Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom2sethc_gw

Countertops that are not neutral? (black, browns, white)

mom2sethc
12 years ago

Hello,

For those of you that have countertops in a non-neutral color, I'd be interested to know if you are happy with your choice, or if you at some point wish you would have went with something more neutral?

I had thought that I would be replacing my black laminate with a black granite/soapstone, or briefly considered white. I do not want any of the brown/white/gold mixtures. I was at the granite yard the other day and was intriqued by a slab of Ayers Green granite. So...I'd love to know if you picked something like this and later felt "stuck" with it?

Thanks!

Comments (21)

• mom2sethc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Dianalo!

Thanks for your response. Yes, I found this slab quite beautiful and it just made me think twice about my original plans to go with black.

• beth4
    12 years ago

When I remodeled 6 years ago, I decided I did not want to use granite colors that are often seen in others' kitchens. I wanted something less commonly used.

I seriously considered Costa Esmerelda (a beautiful green granite shown below)

and Verde Fire, a dramtic green and red granite shown here:

I KNOW I would have been very happy with either of these granites, and that they would have looked beautiful with my cherry cabs.

I reluctantly concluded that both of these granites were over my budget, so I selected Juperana Florence, which has some of the elements of the Verde Fire granite. You can see this is a warm red granite, and it blends well with the cherry cabs.

Six years later, I still love the look of this granite, and have not tired of it.....And I've never seen it in another home, which makes me feel unique.

Good luck with your decision...I remmeber how worrisome that was. For what it's worth, I think the granite you're considering is lovely....it's definitely a granite I could happily live with for years.

• skyedog
    12 years ago

I originally thought I wanted a white countertop until the sample came home and it looked terrible in my house. I ended up picking a blueish one - I was immediately drawn to it and after almost two years I have no regrets at all and a lot of compliments. If a sample of your green granite works when you take it home, I doubt you will tire of it. It's very pretty.

• Cloud Swift
    12 years ago

We originally were thinking of a green granite to go with our natural cherry cabinets. We saw a small sample of Costa Esmerelda that looked similar to the picture Beth posted and might have gone with that but the slabs we found of that and the other greens were either running too grey or had too much yellow/gold tones.

We wanted something that would balance the red tone in the cherry. Also, in looking at open houses, we found that kitchens with a jumble of neutral surfaces didn't appeal to us. Unless you choose carefully, different "neutral" colors don't necessarily go together. I like the looks of black with cherry, but we didn't want to go that dark.

In our search for greens, we came across Azul do Mar granite (really quartzite) and it was love at first sight. We took home a sample to check and really liked it in our kitchen. It has been in for over 5 years and we still love it. We have no regrets about going non-neutral.

It probably helps that it is in a color range that we have always liked. It not only goes well with all the dishes we currently have, but all the ones we ever have had. Also, it has a range of colors in it from quite blue through blue-greens to a bit of green, plus some small maroon dots that tie into the cherry cabinets, white and cream markings, and a purplish-blue grey stream. Because of the variation, when I put certain dishes with it, it pulls out the color tones that go with that dish where with a solid single color surface it might not.

We are in the midst of remodeling the fireplace wall in the family room and replacing the floor in the kitchen/family room. We used the remnants from our granite for the fireplace surround along with a black stone for the hearth extension. There are some more photos on the thread below.

Here is a link that might be useful: thread with more pictures including the new fireplace surround

• plllog
    12 years ago

No regrets. My perimeter is handmade tile in various greens, some with cream or charcoal colored figures (leaves, frogs). The island is dark green mottled soapstone with white and yellow veins. The dry area is brown, but not neutral, with sunflower seed husk board.

I love them!!! There are a lot of "neutrals" which are just boring and bland. Neutral colors are okay but they should still have character and life.

• annac54
    12 years ago

We fell in love with the green granites, and now have seafoam green. We seriously considered Costa Esmerelda, but didn't find slabs that we liked as well as the seafoam. It took a while to find the slabs we liked. Other contenders were Neptuno Bordeaux (like Typhoon with greenish gray and without the red), Minsk green, and Tropical green. We've only had it a few months, but I really doubt that I will tire of it. It's a very liveable color. Our house has a light sagey green carpet that we've had for several years, and we haven't gotten bored with it yet, so I think it will be the same for the granite.

I think if you truly like the material, you won't have a problem.

plllog: your tile sounds wonderful!
    This picture is a little yellower than IRL:

• forensicmom
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting this. I'm looking at countertops as well and was not sure which way I want to go. These pictures are gorgeous.

• kitchenkelly
    12 years ago

I would never feel stuck with my granite because I chose one that I love. Mine is Aquario and has primarily green and grey in it which are my two favorite colors.

My remodel was done over four years ago and I still love it.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Ours is just blue pearl, but it still makes me smile every day. No regrets at all!

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

Mine are very much like like Beth4's (no wonder her kitchen photos always make me happy), except that I also have an additional white marble baking counter. I went through a similar process, moving from looking for Vitoria Regia and Verde Fire to no avail on to the Bordeaux. No regrets after six years. I should add, though, that I am one who enjoys, and even craves, color.

• mom2sethc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello!

Thank you all so much for posting your pics! We are still making this decision and are still leaning towards these green granites. We just saw Surf Green granite and it looks very similar to kitchenkelly's Aquario. It is good to hear that you are not getting tired of your "non neutral" granites! I also love color and want something unique. I'll post an update as soon as we make the decision.

Thanks!

• christine40
    12 years ago

I was thinking of going black as well. But stumbled upon wild west green and golden lightening....lve them both....not sure if I can go so green, but am considering for around the fireplace!

• gregincal
    12 years ago

I don't believe in getting bored with things I love, and I'm not a big fan of neutrals. We're months away from starting our remodel, but we've already purchased our granite slab (it was an orphan slab, and we've seen nothing else like it after looking at several yards). I'm just about to order the copper kitchen sink to go with it (you can see my little piece of copper in the picture along with the quarter sawn oak cabinet door).

{{!gwi}}

• hsw_sc
    12 years ago

I fell in love with Ayers Green at the stone yard well before I had finalized our counter choice. It's a gorgeous, gorgeous stone. I'd love to see someone here get those as their counters!

• deeebert
    12 years ago

Neutrals are so boring! Go with what you are drawn to.

• Cloud Swift
    12 years ago

Christine, I love Wild West Green. I don't think any of our local yards had it when we remodeled and our blue granite is really right for our kitchen, but I'd like to use it in one of the bathrooms some day.

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

There used to be a poster here called mondragon. She used a wavy pale green stone that she said was absolutely bullet proof, both after extensive testing and once it was in her kitchen. Her stone yard called it "Iguana Green," IIRC. That might be one to consider.

• mom2sethc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

gregincal - your granite is similar to the surf green granite that we are looking at. That copper sink will be gorgeous with that granite!!

We'll be looking at granite again this Friday, dh really likes the Surf Green, but he hasn't seen the Ayers Green slab yet. We also plan to stop in at a larger warehouse and see if we find anything else.

• gillycat
    12 years ago

I went with a green and pinky stone called Ladies Dream
    Absolutely love it still.Only 2 years in but it is something that makes me happy when I go into the kitchen or powder room.

From Recently Updated
    From Recently Updated
    From vessel basin

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

No regrets with the Bianco Antico. And from all the feedback from the potential buyers, they all love it. I think it is nice to see something different. And if you love it, that really is all that matters.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!