Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aries61

What do you think of this for a wood hood? Conestoga Cabinets

aries61
9 years ago

Doing Conestoga cabinets and really not fond of any of their hoods and since they will do custom cabinets I figure I would design one myself.

I drew up the attached design myself. It's going to be beaded raised panel painted inset cabinets. Do you like it as is or should I make changes to it? The only thing that I thought of doing was adding some molding between the beading at the bottom of the upper doors and the upper part of the arch.

Any other suggestions or comments?

Thanks

Comments (15)

• springroz
    9 years ago

Beautiful! That should look wonderful as a hood.

• Jeannine Fay
    9 years ago

I like it too. Very simple yet elegant. You will enjoy seeing your vision come to life.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

What is the width of the cooktop below? What is the width of the hood? The depth? What liner are you using? The height above the cooking zone? Doing a wood hood is about a lot more than if it's aesthetically pleasing. (I would add a shelf, personally.) There are fire safety and functionality concerns with it matching up to the liner.

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To answer GreenDesigns questions: It's a 30" range, 36" range hood width,22" deep, looking at several different liners, 30" above the cooking zone.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Hmmm. To me, it's pretty, but it looks like the bottom of a (lower) cabinet.

How about something like this? I do like the idea of a shelf.

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Princeton Design-Build Firms Lasley Brahaney Architecture + Construction

Green Designs - is 30" the correct height above the counter? I measured and we have 33" (with 8' ceilings). I seem to recall a comment from someone about our hood being too short.

Aries- we designed and installed our own wood hood and liner, and I've questioned what I could have done differently in the design. Would you be willing to post a picture of the hood area?

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Sat, Oct 25, 14 at 10:06

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

The distance to hood is usually spec'd by the range/ cooktop mfg.
    I know with Bluestar, it is minimum 30", to max. 36", which is where I mounted mine, and it works fine. In my case, a hood lower than 33" would seem to be a head knocker, or at least feel like one. (mine is 27" deep, though)

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oldbat2be: The hood you posted is nice. We always question ourselves after we do things.

Someone else on GW made his own hood from Conestoga, but unfortunately hasn't posted it yet so not sure what he did. I've seen some nice hoods from a few cabinet manufacturer such as Mid Continent and Showplace and they were reasonably priced. Personally I think range hoods from most cabinet manufacturers are overpriced and many buy them from Stanisci Design.

Here's the range hood wall.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

The two panels do look like doors, so I'd do three.

My sister has that valance on her hood. Those narrow side panels end about where the photo cuts them off.

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

may_flowers:Actually the two panels are doors for easy access to the inner workings of the blower and such.

• friedajune
    9 years ago

I am a little concerned about the 22" depth you mentioned. The liner inside will be even shallower. You may find that smoke and grease from things cooking on the front burners are not being captured, and consequently the grease will land on the hood's cabinet front instead of going up the exhaust. That's an extra cleaning chore for you, and negates the whole purpose of having a hood. I recommend you add a couple of inches of depth to the hood enclosure.

Have you checked the size of your exhaust ductwork? I hope it is 8" or 10" diameter which will work best to exhaust the smoke and grease.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Oldbat2be beat me to it. I was going to post the same picture (swfr's inspiration pic).

• Vertise
    9 years ago

First thing I thought was bottom of a cabinet too. I would try to get around that. Also, the design must be seen in context for meaningful opinions.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

aries61 - have you ordered your cabinets yet, or are you still in the planning stages? akchicago's point was very good and you may want to start another thread to solicit input into the size of your sump/capture area.

Here's what we did for our wood hood with Conestoga panels. DH built a plywood box and secured it to the joists (I forget how). The cutouts are simply to reduce weight.

Here you can see the stainless steel surround we added to the inside:

This shot shows the sides of the hood. I'm including this as an example of a 'custom' wood hood and would welcome feedback on what's 'wrong' with ours. (I continue to think something is off with the design but LOVE the functionality - large capture area).

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oldbat2be, no I have not ordered anything yet, but hopefully soon since this has taken to much time. If I told anyone they wouldn't believe me. Thanks for posting what you did with your hood. Originally was going to use an otr micro, but recently changed to a hood instead.

I will take in consideration what akchicago said about the depth. I'm a 1 person household and probably use the oven more then the rangetop.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

You're welcome. Ours took forever too! The good part is that with time, you can catch mistakes and make improvements (hopefully!). Will look forward to the eventual :) progress pictures!