Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodbyekitty_gw

Is the price of this granite too much?

goodbyekitty
10 years ago

For a 4'3" bar area, standard depth cabinets, my installer is pricing out a piece of granite at $1,129. Also includes a tile backsplash.

Is this too much?

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    10 years ago

Is there a sink cutout? splash? what kid of granite? Edge detail? all of these are variables that impact the price.

In general, small jobs have much higher cost per sq. ft. because the fab shop has to pay the measure guys travel time and the installers travel time and that doesn't change. For a small job like this the travel time might be 35% (or more) of the total hours in the job vs. maybe 15% for a full kitchen at the same location. This is true for cabinets, flooring, painting, countertops, or whatever. Everyone has to pay their workers drive time and fuel.

• goodbyekitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's Absolute Black honed granite. No sink cut out, eased edge.

I might source out the buffet/bar built in because I really don't want granite for the bar area. I wanted metal like pewter or zinc with a smokey glass mirror backsplash. He was very good at avoiding my question when I requested this. I don't think he's done metal countertops before.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I found AB to be one of the higher priced granites in my area. We eliminated it because of cost. If you really want something else, go for it.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    10 years ago

When I was pricing a small (6' long) piece of granite with a sink cutout I was given a price of $810 if it was a remnant piece of granite and $1907 if they had to cut from a new slab. I was able to get it installed for $43/sq ft (about $550) through Ikea. They normally have a 25 sq ft minimum, but they did my job anyway. These prices are all from a year ago, so I'm sure they'd be higher now.

Considering that the labor to tile isn't cheap and AB isn't cheap, I'd say it isn't that far out of line.

• kompy
    10 years ago

Seems about right to me.

• User
    10 years ago

Considering the price of just the slab itself is more than that here without any fabrication ($1300) , you're getting a screaming deal for a super premium stone. Just regular AB would be more than that, and you've got it honed plus the labor for the fabrication. You must be dealing with someone who has a remnant that will work for the size you need. And a tile backsplash to boot? A backsplash that small usually runs in to minimum labor amounts because of the size. $300 is what a good tile guy would charge for a small backsplash where he could fit the work in around a larger job in his schedule.

• goodbyekitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now I'm torn! Holly I just reviewed my last post about my bid. I always imagined a small bar area with a pewter countertop but I hate to pass up a great deal on AB honed granite.

It would look wonderful with a metal backsplash though, right? Something in my gut tells me you're right. Pewter is hugely expensive, I could use either a metal backsplash or smokey, antiquish looking mirror panels. Houzz has several examples that look pretty awesome.

Something to think about....grrrrrr. I think you're right. Lol!