Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WWYD- countertop/backsplash

Posted by localeater (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 12, 12 at 8:42

I had a plan, I changed my plan, now I am thinking of changing back.
My cabinets are being made, and should be done mid-November. They are mostly slab front natural walnut, I have only 2 uppers and those are shaker style doors. The island is slab front painted, in BM Providence Olive. The perimeter countertop is definitely Madre Perla. Behind the sink, the Madre Perla will go to the bottom of the sill.
Here's my conundrum:
Option A: Use the Madre Perla on the island. For the backsplash behind the stove, use tile. I have ideas but wouldn't decide until stone was in place.
Option B: Use a wooden island countertop. Use the Madre Perla behind the stove.
I think I will probably not decide until the cabinets are in place and they are actually coming to template the stone. Is this strange?
I love the M.P. I am worried about the kitchen looking cold with so much stone. This is probably a ridiculous concern since so many of you have beautiful warm kitchens with stone topped island. Maybe it is just because it has been cold and rainy here for the last few weeks, my garden is dying, frost is hitting regularly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WWYD- countertop/backsplash

Since you have 3 different cabinet finishes/styles I would stay with one type of counter and use the MP on both the perimeter and the island. Otherwise it is too choppy. Don't worry too much about it being cold because if at the end you do feel that way, there are so many ways to warm it up with accessories, especially in winter. A vase of flowers mid winter is perfect.
Laura

o

Thanks sixty, You make an excellent point about accessorizing.

o

With so many walnut cabs combined with the tasty olive, your kitchen will be far from cold! It'll be warm and yummy. I'm with Sixtyohno in the is per is better camp. With the different cabs, I'd keep the counters the same for unity. My preference is always to differ the cabs OR the counters. Not both.

Funny you've been getting so much rain. I live in a very rainy corner of the country but today was our first day of rain in months. It's been oddly warm and sunny. The rain started today and won't stop now for months.

o

Totally agree with breezygirl. One of the reasons I love the MP is that is has grey and white in it but it also has some nice warm taupes and caramels in it too - I think with your lovely cabs it will not read cold at all.

(We have it with a slab BS - so lots of it - and it does not read nearly as "cold" to me as my grey/white marble masterbath)

o

Thank you all for weighing in. Opinions from people whose kitchens I really admire means a lot. I think my original change from the butcherblock to the madre perla for the island was because I thought I had too many different elements. Now I just need to stay steadfast for a few more weeks. I find it very hard not to begin to doubt myself when it starts to get so close to real.

o

Not to be a pain but when you say butcherblock, my ears perk up (so beautiful). Have you googled this look on Houzz yet? There may be a way to make it happen.... You put it in place and then figure it out. (Will slink away now...)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here