Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

I Sneak You Into the Show

Photography is prohibited at the International Surface Event East, Miami Beach, Florida, but those with press credentials are exempted. So my friends here get a sneak peek at the very latest goodies:

You're looking at the next big thing, a Top Zero sink undermounted in 3cm granite. I don't like the pencil edge profile, but there's no reason a larger profile couldn't be used. I watched their installation video. I dislike when I'm sure my methods are better than those described by the manufacturer. I'd use Integra Composite Bonder between the sink side and the stone when setting the sink instead of a topical bead of sealant after the fact as they recommend.

The lack of a silicone joint between the bottom of the stone and the sink flange makes these very attractive and sanitary. Don't even think about having a non-CNC fabricator set one of these or ever removing or replacing one.

You've heard me talk about the Seam Phantom previously; I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. Non-CNC fabricators can achieve spectacular seams with this tool by hand. Remember, that second picture is just butted together. Imagine it with color matched adhesive and a quick level and polish.

Semi-precious stones smushed together to make slabs have been around for a while, but these are particularly nice and there were others. If you have to ask, you can't afford it. I'd guess 10K a slab and if I break it you'll buy another without complaint.

There is book matching, then there is book matching. I kicked 'em out of their own display to get this picture. Lol.

There is a lot of tile here. Yes, that's real turquoise mined in Arizona.

We are staying at the Waldorf Towers, in the Art Deco district. We stayed here 27 years ago when we came for the Art Deco Festival. We couldn't afford the $30.00 upgrade for the ocean view room and the $50.00 bottle of wine back then. Pleasant memories.

I've got to get back to the show this morning; we are leaving this afternoon. They didn't have decaff and I get a little chatty when I drink the hard stuff. Let's hope for the best.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Tue, Oct 21, 14 at 9:19

Comments (23)

• violetwest
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

these are great, Trebuchet, thank you so much. Don't understand half the terminology, but I don't care.

• glitter_and_guns
    9 years ago

ohhhh Thanks for the sneak peek! I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE that brown tigers eye looking tile. I would love to put that around my fireplace. But I feel sure that I could afford one tile, not the boxes it would take. Very pretty.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Violet.West:

Just let me know which terms you don't understand and I'll explain if someone else doesn't get to you first.

• letsbehonest
    9 years ago

Wow! Thanks for sharing. The pics are awesome! And I'm jealous of your beach lounging.

• marykh
    9 years ago

Bless you!

• violetwest
    9 years ago

well, I was rather wondering what "CNC" means.

Not a regular kitchen forum visitor, but Thank You Most Recent Posts.

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

Love it! Thanks for sneaking us in. :-)

I like how the Topzero logo looks a bit like the Tesla logo. Two products on my wish list...

This post was edited by chicagoans on Tue, Oct 21, 14 at 11:51

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

That must have been fun. Great photos--thank you!

• blfenton
    9 years ago

How do I get a pass, any kind. I'm not fussy.

That tile in the second tile photo, top right, is that the Turquoise`?, is stunning. It would look amazing in my kitchen. Now, how to get DH to go along with removing the copper tiles from behind the stove and putting that in instead. mmmm.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

That's the kind of eye candy I could look at for hours! :)

• crl_
    9 years ago

Sweet. Thanks!

• specialgranny
    9 years ago

This might be a silly question...but what does it mean to be a CNC fabricator?
    Or to not be one for that matter!

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

CNC means computer numerical control. Essentially they program a computer to cut the stone instead of doing it by hand. It is much more precise.

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

What exactly is a Top Zero sink? Is it a kind of sink that is able to be undermounted but just barely? I'd love that!

Thanks, Tre!

• bpath
    9 years ago

I didn't even know there WAS a Surface show, and an East one to boot; so there's a West? Will we see a shot of your tootsies with a cactus in the background?

Thanks for sneaking us in to this Art Show, some tremendous goods there :0

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Same question as lisa_a - top zero sink undermounted in granite. Do you cut the outline of the sink edges on the underside of the stone, so that the stone in a way becomes the silicone joint?

Are there 5 seams in the 'there is bookmatching and then there is bookmatching' picture? That picture was a little disorienting at first and I had to zoom way in.

Thanks for the 'press pass.' If you have updates, please post more pictures!

• violetwest
    9 years ago

thank you, Texas Gem for the info on CNC.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Thanks for the sneak preview!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This picture may make the sink installation more clear. You imbed female brass threads in epoxy to the stone bottom and the flanges shown are screwed into them.

Apparently a CNC machine isn't necessary to fit this sink; they show a hand installation on their video. I hate to sound so critical, but after watching their video, these guys don't know much about fabrication.

I wish I had one of these, some scrap 3cm, access to a CNC, and an afternoon. It would be amazing.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"How do I get a pass, any kind. I'm not fussy."

blfenton:

Submit your credentials to the show and they give you a yea or nay. By the way Houzz sponsored a private area stocked with food and drinks for us exclusively. Thanks to them.

"That tile in the second tile photo, top right, is that the Turquoise`?"

Yes, and I've included another for your viewing pleasure.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Love the tile, love the sink! For some reason, the photo of "semi-precious stones smushed together" looks like oysters and, well.... boobs. Even if I could afford it, I think I'd pass. ;O

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"For some reason, the photo of "semi-precious stones smushed together" looks like oysters and, well.... boobs."

And the problem?...

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

"Oysters and boobs!"
    I was so unprepared for that, I can't stop laughing.

Really neat stuff, Treb! Thanks for sharing. I'm sure I can"t afford any of it, but it sure is fun to see!

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars150 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource