Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackace_gw

Best places to buy tile for backsplash?

BlackAce
11 years ago

Hello. We're to the point in our new construction where it's time to purchase the tile backsplash in the kitchen. We aren't planning anything fancy, probably just a basic ceremic or travertine 6x6 in a grid like what we have in our current home.

We'll need to have it installed as well. Since I've never shopped for tile before (the floor tile was purchased and installed as an option from our builder), my wife and I aren't sure where to start. We obviously don't want to get ripped off, either by the tile store or the installer.

Can you give us pointers as to where to start shopping for the best deals, and also counsel us on how to find a good installer--if not using the store itself?

Comment (1)

• toepytoe
    11 years ago

After all my samples from on line stores and visiting tile stores I decided to buy from HD for 3x6 marble tiles. After much debate I also decided to go with a grecian white marble backsplash that didn't take the focus away from the counters. At the brick and morter tile stores I was quoted 3x's more per sq ft. I'll buy from HD because marble pieces vary, so returning or exchanging my tiles would be more conveinent. We may have a friend install if he's available or will talk to the guys who installed our counters. We have not received any quotes from installers yet. I am hoping the price will be reasonable.