Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eks6426

Help me design a wood range hood cover

eks6426
14 years ago

So, last night I was watching HGTV and my husband actually watched some of it too. We were watching a Divine Design with Candice Olsen and she did a kitchen. The kitchen featured warm white cabinets just like ours will be. Instead of a stainless range hood, she used a wood cover for an insert. My husband actually commented that he liked the look better than the stainless range hood.

So, I started thinking if I could do a wood range hood instead. Here's my basic layout as it would be now. Range is a 36" Dacor duel fuel. Above it would be a Kobe stainless range hood (9" tall, 22" deep) and above that would be a shorter cabinet. On each side of the range hood would be a 15" cabinet and then next to each 15" cabinet is metal wire shelving that will be in front of windows. The 15" cabinets are important to me because they are really my only upper closed cabinets near the range (I'll be keeping things like oil/vinegars etc there).

Here is the layout although the scale got a bit distorted:

Most of the wood hoods I have seen look very boxy unless they are over huge 60" ranges and done more like a mantal/hearth set up. It seems the ones done on a 36" range, especially if there are cabinets on each side, just seem to add to the bulk.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on wood range hoods that would work with my set up? We are having cabinets custom designed so if I can draw it, I can get it built.

Thanks!

Comments (19)

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Two suggestions an one question:

1 - Install the range hood insert first, then build a hood around it. Keep the 'decorative cover' aspect and the 'functional appliance' aspect separate to the extent possible.

2 - While I hear you on the uppers for storage, do keep in mind that your proposed storage location is actually the worst possible location for storing spices, oils and similar foodstuffs that deteriorate with heat and humidity.

Question: How do you envision using that small sink on the right? I'm normally a huge fan of prep sinks, but I don't see that location adding any functionality that isn't already provided by the first sink...

• jackals
    14 years ago

Do a web search for Stanischi wood hoods to get some ideas - you can also go to kitchen accessories on the web to get ideas - make sure that your Kobe has the horsepower and baffle filters for your Wolf Range - they pump out a lot of heat and hence smoke

Here is a link that might be useful: Custom Range Hoods

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

Yowza! What a great site, jackals, thank you. Their gallery has the best collection of metal range hoods I've ever seen in one place. Lots of ideas ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Custom Metal Hood Designs gallery

• segbrown
    14 years ago

You could do faux doors, so it looks like a run of 3 or 4 cabinets...

• peace_rose
    14 years ago

Just wondering if you came up with a range hood design that you like? I stumbled across your post because we too, have windows on each side of a 36" range, with 15" cabinets on either side of the hood, and I'm trying to design my own as well!

Tonight I was flipping through magazines and had the idea to combine elements from these pictures:

I like the shelving above the range in the 2nd photo, and it could be incorporated with your metal shelving to create the image of a line from one side of the room to the other. Even though the shelves above the stove aren't ideal for spices and oils, I can completely identify with your desire to have some storage there. How about shorter cabinets on either side of the stove? Like ones that would sit higher, like 21" off the counter? Then the shelf above the stove could be at the same height as the bottom of the cabinet.

Not sure if that all makes sense or not. I'd love to hear an update about your progress!
    Peace_Rose

• country_smile
    14 years ago

jackals - thanks for the link to the range hood site. I even recognized some kitchens that are posted here on GW!

• tntwalter
    14 years ago

By about double.

I was sad to learn that. And kobe doesn't make a 30" insert for my 30".

Here are some of my faves. I'd nix the cabinets and do a FAB hood mantle....

mine are all between cabinets because that's where mine would go...

You could do a shelf on the backsplash for oils, salt pepper, etc.

Trish

• eks6426
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am still undecided on the range hood. I really don't want to loose the cabinets next to the range. I have very few upper cabinets and these 2 are important. I nixed most of my uppers to install the windows. I could be ok with loosing the cabinet above the range hood. I do understand that it's not all that useful. I am still having trouble coming up with a look that isn't boxy. The stove wall in my kitchen is mostly seen from the side rather than from looking directly at the stove. The wood hood sticking out in the designs really does look bulky.....

I love the Modern Aire barrel style hood. I think that could work with my kitchen design. But they are too expensive.

joseph7505--I'd love to hear your ideas about a hood for my kitchen. Can you give me some design ideas that would keep the 2 15" cabinets?

• sfjeff
    14 years ago

eks -- I hear ya on losing the cabinets. We only have two, and they flank the hood, much like you are considering. Modern-Aire makes beautiful and beautifully-functional pieces, for sure. I don't think you can go wrong with their product. Independent and Prestige make some nice liners, as well as some more utilitarian-styled hoods.

If the "weight" of a boxy hood concerns you, maybe something along the lines of a chimney-style hood? Either the pyramid style (though if you don't haave any space between it and the side cabinets you'll have a tight V that can be hard to clean), or the "vacuum cleaner head" style -- like the Modern-Aire PS-25?

Whatever you do, check your local building code/inspection practice for clearance to flammable materials. I'd hate to hear that you build something beautiful, but since the cabinet lip was at 35 1/2" off the burner grates (just an example, not a real requirement), the inspector was making you rip it out.

• boysrus2
    14 years ago

My stove wall is seen from the side too, and it doesn't look obtrusive at all. It doesn't stick out as far as some of those pictured and isn't as dramatic. Part of that drama comes from raising the mantle area up higher than the other cabs. I couldn't do that in my design as the exhaust vent runs through the cabinet to the right of the mantle

Here's mine that was built on site.

(No backsplash yet)

• peace_rose
    14 years ago

I keep wondering if it's possible to modify some of the hoods that have been suggested. The columns are very grand looking, but I think that extending them all the way to the counter interrupts the flow of the room from one side to another.

My photo editing skills have a lot to be desired, but how about something like this:

(I tried to mimic the windows and shelves in your original picture). Is this too boxy for your tastes? I think the challenge is to connect the hood with the rest of the room, because since there's no cabinets next to it, it might be easy for it to just dangle out there on its own.

I'm thinking that those narrow cabinets on either side of the range could still be used for storing items that you want within reach.

• eks6426
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm having a hard time envisioning the total mantle hood look with the columns working in my fairly simple kitchen. I like the idea of trying to blend the cabinets into the whole hood but not to the counter like in peace rose's picture.

Love the idea of trying the foam board. I think we'll give that a shot.

Here is a picture of one that I thought could work. What do you think?
    {{gwi:1472919}}

Here is the layout of my room. Those 15" cabinets would have oils and such but also casserole dishes, mixing bowls etc.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Here is a great pic I saw that might help with ideas
    for you.

other hoods
    I love the look of a built in hood in a white kitchen.

WeddingtonDesigns

Chandelier in Kitchen image

White Oak Floor Imagine blog

White Kitchens google

HB

William Hefner Open Kitchen Concealed

Yosowat Kitchen Design

Google Image white kitchens

Ann Sacks Seaglass tile

Caccoma design

• joseph7505
    14 years ago

I just have a minute because I really came in here at 6:00 a.m. to work on my blog site!

eks6426, I think it just depends on what you have your heart set on for your kitchen. I have already expressed my views on kitchen hoods, but IÂm not an oracle, just a guy with an opinion. The white one you just posted, though, could easily be modified to have your 15" cabinets on either side, and if those cabinets are the most important part of that particular configuration to you, then that is a very rewarding direction in which to go.

Also, looking at the picture you posted, I find it difficult to believe that the people with this hood actually use the cabinet above the stove/hood for any significant storage, because to access it they would have to move those plates. There might be some Christmas dishes behind those doors, or nothing at all! But it is a nice treatment for that particular kitchen, and it is something other than the usual, bland range hood.

The glory of kitchen hoods, though, is that you can do just about anything with them, and especially this is so if you have one custom built. I have suggested using your cabinetmaker, but there are also companies that make custom hoods out of masonry, the metal I linked to in my earlier postings, and a number of artificial materials. All you need for the hood is the actual hood mechanism itself, which can be purchased separately. Now build something around it, and since youÂre designing it yourself, or commissioning someone to design it, the only thing that limits you is imagination.

In your case, eks6426, since you already have the custom cabinetmaker working for you, I stand by my earlier advice. Work with him and see what happens. Truthfully, I donÂt think you can go wrong with a custom wooden hood, if you work to integrate it into the rest of the kitchen. The spectacular ones with columns work well for some kitchens, but not all of them. The one you just posted works well, too, for some kitchens. It just depends on what you want and how the rest of the kitchen is designed.

But you get to decide, because itÂs your kitchen. You know what you want for your kitchen, what you have been fantasizing using for so long a time now. And if those 15" cabinets on either side are what you most often think about, then, by golly, make sure that whatever hood you eventually install has those cabinets.

OK, my blogs are waiting for me. But good luck with your kitchen. I wish I had that much space in our home, but we have long since decided that weÂre not going to undergo the major renovation that would be necessary for us to have a big kitchen. WeÂll start small and stay small!

• joseph7505
    14 years ago

Boxerpups, you're faster than a speeding bullet! While I was writing my response you posted all those pictures. But it very much makes my point, which is that you can pretty much do anything you want with a kitchen hood, so why go bland? OK, now I really am going to work on my blogs.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Thanks Joseph7505.
    Get those pictures up and send me a link. I love
    reading blogs.
    ~boxer

• eks6426
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think part of the challenge is that all the amazing hoods seem to be in rooms with taller ceilings. I only have under 8'--93 1/4" to be exact.

I don't think the columns to the counter fit in my case because this is also my main prep area. In the picture I posted, there are cabinets up there, but it could easily be solid. If I put anything up there, it would be liquor bottles that we don't use much.

But, I'm thinking...will talk to the cabinet guy. I am definitely going to try the mockup. I think I'll make the 15" cabinets too and then play with the range hood to get the total effect.

• peace_rose
    14 years ago

Duh. I totally forgot about this thread I started a while back. There are some great photos posted, too:

Here is a link that might be useful: More range hood photos with windows on either side

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz