Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3ilovepie

Kitchen sink

3ilovepie
9 years ago

Looking for advice on sinks from those who do a lot in their limited sized kitchens.

Ideally I would have a huge single basin sink and a separate prep sink....but that's not likely.

Although there are only 4of us (2 young boys 7, 4) there is a lot that goes on in the kitchen. I'm baking, roasting, cooking 3-4 times a day at least ( our youngest has food allergies so we can't ever just order a pizza or pick up food).

Additionally, my family all live far away so when they visit it's extended and the kitchen gets even more usage.

So, my question is - do I get a large single basin our a split sink? The pro of the single basin is i would never struggle to wash my pots, pans etc. the con is that I would have to be sure it was always clean and clear for when I need to wash or prep food.

For the double we are looking at franke techna tcx160-29rh. For single basin - open to suggestions franke or blanco in same price range.

HELP!

Comments (40)

• leealison
    9 years ago

Is this a renovation? Do you have a floor plan? It would be easier to answer your questions if you posted a floor plan.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I have a large Franke single basin sink, but it has an optional accessory bowl that fits suspended over one side that effectively turns it into a double-bowl sink. When I'm not using the bowl, it fits easily under the sink. The optional shelf grid is great for washing and draining vegetables, etc., too. Something like this might work well for you.

• Buehl
    9 years ago

JellyToast - I like that! It gives you the best of both and is much better than using a bin that you have to dump! The only issue I would have is storing the accessory bowl when not in use b/c even with the new kitchen I don't have extra storage space (I hadn't originally needed two sets of pots/pans, prep bowls, etc. b/c it was b/f I knew I would have to do this for Celiac Disease!).

If that sink isn't an option, then I recommend a 60/40 sink. It has a large and small bowl. That's what I have. I can fit all my pots/pans/cookie sheets (with handles) in that bowl and all but one refrigerator bin/shelf. It also fits my Vent-a-hood insert for cleaning. The small bowl is still large enough to prep in or fill a pot. Pictures below.

Main Sink:

Sink at Work - Large Bowl:

Sink at Work - Small Bowl

• Fori
    9 years ago

You can do a lot with a big single. It's my preference unless you can get a REALLY big double. Can you?

But you might be able to get a prep sink in. What do you have now and would an extra sink make it better? If your kitchen life would improve greatly with one--and it sounds like it might--post your layout and let's get it in there.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

If jellytoast's sink is a size that would work for you, I would recommend that for sure. If you need to go smaller then I would get the largest single you can (I used the Blanco Stellar Super Single) and look for colanders and/or bowl accessories like jellytoast's that will fit (I got mine at Ikea).

There are also sinks with a shallow divide, so they are kind of 2 bowls but can act like a single for large items.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Wow, you can fit a LOT of stuff in that 60/40 sink ... I like it!

• friedajune
    9 years ago

Crucial piece of information missing from the OP - the size of her cabinet base. If she can do a 36" cabinet base, then she can have a double-bowl sink like Buehl's which requires a 36" cabinet base. From her reference to the Franke sink in her OP, it doesn't seem like she has a 36" cabinet base for her sink. If she cannot change to a 36" cabinet base, then IMHO she should get a single-bowl sink so she can wash pots and pans and set down a roasting pan to soak. I assume she has a dishwasher so I don't see the need for a second bowl to wash dishes.

As to the Low Divide sinks, they still have the issue of not being able to set down a roasting pan or large pot to soak.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I have a 60/40, not as big as Buehl's.

On the rare occasions that I have to soak something that doesn't fit in the sink (I don't think it's happened since I remodeled a year ago, but I had a double sink before), I put the item on the counter, squirt some dish soap in it, and fill it with as much water as necessary. I just tip the soak water into the sink when it's done.

I really like my double sink - I can pile up dishes in the big side, and still have easy access to the disposal on the small side. Since I don't pre-wash dishes before loading the DW, I rarely have as many dishes in mine as Buehl :).

• willtv
    9 years ago

So, our limited size kitchen is 8'x12'.
    We installed the largest single bowl sink we could find that would fit in a 30" sink base cabinet and never looked back.

HTH.
    PS. It's a Blanco 441024 Undermount Super Single

This post was edited by willtv on Tue, Oct 28, 14 at 23:06

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Agree with willtv: Get the biggest single sink that fits in your kitchen; you'll never regret it.

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

Nothing to add since I haven't purchased a sink yet but we have two boys, 7 & 4 and the youngest is PN/TN allergic. I started reading your post and thought- did i write this in my sleep?!?!

• sheloveslayouts
    9 years ago

My mother-in-law has a low divide sink and I love that thing. We had a large single SS sink and it looked cool, but I definitely prefer the low divide or even a double.

I think one of the reasons I didn't like the single is that I'm 5'8" tall and the sink was super deep and if I spent any significant time at the sink, my back would kill me from the bending.

• User
    9 years ago

Benjesbride - a deep sink can be a single-bowl or double-bowl. The Franke double-bowl sink that the OP mentions is 9" deep on both sides. Also, back ache at the sink is not solely caused by a sink's depth. There have been several threads on the topic of back ache at the sink. Some contributors to back ache at the sink are if the sink is set too far back from the counter edge, or if the faucet spout is toward the back of the sink, or if the floor is tile rather than a softer material like wood or marmoleum. Some suggestions to reduce back ache are: a sink grid to raise the depth an inch, a faucet that reaches more towards the front of the sink, a gel mat to stand on, and installing an apron front sink instead of an undermount.

Back to the OP - I am going to throw one more thought out there - the OP has only discussed stainless steel sinks. Has she thought about something different like a Silgranit sink (which won't have the water spots or scratches that stainless steel has)?

This post was edited by Sahmmy on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 0:38

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Low divide:

• User
    9 years ago

Since you asked for feedback from people with small kitchens, I'll chime in - my kitchen is a narrow galley (7.5x14ish). Like a few of the PPs, I'd also advocate getting the biggest single-bowl sink you can. I opted for 30" Kraus (requires a 33" cabinet) single bowl and it's huge. I've never actually filled it with dishes but it can swallow a lot. I previously had a 25" sink cabinet and I hated having to stack dirty dishes on the counters when cleaning up.

I don't miss the counter space with the new one since I have a cutting board that fits over it and do a lot of prep right at the sink. I keep meaning to get one made custom, but one of the Ikea ones fit perfectly, as does their strainer. The undercabinet holds tons of cleaning supplies, plus cutting boards and trays.

• crcollins1_gw
    9 years ago

Another vote for low divide, but I do think this requires a 36" base. I had the Kohler low divide for years, and loved it, but it does scratch and even chip if you aren't careful with your Le Creuset.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Completely off topic: I don't think you need two sets of pots/pans because your son is GF. My nephew is GF and my sister did not buy two sets of pots/pans. She just washes them really well. I also think she does not make separate pasta for him. Either everyone eats GF pasta or she just makes his in a smaller pot. It is quite a learning curve, I will say that, and she does make sure she has a GF cutting board in particular, and margarine, peanut butter, jam etc. She labels all of his food in the fridge so it doesn't get cross-contaminated. She's been doing this now for probably 10 years and let me tell you she had a heck of a time finding GF products 10 years ago. She made almost everything from scratch, including hot dog buns (she bought a special baking pan and everything!)

Lots of resources now for Celiacs, celiac.com, allergicliving.com, glutenfreegirl is a good blog I think and gluten free on a shoestring. There are lots of others but I'm not GF I just look on there occasionally.

Good luck!!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Also slightly OT - smalloldhouse, we also have the 30" Kraus single -- we don't need the space for prep, but I'd love to know what Ikea strainer you are referring to.

• crcollins1_gw
    9 years ago

buehl:

(with apologies to ilovepie for hijacking the thread)

I've been diagnosed with Celiac for over 10 years and have maintained a strict gluten free diet for that time. You definitely do not have to have two sets of kitchen ware. Please feel free to message me separately if you would like any help figuring out myth from fact. There are a lot of alarmists out there.

• 3ilovepie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are all awesome!

So great to get outside views :-)

I love the idea of a double - but likely just because I do sometimes leave dishes in the sink. It's a bad habit and I should try to break it. I'm not a fan of having to be delicate with the sink - it would stress me out. I've got a huge island about 4.5x9.6. See link below for measurements - please note I've made changes that aren't reflected (single fridge, banquets for eating area....)

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0910012127023.html

Here is what I am now leaning towards - biggest single possible with a tray and colander insert. ( restrained only by cost and quality)

What sink do we get?

Viennamommy 19 - our youngest is gluten, corn, eggs and dairy free - we try to keep it interesting - makes each meal a cooking adventure!

• wags848
    9 years ago

I am following this timely thread. I like the Kohler Whitehaven Apron Front sink with the low divide (we currently have a double sink & do most dishes by hand). The low divide seems like an improvement over the full divide.
    The picture of the Whitehaven on the Kohler website looks like a 50/50 divide sink; in checking the measurements, It's one large & one small. The small side just seems way too small; not ideal for our daily handwashing. Unfortunately, they do not offer the Whitehaven Apron Front in a 50/50 double sink. Bummed.

So, we are facing the same issue...now considering a single sink...just not sure. I like the accessory bowl for the Franke sink shown above....wish they offered this for the Whitehaven. Perhaps another brand has accessories to fit. If anyone has found some, please share. (Sorry to highjack!).

Perhaps a low divide sink would work for you; there are some stainless options like the Elkay in the attached. I can sure empathize with your dilemma! So much to consider for a sink choice! Good luck with your decision!

Here is a link that might be useful: Elkay Low Divide Sink

• 3ilovepie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For those who posted their BIG single sinks - which do you have? And any desired add ons?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I've always been a big-single person ---- what are the advantages of a the low divide over a full double?

ilovepie, I previously had the Franke Orca which was my favorite sink ever --- with the bottom grid and the side grid. I know have the Kraus 30" rectangular and it's very nice, and very inexpensive, but not something I "love" the way I loved the Orca (the main negative about the current sink is that I feel like I have to chase things around the sink to get them down the drain. It is absolutely possible however that I had to do that with the Orca too and I just don't remember). I have no inserts.

• wags848
    9 years ago

The low divide would make it easier to wash large items like cookie sheets, pans, etc. Yet one would still have a divider to allow for double bowls. We wash in one sink, then stack & air dry dishes in the other. The divider would keep the wash/dry areas somewhat separated.
    Yet now I am thinking we could have a separation between the wash/dry areas if there was an insert/tub in a single bowl. Or just let the dishes dry on a rack on the counter (although more visual clutter).

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Got it - I've never used a double bowl for washing and drying -- I use running water for washing, and the counter for drying (if at all -- usually its just a few pots or pans, so we towel-dry and put them away, but almost everything, including pots and pans, goes in the dishwasher).

• Fori
    9 years ago

I've never had space for a satisfactory 2-bowl sink--not for regular dish washing at least. But I don't fill the sink with soapy water for everyday washing.

When I DO handwash enough things to need a basin of soapy water, which isn't very often, I'll probably be washing fragile old china and crystal. I prefer to use a plastic dishpan for that because not only does it slightly cushion things, I can stash it out of the way when I'm done. And a big single works great with a dishpan.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I prefer to use a plastic dishpan

Fori, this is just perfectly consistent with my general dislike of housekeeping - I don't even own a plastic dishpan! (I probably should, but I don't).

• Fori
    9 years ago

SJ, I had my dishpan for camping long before I realized it had actual kitchen applications--my mom wouldn't let me put the china in the dishwasher... :P

Sinks really are good for doing messy jobs! I've cut up raw turkeys on a cutting board at the bottom of my giant sink. It really keeps the salmonella together. I don't know if tall people can do that comfortably though.

Miseno sinks are really attractive. I'd love to see some reviews.

• hockeymom40
    9 years ago

I have had the single big sink and a sink with the separate prep sink. I prefer having the prep sink on the side mainly because I like to keep the garbage separate from the dishes. When I had the single sink it was a pain to use the garbage disposal when the sink was full out dishes.

• hockeymom40
    9 years ago

I have had the single big sink and a sink with the separate prep sink. I prefer having the prep sink on the side mainly because I like to keep the garbage separate from the dishes. When I had the single sink it was a pain to use the garbage disposal when the sink was full out dishes.

• User
    9 years ago

Hockeymom40 - if you get a sink with an offset drain (which is a drain that is not in the center), you can avoid the issue of covering the drain with dishes. Examples of sinks with offset drains are the BlancoDiamond Super Single, Kohler Whitehaven, Shaws fireclay apron front, Elkay makes a couple in stainless steel, and there are a few others. I have had the BlancoDiamond with an offset drain, and I knew that in any future kitchen, I must have an offset drain again. I wanted an apron front sink this time so I am getting a Kohler Whitehaven.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Whitehaven is an example of sink w offset drain

• 3ilovepie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooh - offset drain. I've never considered the drain position.

In a single basin should I look for that feature?

• Fori
    9 years ago

Offset drain isn't a deal breaker for me but it's nice. It's especially nice for how it affects the arrangement of stuff under the sink--you have a much easier time storing things under there with the disposal and plumbing off to the side instead of in the middle.

• ChristyMcK
    9 years ago

We have a single big 33" sink - one of the few stainless that could be top mount and flush with our counter top, which we did not replace. It's our first single sink. We LOVE it. We no longer have dishes cluttering up the counter (they are cluttering up the sink) which makes the kitchen look much neater. It also gives us more working counter space in our medium size galley kitchen and I like having lots of usable counter space. It's made huge improvements in flow that I'm still figuring out.

We got a Rubbermaid small bucket/bowl in case I needed a smaller mock second basin. I've only used it once in a month, to rinse two big bunches of kale. I'm very happy without a second basin and would do that all over again.

Ours is a Kohler Vault. The one thing I'm not crazy about is that the bottom of the sink is relatively flat and stuff (food bits) don't easily drain into the drain, so I'm swishing food bits around a lot. Not sure I'd get it again for that reason, but what's done is done and there actually weren't many options for what we were looking at.

I love,love, love our touchless Kohler faucet but that's another post.

• User
    9 years ago

Ilovepie - in answer to your question, I loved my last sink with corner drain, and will be getting another sink that has a corner drain. So I recommend it. However, a sink with an offset drain in the corner is found almost exclusively in 36" sinks. Can you fit that size in your kitchen? I think the Kohler Whitehaven is the only sink I know of with a corner drain that comes smaller than 36". It is an enameled cast iron sink, not stainless.

Kohler Whitehaven 30" sink

Kohler Whitehaven 33" sink

You can find many more sinks with drains offset not in the corner, but in the rear-center, rather than dead center. This type of offset drain is much easier to find than a corner offset drain. If you must stay with a stainless steel sink (I personally don't like them, but many people do), look into the Kraus stainless steel sinks. They are the thicker 16 gauge (the lower the number, the thicker the gauge). I do not have this sink, but I have just read about it on this forum. If you do a search, you will see many mentions of the Kraus sinks. People have also mentioned Miseno has a good name for stainless steel sinks.

Kraus 32" stainless steel sink

Kraus 30" stainless steel sink

This post was edited by Sahmmy on Tue, Oct 28, 14 at 22:03

• Buehl
    9 years ago

GF - I did not have separate pots/pans for a few years and seemed to have issues "for no reason" on and off. It was recommended to me to try a different pots/pans and mixing spoons, etc. Since I've done that, I've had far fewer issues. Maybe I'm more sensitive than others.

• 3ilovepie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As an update, we chose the 33" Franke Kubus with colander and bottom grid

Looking forward to all that space!

Here is a link that might be useful: sink

• sonny_h
    9 years ago

I have the low divide zero radius Kohler sink. Its the largest stainless sink I could find which marries the best of both worlds. Its perfect from a usability perspective. It allows you to keep separate zones, but also allows fitting large pots, pans with long handles etc. I can't believe how much stuff fits into it. Very industrial look.

The zero radius corners can be a little hard to clean, but ive gotten used to it, and Barkeeper Friend is a great investment :)

Adding a link to the sink I installed. Can send additional pictures if you like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler low divide sink

• practigal
    9 years ago

To me the ability to put the cutting board and the bowl etc. so that they hang across the sink is really important. Part of being able to do that is how the sink and faucet are installed (there must be a flat area on either side of the sink such that you can rest a cutting board on both sides of the sink), in addition to the type of sink. The other thing that I've recently become aware of is the concept of the "perfect drain" -a drain without a rim from the garbage disposal-see picture from elkay, it looks like just one less thing to clean.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022