Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heidigo_gw

Electric receptable under cabinets?

heidigo
12 years ago

Hello!

I would like to NOT have electric receptacles on the backsplash wall so as to not interrupt the backsplash (which is still TBD). I know I have seen on GW others who have done this too(such as plugmold mounted under the cabs), but I can't seem to find those posts/pics! I need to show my contractor what I am talking about. Does anyone have any pics/links of what you (or others) have done? TIA!!

Comments (21)

• heidigo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks dianalo. Do you have a pic of how/where you put the plugmold? A picture is so much better to show what you want vs trying to explain it! And we don't keep any kitchen electrics on the counter, so we are good with not needing something to hide the cords. Thanks!

• function_first
    12 years ago

We have the angled plugmold and really like it. Yeah, the cords are visible when they go up like that but it has the advantage of not making the appliance sit out 2" to accommodate a big plug like our Rancillio stuff has, and it also is very easy to see when we are trying to plug something in (no moving appliances to see the plug or access it). At first the electrician put in a standard beige plug mold and it was so ugly I had them take it out and put one of these in -- the angled one is a little pricier (seems it was around $120 for 4'), but worth it. They also have more room than a standard one, making them less hassle/cost to install if you're paying by the hour.

Our contractor ordered it here for us (unfortunately they'll only sell to contractors):
    http://www.tasklighting.com/products/angle-power-strip/6069608

• mudworm
    12 years ago

Kris_ma, I'm sorry that I'm about to go off topic, but thought the same question could have come up during your installation -- the code requires outlets above countertops be G.F.I. protected. Does that not apply here or do you know that the circuit has a G.F.I. breaker?

• heidigo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

kris_ma - thanks for the pic. So from the angle of the picture, you can see the plugmold. I was thinking more that the plugmold would actually be on the bottom of the cab. Maybe that's what the contractor was thinking too and was not getting what I was saying! Can you see them when you look straight on at the cabs? Have you seen them where they are actually mounted on the bottom of the cabs?

dianalo - I totally misread your post - I was thinking cabinet where you said counter. So that is what you are saying - you have the plugmold along the counter?

mudworm - I didn't think about GFI on the plugmold. Kris_ma - do any of yours have GFI? Our old kitchen only had GFI outlet by the sink.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

You do need to have those on a GFI. However, there are a number of ways to accomplish that. You could have a regular receptacle with a GFI somewhere upstream, or you could use a GFI breaker.

Side note, Heidigo: note that I think you are NOT allowed to plug your UC lights in this branch circuit. (Note that kris_ma's do not do that.)

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

New construction / new outlets would need to be GFCI in the kitchen. This can be done at the power panel since the circuit will be dedicated for this purpose.

One can ask the cabinet maker for extra trim along the bottom of the front (say about an inch wide) to hide the lights and plugs.

• function_first
    12 years ago

@heidigo and mud worm: The installation instructions for this read: � Power source MUST be a 20 amp branch circuit protected by a GFCI at the panel or GFCI prior to the connection at APS

... so I'm assuming the electrician did one of those two things since we passed inspection.

@hedigo: as for whether you can see the plug (not the light) when you look at the cabinets -- kinda depends one where you're looking from. Close up, no. But from a distance, yes. And definitely when I'm sitting in my adjoining room, yes, I can see it. Since this one is brushed nickel it doesn't bother me -- the one they first put in (not an angled one) was beige and that really bothered me, hence the switch. They come in several colors (and combinations of casing and the plug color, too) so you make it blend with your backsplash or your tastes. I do have a light rail moulding, not a terribly deep one (3/4) and that covers the light and makes the plug mold less visible -- but not invisible.
    -- it seems like if you hung it upside down from under the cabinet you'd have a tough time seeing where the plugs go in without assuming a neck-twisting-lemme-see-under-here position, no? Also there's a transformer at the end in the wall (I think), I'm not sure how that would factor in to putting it upside down.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

My electrician put my GFI outlet "upstream" hidden in my pantry as I did NOT want those ugly outlets on my backsplash. Inspector had no trouble whatsoever at rough electrical inspection.

• jscout
    12 years ago

Here are mine. The GFCI is at the breaker.

Eye level:

Along bottom of cabinet:

Counter level:

• pondlily
    12 years ago

I have the same set up as jscout with outlets along the back and undercabinet lighting along the front. I like not having outlets breaking up the backsplash, and there are also a lot more outlets this way.

I really like both of your backsplashes jscout and kris ma! I am still searching for "the one"!

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

We were supposed to have the same setup as jscout with the plugmold outlets along the back underside of the cab and undercab lighting running just in front of it, however with our cabinet design, we did not like how the wires would be exposed coming from the wall into the end of the plugmold. In the end, we opted for putting a "low-profile" outlet box under each cabinet, then running the under cabinet light next to it. Both the lights & the outlets are all completely concealed by the light rail trim. I'll see if I can get a photo posted tomorrow :-)

• heidigo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for your replies and pics!

Thanks Angie_DIY, weedmeister & Kris_ma for the clarification on the GFI - I didn't realize they could be at the breaker level too. I'm sure the electrician must be aware of that.

breezygirl - I don't know what tile backsplash we are going to do yet and I never what have thought about not having the receptacles on the backsplash had I not seen it on GW - I've picked up so many things lurking on here over the past months! So then where exactly are your outlets?

jscout - ah, yes, that is what I was thinking! Thank you for posting your picture! I will have to show that one to my contractor.

Hi pondlily - do you have a picture? We are doing UCL too and would be interested to see how it's arranged under the cab with plugmold and ucl.

@mydreamhome - hhmm, I'm wondering with our cabs how the wiring will be with the plugmold. What was it with the cab design that would have wires exposed for the end of the plugmold? Would def love to see a picture of what you did!

Geesh, I thought I was pretty well prepared for when everything started with the kitchen remodel last week. I didn't even think about exactly what plugmold I wanted and where to mount it and trying to explain that to the electrician for him to do rough in!

• cherylmass
    12 years ago

I just ordered mine from Task Lighting (my husband is a contractor). Will post pics when installed.

Jscout, those look like nice low profile outlets. I couldn't find any online like that. All I found were outlets that were suited for workshops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Task Lighting Undercabinet Products

• heidigo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cherylmass - thanks for the info. And I agree jscout has nice low profile outlets which I haven't found online either.

jscout - Can you detail what they are and where you got them? Thanks!!

• heidigo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Anyone have more pics and details of what they did??

• jscout
    12 years ago

Sorry I haven't responded. Been working with my contractor getting my appliances in the last couple of days. I don't know what brand of plugmold they are. The electrician asked to if he could supply it, because that way be could have better control of the product. He said I would only have to pay his cost which I thought was fair. I also plan on adding LED lights along the front side, but that will be toward the end of the project.

I was at HD the other day and I think these might be the same or similar to the ones they sell there. I don't think these are tamper resistant, so they may or may not pass code in some jurisdictions. So far the electrician has done everything to code for my town, so it's possible that my town is fine with this.

In any case, those strips are about about 1 1/4 inches wide and about 3/4 inches deep, which explains why they're flush with my 3/4 inch light rail. They were installed about an inch off the backsplash so if I ever have to plug in a block power supply I should have some clearance. There is a larger junction box at the beginning of the run where the wire nuts are. It's double the thickness and the only part visible above light rail level at some angles.

I did ask about installing them at a 45 degree angle, but the electrician said these were so low profile that a 45 degree angle would have made them more visible. I didn't argue with him, because I thought it would be fine. I didn't have any problem locating an outlet when looking to plug something in.

Here's a close-up:

• heidigo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks jscout! I will check out what HD has. Thanks for the close-up pic - I think that is exactly what I'm looking for.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Thanks, heidigo, for this question and jscout for the answer. I think this could work great for me as well. Many thanks. I *wish* one set of cabinets had a false bottom on it like this; I thought I wanted it finished but now I'm realizing it would have been a perfect place for plugmold...

• Marilyn A
    8 years ago

Spoke to my electrician about installing this in my kitchen and he says he's got to get behind my cabs and open the drywall to see how the electrical runs! This sounds crazy! The house is only 18 yrs old and the kitchen is above the unfinished basement and has a vaulted ceiling. Is thee an easier way that tearing out walls?

• iRon lMoNKleY
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The drywall has to be opened in order for the electrician to see where the wires go so that an new outlet can be routed in your walls. Without doing this, you'd have to power our new outlet strip using sn existing outlet location or with a new outlet made running along the outside of your wall.

There isn't much to worry about because your wall is not going to be "torn down." A cutout the size of an outlet is usually made. Sometimes larger and sometimes another might have to be cut. Fear not because these can be patched to the point where you will not even know cutouts were made.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer