michelew9090

Michelew90 Backsplash Quest4

michelew90
9 years ago

Kitchen photo

Comments (142)

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I struggled with the initials, too. ;Is the texture of the Bianca piece in the running now?

• romy718
    9 years ago

My feeling is that the textured as the 4x4 would be too textured with the crackle & the diamond pattern.
    Edit:added pic

This post was edited by romy718 on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 0:59

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

KD-the Bianca texture was brought up for a few reasons: 1. The color may be better than chic since some of the chics look too dirty and that look really doesn't jive with this kitchen. Even so, the chics may look better once it's all grouted. 2. The texture is being considered first as a bottom row option and second as a possible liner because some of the others seem too traditional. 3. I just happened to have one here so it was convenient to show it. My feeling right now would be to use texture in the liner-I don't like the look of squares on the bottom touching the granite....**or another option could be to use the textured chic or Bianca as the diamonds (this might kick up the design to transitional and copy the sweeping texture of the granite)... This would be so much easier if I just had an Encore store in my basement to play with all these scenarios

This post was edited by michelew90 on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 6:22

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

This is a terrible picture but I love this layout. It has the sparkly little 1x1 tiles dispersed throughout the argyle tiles. It was impressive in person, not sure why it's so blurry, but maybe you can at least see the layout.

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is in Bianca matte next to smoke crackle

This post was edited by michelew90 on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 6:45

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I would do the textured liner only. Not a fan of Lowell in anything larger than a liner.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I like Bianca next to Smoke, colorwise. I also like that it is a lighter liner against a darker field. I also very much like the idea of a more modern or transitional liner than the "rope" type liners with the rest of the MK. I agree that it would have to be just a narrow liner, though. Wondering how Burns in Bianca would look as a narrow liner.

Edited to add: Twain didn't get much love when I mentioned it a few threads ago. Is that a no-go for a textured tile?

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 10:57

• romy718
    9 years ago

I had a pic @ 20:32 last night of Burns as a liner, gone this morning. I just added it.
    The Rhombus on the upper right is a mix of Bianca & Chic. It really shows the dark shading of Chic.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Chic doesn't work. I had the same reaction when looking at this.
    However, if a row of these in the right color with the right gem, set on point, might work as a transition from counter top to backsplash.

Not sure how the measurements would work out, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gem

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Burns looks good in the pic you added, romy. I think it has just the right amount of texture, but it's hard to say what happens in a 1/2". So if the diamond was done in Bianca matte, would the textured liner be done in a gloss? I think it needs a little shine. Are we talking about doing a textured liner like Burns in Bianca matte too?

Which one is Twain?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

KD, are you suggesting using Gem as the light colored band? If so, I think it would dominate. It's such a strong geometric in photos I've seen of that type of modern tile. I think that the Concept 1 diamond works because it's softened by using the liner between diamonds. It sort of blurs the hard edges. The light tile in the dark field is what's appealing to me, more than making a style statement inside the band. By keeping the shape softer/simpler, it won't compete with the rest of the MK.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I still think the best option for the bottom is the two rows of field tile. It looks great in the Concept 1 pic. I don't care at all the the ornate version & posted that pic only to show the liner options, not to show that the bottom should be different. That pic has Peace as the top liner.
    I like the Burns. I bet it would sparkle in the Smoke crackle. The blue pic above is Burns in Cerulean crackle.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Has anyone seen "Milk Gloss Glaze" in real life?

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is this where were all going?

Fields: smoke bricks
    Wide band: diamonds in matte (maybe Bianca since we're not loving chic)
    Two skinny liners in Burns or Lowell-we've abandoned the traditional liners
    Accents in smoke or gem?

Oh and btw-the renovations never end with me-I've been refinishing my basement while this threads been going on...almost done...so much easier than backsplash. I'll be gutting my master bath after that while looking for another house to fix up.

This post was edited by michelew90 on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 10:56

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Not sure how Gem is being used--cutting the mosaic and using them as decos?--totally lost! I'm not even sure you need a deco if you use Lowell, but I'm okay with the rest of the plan.

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh I thought you recommended the liner in matte..I think either way would look good But I'll have to try it. The matte would make the band bigger looking -right?
    KD-you're suggesting substituting rhombus for squares on diamond-correct?
    Milk is too white (pretty though). I think there was a piece of it in a hexagon mosaic I posted in a thread a while back.

This post was edited by michelew90 on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 11:05

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think she means substituting gems for a deco amongst the diamonds

Page 14,15 show each texture in matte and crackle

Here is a link that might be useful: Encore catalog

This post was edited by michelew90 on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 11:18

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

So then, from the counter top up, two rows of brick in Smoke.
    A liner in Burns in some version of white (not Chic).
    Diamonds in matte. Would that also be white? I'd like it to contrast. Or alternate matte white and Smoke.
    Another liner as before.
    Field tiles in Smoke.
    Does that sound right?

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes. Could also throw in a row of smoke liner to add something instead of alternating smoke in the diamonds-it would have to be plain though...I did this a while ago using chocolate-ignore the rest-just look at the two liners next to each other one would be matte and one could be smoke crackle (texture and liner actually)
    I hope that's not confusing

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here they are next to each other again (that liner is storm color). The liners "stick out" more than the skinny fields in texture which are flush with fields.

This post was edited by michelew90 on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 11:36

• Gracie
    9 years ago

If you alternate the diamonds, you have checkerboard, which we all agreed we didn't like (except for TD and hubby). Don't accentuate the diamonds. That's why all those suggestions in the other three threads didn't feel right--we had too much competing shape. Don't forget the band itself adds shape.

The Smoke liner with Chic did keep the tones similar within the band, so I'd duplicate that.

• romy718
    9 years ago

In the Concept 1 backsplash, the liners are in the brick color (Stunning). The Smoke Crackle in the Burns would sparkle more than Burns in Bianca. I don't see a benefit in two different colored rows of liners.
    Not a fan of alternating white & Smoke Diamonds. The variation in the Smoke will work in the field tile as it will all blend. Variation in Smoke in 4x4's next to a white 4x4's could be glaring. Plus, a checkerboard is just too busy for MK. I like the decos in Smoke Crackle to further tie the Smoke & white together. The Concept 1 has the deco in the field tile color (Stunning).
    I believe there is a Jewel color very similar to Smoke if you wanted to do something sparkly.

So this is where I am while recognizing this is not my kitchen:
    From the countertop up:
    1. 2 rows of Smoke field tile, 2x4 or 2x6
    2. 1/2" liner in Burns, Smoke Crackle. Also, get a 1" sample to compare. We like options.
    3. 4 " Squares in Bianca in Diamond orientation, I'd also bring some samples of the white glosses as KD suggested. We like options.
    4. Deco TBD. Note how Deco is centered in Ornate Concept 1 pic. May pointed that out & it looks great.
    5. Repeat liner in Smoke Crackle
    6.Smoke field tile in 2x4 or 2x6
    There are only five 1" Decos to choose from or something sparkly.
    Edit: May & I were posting at the same time. I'm a slower typer & wrote a book.

This post was edited by romy718 on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 12:21

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

KD-Here's a pic I took in the showroom, twain with Lowell outline

This post was edited by michelew90 on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 16:26

• romy718
    9 years ago

Your showroom has fabulous displays & samples. Too bad they don't have a fabulous TD.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

There is a much subtler image of Twain on the website. Having trouble linking via iphone, but it's moot now that I see tiny decos are still in play. I thought they were out and I wanted to crank things up a notch. Hence the Gem idea, too.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Your showroom has fabulous displays & samples. Too bad they don't have a fabulous TD.

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Agree with posting by Romy at 12:15

Beverage area: just subways
    Anything above shelf?

This post was edited by michelew90 on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 14:39

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Subways.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

"The liners "stick out" more than the skinny fields in texture which are flush with fields."

I think that's a good thing about the textured fields. Sounds like it will have a sophisticated and transitional look, and best of all, it puts your own stamp on the design.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Is there under cabinet lighting for that shelf & what are the dimensions? If it's appropriate to tile that area, I'd say field tile.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

This is off topic, but do you know the details of the center of this backsplah, posted upthread?

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think it is encore (page 41 catalog) or Pratt and larson but I'm not sure.

There is no light on the shelf but I could have one added.

• romy718
    9 years ago

This is a combination of a couple of different manufacturers. The subway field tile is Daltile Rittenhouse Square Tile in the color Almond.
    Over the Range:
    The tile in the middle is:
    1. Pratt and Larson Bas Relief Tile in VR1. Those are 6" tiles set on the diagonal (diamond orientation). The color was not stated on Houzz.
    2. Surrounding the VR1 is another manufacturer: Lunada Bay Tile, Old Fashioned Glass, 2"x"2 tiles, color unknown.
    3. Pratt and Larson Liner in DCC Fringe 1" x 8".
    It's a pretty combination. I especially like the liner. It reminds me of milk glass.

• michelew90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Romy should be a detective! I love that photo. The center reminds me of that "frothiness in the granite you referred to.
    Having doubts KD? Its always a good idea to have another option in hand.
    I'm going back to tile store later today to see the "line drawing" of the concept 1 scenario. I want more samples like a subway or two in smoke, Bianca and maybe another white, and textured skinnies- but I don't know what they'll have. I can't see myself ordering the entire backsplash without seeing samples in my kitchen.

This post was edited by michelew90 on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 6:29

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Thanks, Romy. Yup, still thinking about frothiness, but I thought we had abandoned that for the MK. Just thought there might be future frothy needs in other kitchens, but I only have limited time lately due to lots of ranch goings on.

• romy718
    9 years ago

May posted that pic & I'm sure she would have identified the tile for KD.
    I am becoming familiar enough with Encore, P&L, Sonoma, Fireclay, Quermere & a few others that I recognized this as Pratt and Larson.
    "Ranch goings on", that sounds fun but I know it is a lot of work- enjoyable work.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I think that was Michele's photo.

Is anyone else feeling excited about the textured liners? I'm so anxious to see if they change the band from traditional to a little more modern. I hope Burns gives it enough texture because Lowell might look like puckered fabric around a smooth tile.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Totally agree, May.
    I stumbled upon this site yesterday, and I thought I would mention it here because this thread has a bit of a subtext about tile sources.

Here is a link that might be useful: Complete Tile

• kksmama
    9 years ago

Michelew90, did you settle on a backsplash?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I've been wondering too.

• romy718
    9 years ago

May - I've missed you! I haven't seen any of your posts lately. Although, I haven't been on GW as much recently - busy w/ holidays.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Hi romy. I read the forum everyday. I guess I need a new quest to prod me into posting!

Happy holidays to you!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Happy holidays to you, May, & to KD, Kksmama, Michelle & all our GW friends.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

And the same to everyone!

I'd love an update, too.

• auntie_ellen boston
    8 years ago

Any update on this? Beautiful kitchen!

• oldbat2be
    8 years ago

Michelew90 - Your beautiful kitchen is still on my mind too. Any update? No update is an update that we all understand as well... Life sometimes just gets in the way.

• mayflowers
    8 years ago

My guess is she priced it all and is still speechless.

• Kassandra Miller
    8 years ago

I read & skimmed through all 4 or 5 threads on this because we're getting ready to do our kitchen in a very similar color scheme. I was hoping when I got to the end there would be a picture of her finished kitchen... I must admit that a number of the color schemes for the backsplash did not do anything for me until I saw Concept #1, which was not introduced until the previous thread (at least not that I saw). My concern with a dark(ish) countertop & a light backsplash is there is no flow, no continuity, no blend from counter up wall (even though cabinets are light)... it's just "BAM! counter ends here, backsplash starts here". But Concept #1 seemed to work, at least on a computer screen. @michelew90 - did you ever make a final decision? If you did I would love to see pictures.

• michelew90
    5 years ago

I do have final pics of my kitchen If anyone is interested—message me and I’ll send.

• mayflowers
    5 years ago

Hi Michele! I'd love to see how it turned out! You don't have messages enabled but you can message me.