Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
material for table in kitchen booth

Posted by lakewillow (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 12, 12 at 9:13

I recently bought a 1920s era house with a very small booth eating area in the kitchen. They had a laminate covered mystery material table in the booth, so it had to go. Now I'm trying to decide what wood material to make the new table and where to start. Would a cabinet maker be able to make a custom table for me? It would be affixed to the wall and have a single leg support. Would you go with oak? It has to be very durable and low maintenance. I don't like the idea of having to seal and re-seal butcher block. Thanks from a real newbie. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: material for table in kitchen booth

A custom cab maker might be able to make a table. It depends. You'll have to ask.

I have a DR table made of QS oak. It started as an antique piece, but the top couldn't be saved when they went to refinish it, plus I needed a few leaves that would have to be made new anyway. A new top was made to go on the antique legs. I didn't think to ask how the top would be finished. Turns out they coated it with some kind of poly. It's more durable than my other small antique dining table. Maybe something like that could be an option.

o
RE: material for table in kitchen booth

Consider butcher block that has a non=oiled finish, more like a varnish than an oil. Try Bally in Bally, PA. I forget what they call that finish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here