Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Island electrical / Which outlet to mount on a skirt?

oldbat2be
11 years ago

We need to add outlets to our island and also finish it with a couple of wooden 'skirts', connecting the front to the two legs, and the legs to each side.

We plan on mounting the outlets 'in' the skirts. With around a 6" high skirt (I think we're using leftover toekick material, but could use whatever), what kind of outlet(s) would you suggest for this? Also, is there anything I should know about the skirt itself (i.e., avoid plain piece of toekick?).

Current thoughts are to have a single outlet on each side and a double in the middle of the front of the island.

Thanks!!

Comments (14)

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Including link to earlier post, with good info from ronnatalie and hollysprings (for anyone else interested in learning more).

Below is current planned location for outlets. In the front of the island, I do have more than a 6" overhang (it's 9"). If my two outlets in the skirts satisfy the 'one receptacle per island' requirement, can I still place an outlet here, or should I place two outlets closer to the legs, one on each side? Goal is to provide power, if needed, to the people sitting at the front of the island.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Island electric/ MA outlet requirements

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anyone...?

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. It doesn't seem like a good idea to put an outlet right where someone would be sitting, in the middle of your island curtain. Wouldn't a double outlet on each end be sufficient?

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks annsch. Main question is what KIND of outlet to use here, sorry if I wasn't clear. Do I use a normal duplex outlet (brown) and recess it?

To your question, if I have people sitting there using various tech items wouldn't I want an outlet in front of them?

• function_first
    11 years ago

I also think the two on each end are enough. I can't imagine it would happen often that you'd have 3 people all sitting at the island at the same time all in with low batteries.... not likely. Therefore the two on the end would be enough. Even if you did have the above mentioned situation, power cords are long enough to run across the island to share the duplex outlet with another user.

I think brown recessed would be fine. It'll be in a shadow, and will blend in fine. We put the skirt on, and it's 4" -- I don't think I'd do 6" because with a cushy stool, it gets a bit cramped between the top of an adult thigh and the bottom of the skirt even with 4". We were able to additional 1x4 trim pieces from our cabinet company, I think the skirt is the same as the board we used along the bottom backside of the island as a trim board.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks kris_ma. That makes sense to me. I think I was overthinking it. Good point about the skirt height.

• mamadadapaige
    11 years ago

hi,
    I am in the north shore in Mass. too!

I will be doing a similar set up with the outlet on my peninsula. It will be going in today. Agree with kris ma that you only need two. I'd use a brown flush mounted duplex and if you have any stain to match you can get a wooden outlet cover and stain the color of your cabinets.

My kitchen is on the Wenham Museum kitchen tour on Saturday. Are you going? Mine is the white kitchen with red butler's pantry cabinets.

electrician is putting in that outlet today. If I have time to post a pic I will

• localeater
    11 years ago

Since you specifically mentioned technology, I think you should use the outlets that allow for both a 3-prong plug in or a USB plug in(for charging only).
    Also, since the users will be sitting at the 6' (or is it 9'?) side of the island, instead of mounting the outlets on the side skirt between the leg and the cabinet facing out, what if you constructed the side skirts with an angle on the inside and the outlets mounted on that angle towards the user. I don't know if you can imagine what I am saying, sort of a triangular box on the underside of the counter.
    Or, somebody on GW has those cool outlets in the leg with a notch to set the wire on......

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

localeater - hadn't thought of that, YES, excellent idea on the outlet type (include USB plug). I follow the idea on the angled box, will review with DH. Box in leg idea is a neat one... but I think I like it in the skirts (closer to other side of island).

mamadadapaige - Wooden outlet cover is a great idea, thanks. Small world, that is so neat, what fun to be on the house tour. You must be going crazy getting everything ready for this! I haven't bought my tickets yet but was thinking about it, will definitely go now. What time will you be at your house (or not at all? I'm not sure how that works). Good luck!

• mamadadapaige
    11 years ago

hi ob2b,
    oh good! the tour starts at 11. i will definitely be at my house on the earlier side. was hoping to tour around and see some of the other houses later in the afternoon. I hope I get to meet you! your kitchen is looking great

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

hi old bat---sorry I didn't understand. Now I see what you were asking. I am no help on knowing what kind of electrical outlet, that's way above my head. But I still have a concern that an outlet where someone is sitting might be a hazard at the counter in case of some spilling liquids getting into the outlet.

• bostonpam
    11 years ago

I did angled plugmold against the island - two 3 prong outlet on each side. I think that would be plenty. It's not noticeable unless you look under the cabinet. There is code dictating the distance from the outlet to the top of the countertop.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks bostonpam, that's very helpful to see the pictures.

I just ordered these online today, will spray paint and then protect with something, so that they don't stand out and don't chip.

mamadadapaige - Should be there some time after 11:30. Will the booklet describe your house so I know to which one to go? We won't go to all of the houses but we'll start with yours.

Thanks all, off to watch the debate:)

Here is a link that might be useful: USB and A/C Tamper resistant outlet

• localeater
    11 years ago

OB2B I don't know if you ever finished this part of your kitchen, but I just rediscovered the thread that had cool outlets in the island. it is taggie's and what is cool about it is not only the placement of the outlets but how the legs have niches for cord storage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Taggie's island legs