Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
24 or 30 " island/peninsula? Does stuff fall off the side?

Posted by deedles (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 8:38

Just wondering if any of you that have islands or peninsulas that are 24 or 30" wide have any problem with stuff falling off the opposite side from where you are working? Does anyone wish they had a short backsplash to stop this. For some reason I'm picturing chopping veggies and having carrots rolling off the prep peninsula?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 24 or 30 " island/peninsula? Does stuff fall off the side?

LOL, for some reason this question has me giggling. I have never had a problem with things falling off. Certainly not any more than could fall off the front edge when I am in front of the backsplashed area. Both of my peninsulas are not very long, more or less about 6 feet from the wall, which is 2 feet of corner wall cabinet and 4 feet of peninsula. The one at home is only 24" wide, so 27" including counter overhang. The one at the beach has a bar overhang on one side, so is about 40" wide.

o

Great....something else for me to worry about in the peninsula/island dilemma?? Hmm...but it would happen as easily with an island, wouldn't it. I guess I'll still be chopping at the perimeter sink, place my partner at the peninsula seating to act as goalie or become a very neat chopper. Because I can totally see this happening to me now that you bring it up. LOL

o

My island is small - 24" x 48" - and I don't have any problems with it. Where I do most of my vegie chopping is on my butcher block which is 24" x 24" x 12" - no issues there either.

o

In a previous kitchen, I had a 26" peninsula (24" cabinet plus 1" overhangs on either side.) and yes, stuff was always falling off into the cat's water bowls that were on the other side. But, this was also a function of the peninsula location and traffic flow as well as it's narrowness. It was the first horizontal surface that you came to when entering the kitchen from the garage or side doors, and thus it became a big dumping ground for everything. Sadly, it was also the best spot for prep, so your cutting board was always fighting with the mail, or the pocketfull of screws or change, or any number of things that need to be set down for "just a minute". The peninsula was set back from the traffic pattern just enough to have the cat food and water bowls on the other side, and we were always fishing stuff out of them.

As long as you have a junk flow management system in place for mail, backpacks, briefcases, pocket change and other crap that will want to occupy some horizontal surface just inside the family entrance, then you will probably be OK with the space as a pure prep zone. If you don't have a mud area, or other area designated as the dump zone, then you too may have a problem.

o

Good point, Hollysprings. This would be about the first accessible surface as you come into the kitchen. I'll have to make sure the entry has a place to catch this kind of stuff before it gets into the kitchen. Thanks for that insight.

Sounds like the rest didn't have too much of a problem with the food prep part per se.

We are terrible at laying stuff down to get at 'later', so I'll definitely factor this in to the planning. Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here