitchen is done and decorated, the granite will be slightly more restrained.

I think a tumbled pearl field tile would look great with it. The Pearl is not as pitted as most travertine and has a smoother, whiter look overall, that I find more timeless than most travertine. You would have to go check it out in person, but I'm linking a photo from the store and trying to copy an installed photo in the message, but that may not work.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=ernNCFH3aueNoM&tbnid=9kBuJiRqtIMJjM:&ved=&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.houzz.com%2Fdiscussions%2F150752%2FWHAT-COLOR-AND-KIND-OF-TILE-ON-THE-BACKSPLASH&ei=rHViUpHGKpX_4APKo4GYBg&psig=AFQjCNHZOIhN3DI9q9J5xV5z3Rr6qMBKKQ&ust=1382270765110714

Here is a link that might be useful: Pearl backsplash

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I like the stone. It looks like seafoam on wet sand to me and you can't get any beachier than that.

Sea-glass colored backsplash in a plain pattern with same color walls and some natural accessories and some intense sea blue and you would be so there.

here's my vision pic:

This post was edited by lazygardens on Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 12:41

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Sue-Bee - like others, I love your counter
    I love lazygarden's idea as well but might go with a bit more green than blue as your glass corner glass has a green tinge to it (but maybe not IRL)
    Enjoy the beach!

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

suebee-I rather like it. I like how it marries the white of your perimenter with the stain of your island. I don't think it looks busy at all. I am hoping to achieve that same thing when I get there. I can see how you would be concerned about backsplash though. Sorry I don't have a suggestion - I just wanted to say that I really like your choices and I think it looks fantastic so far!

lazygardens-wow - I first pulled this up on my phone and on the small screen I really thought that was a piece of stone instead of the waves on sand. Depicts it very nicely!

• Sue-bee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to you all for your responses. The granite is White Galaxy. The photos do not show it, but it has tons of white sparkles. Now that it has been a couple of days, I think I am going to love it. The quest for the perfect back splash tile is still ongoing. I will post some pictures soon to get more of your valuable feedback. Again, your support is so helpful!!

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

I like it, and I don't generally care for granites with "movement". I think part of what I like about your counter is the relatively linear movement - granites with swirly movement distract and disorient me, but yours just kinda flows straight through. I also agree that it's totally consistent with the beach theme.

This post was edited by GauchoGordo1993 on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 15:21

• annac54
    10 years ago

I think your granite is lovely, and you'll probably get used to is and love it. Here's one of my favorite kitchens, with a lovely backsplash just for one idea. I like the subtle variation in color of the mini-brick tiles. You can also search Houzz for "beach kitchen" or "coastal kitchen" and see a lot more projects. I know you'll find the right tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coastal kitchen

• Amy Sumner
    10 years ago

Sue-bee--White Galaxy is another name for Bianco Gita, per the sign on our slab. I thought I saw it's cousin in your beautiful slab. :) So glad you are settling in to loving it. Ours is not in, but I'll attach a picture of the slab so you can see why your beauty caught my eye. Happy for you!

• blackchamois
    10 years ago

Ditto what ILoveCookie said! I like it!

• jesshs
    10 years ago

Here is an example of a sea glass type of look that I was thinking would be fabulous in your kitchen. They have a range of 25 colors in their Beach Tile line.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beach Tile (bathroom pic)

• Sue-bee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi everyone. Just wanted to show the pictures of the kitchen after the back splash went in. Thanks to all for your help and support.

• Sue-bee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another pic.

• Sue-bee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another

• Sue-bee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more

• Sue-bee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last one :)

• Amy Sumner
    10 years ago

Wow, wow, wow. I hope you all love it now because the end result is stunning! Well done!

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Great job. Enjoy!

• phillyfeet
    10 years ago

Beautiful - love all of your choices!

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Looks lovely! I'm curious, what pulls did you use for your cabinets? I'm looking for something that is like the "standard" Euro Pulls, but has a little bit of an arch.

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

Beautiful! The pale green backsplash against the sand colored counters does remind me of a beach!

• threegraces
    10 years ago

Love it! How do you feel now that it's all put together?

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Uber clean and serene....I especially like the close-ups of your gorgeous backsplash. Congratulations, it's lovely!

• berardmr
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Would you share the backsplash details?

• Sue-bee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We do love it now that everything is complete and we are back to cooking in the kitchen. Choosing the back splash was the most difficult decision. I ordered samples from Ann Sacks, Walker Zanger, online tile stores and spent weekends visiting other specialty tile stores in Miami. Nothing seemed to fit right with our âÂÂbusy graniteâÂÂ. My husband found the tile at Home Depot of all places. The color is arctic ice. The cabinet hardware was purchased online at Kitchen-Cabinet-Hardware.com 26201-G10 (3 inch) and 9362-G10 (5 inch). We also thought the euro pulls may be too much and are very happy with the quality of these. I believe you can also get these steel bow pulls at Home Depot as a special order but they did not have the 3 inch size we needed for our smaller drawers.

Again, this forum helped me so much when planning the renovation and second guessing myself every step of the way. Thanks to all who contribute and take the time to post constructive advice and comments!! Happy New Year!

• lascatx
    10 years ago

The color of the backsplash is exactly what I pictured with it -- I was looking at the green tint to the glass in your cabinet door.

• gothaml
    10 years ago

It looks lovely, nice job!

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Great job and so happy you made friends with your gorgeous granite
    i bet your granite is happy to have found a new friend
    Congratulations and welcome to the ABB alumni club
    Now, we want to see KAW pictures!

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

It looks fabulous - glad you are happy now that it's all complete! A2 is right - we need KAW photos now!!