Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcward89

DH says I must be TKO...

dcward89
9 years ago

So our 25th wedding anniversary is next month and my husband was asking me if I want him to buy me a gift. We have a trip planned in January to celebrate but he was trying to gauge if he still needed to buy a gift as well, lol. As background, we are a somewhat non-romantic couple when it comes to anniversary gifts and cards (but somehow have made it 25 years, lol) and usually talk about gifts and buy them together if one of us want something.

Anyway, I don't do jewelry, I have trouble finding clothes to fit so clothes are out and the only thing I can think of that I really want is a John Boos cutting board. DH just died laughing. He said I am the only woman he has ever known that would pick a cutting board over a diamond! I guess I am really TKO!!

Comments (23)

• jellyben
    9 years ago

Ha! My favorite gift from DH remains the kitchenaid stand mixer he got me 15 years ago. Enjoy your cutting board and Happy Anniversary!

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

I well remember the day I got wooden spoons. It was a short marriage. ;-)

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

I can relate to you, dcward89! One year for my birthday or wedding anniversary (can't remember which one for what), I asked for a sickle mower to use here on the place and another time I asked for a rear-tined Craftsman tiller. Got both - just what I wanted. The DH has tried to buy me clothes and jewelry, but just doesn't work.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

My 90 year old MIL got a broom their first Christmas together and tells the story to this day. Their marriage lasted 70 years.

I wouldn't care about a diamond either, but since it sounds like he wants to do something really special for your 25th, I'd take advantage of it. Must be something you've always dreamed of besides a Boos board.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

One year I got "white diamonds" for our anniversary. White diamond granite counter tops. Much better than a diamond ring.

• dcward89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jellybean...I received the Kitchenaid from him as a Christmas gift early in our marriage. I have used that things more than any gift I have ever gotten, from anyone, I think!

may_flowers...I really can't think of anything else I want, except travel, which we do every year and have lots of "bucket list" trips already in the works. We just finished renovating the kitchen so that's done. We do have plans to have the Amish craftsman who made our dining room table and chairs make us a couple of bar stools to match for our new breakfast bar but other than that...honestly, I'm good. I feel really blessed to be able to say that.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

may_flowers, did she chase him out the door with it and then he started getting her better gifts? Or sweeping? LOL

DC, I think it's great you have everything you want. And he's asking so he doesn't mess up! The secret to 25 years, I'm guessing. :)

• annac54
    9 years ago

I got a garden hose once. The marriage wasn't short enough.......

• blfenton
    9 years ago

My KA mixer for Mothers Day one year is one of the few gifts that I actually remember. I don't remember the jewellery or the clothes or anything else (ok the car I got for Christmas one year I do remember) but the mixer I love.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Yeah, short first marriage I was given a jewelry box for Christmas. Note-- I did not and still usually do not wear jewelry -- and didn't even have an engagement ring! What was he thinking? Because he certainly never bought me any jewelry to put in it!

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

Baahaha TKO = totally kitchened out?

Happy Anniversary! 25 years is an accomplishment to be sure!

I'm getting a light fixture for my birthday/christmas this year. I prefer the practical gifts anyway - after all, how many diamonds does a girl really need?? Plus, no more stressful shopping for "thoughtful" gifts and trying to out-do last years' gift. I'm not very good at those so it's a win win.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

TKO = Totally Kitchen Obsessed

DH and I aren't big gift-givers - a holdover from when we were poor starving college students together. 27 years later, we still don't do big gifts for each other - except I bought him a new hunting rifle when he got his PhD. It wasn't a surprise, though - he picked out the one he liked best.

I think a gift should be something you want, but wouldn't buy for yourself. If it's something that makes you happy almost every day - that sounds just about perfect to me!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

This reminds me of a joke, but I'm afraid it's a little too naughty for here.:(

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I would always prefer something kitchen/house/yard/car to jewelry. I'm not a big wearer of jewelry, and it just seems such a waste.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

A colleague asked what DH gave me for Valentine's day. In a totally straight face, I said an iron. The look on her face said it all - and then I broke out laughing.
    In reality, he did give me an iron to wax my skis and a box of truffles.

So get you Boos and a little something for you.

• amck2
    9 years ago

Happy 25th dcward89!!

I had reached the max of what we budgeted for the kitchen we were putting in our lake build so I didn't entertain the idea of buying the farmhouse soapstone sink I had been envisioning to sit under my bank of windows.

DH made arrangements with our fabricator and when I protested said it was my 30th anniversary gift. I can't imagine another gem or stone that could have pleased me as much!

By mutual agreement, we generally just exchange cards on our anniversary. That alleviates a lot of stress (it falls at a busy time of year) and though it's worked well for 37 yrs., I'm glad he broke the rule for my sink ;)

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

The first present DH ever gave me was a flashlight to keep in my car so I would be able to change a flat or something. I guess I was expecting something more romantic, but when he said he wanted me to have a flashlight because that may help keep me safe well...

We'll be married ten years next week.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

IowaCommute- He's a keeper! :)

• jimandanne_mi
    9 years ago

I got . . . a pin cushion for my first wedding anniversary. Another short marriage, but for lots of other reasons.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

The first birthday gift my husband ever got me was a DVD that he wanted.

Bless his soul. He bought that DVD two weeks after he'd gone to the mall to get me jewelry, had gotten totally overwhelmed by the choices, called me in a panic, gave up, and went home. Then he couldn't think of anything else you give girls as gifts.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

My old veterinarian gave his wife a hunting dog for her birthday.

She didn't hunt.

She must have been OK with it, though - they were happily married until she passed away about a year ago - some 60 years of marriage. He loved her with everything he had (except maybe gifts).

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Sorry you have to wait, but the romantic trip sounds like plenty to enjoy. Brag about your cutting board til then. Happy 25.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

He forgot my birthday this year. Married 16 years. I'd say I bet he'll remember next year due to the ribbing he got...but he's too ADD for me to believe that. Still, I expect to go another 16 or so. We'll see ;-)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH