Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerseydeb_gw

Mosaic Size Glass or Slate Backsplashes

jerseydeb
15 years ago

I viewed backsplashes on the link previously provided, but surely there are plenty of ones not posted there.

Please send images of your your kitchen backsplashes if you used those very small mosaic size tiles in glass or slate [like 1x2, 1 inch, 7/8 inch(basketweave,diamond)]. There are many, many images of large slate and large glass subway tiles. Not so many of the very small sized ones.

Comments (25)

• User
    15 years ago

Hi Jerseydeb, we're looking at doing slate as well, and I love the lighter shaded desert sand colors, we're using baoding creme which can be found on tileshop.com, when enhanced, it abolutely pops with color. That said, we also loved the smaller mosaic patterns, of course because it showed more color! But the tile people we've talked to, and there have been several, say that to use a lot of that in one area makes for a very busy looking space, especially in smaller kitchens and it's better to use them as accents. This may be the reason you're not finding as many samples of it posted. Have you checked out RATE MY SPACE on HGTV.com? You may find some in the kitchens gallery. HTH

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Try a search on

backsplash + mosaic

You will probably get quite a few hits, but if you check them out you will probably find quite a few pictures embedded in the threads. Hopefully, others will post...but the search will give you a place to start.

Use the search box on the bottom of the page that lists the threads ("hit list").

Good luck!

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

Here's my slate mosaic backsplash:

Mine is copper slate mosaic from Home Depot. Installed it myself!

Robin

• caryscott
    15 years ago

I think how busy a mosaic will look depends on the contrast between the tile colours. We are doing a small kitchen but we chose a 1x1 mosaic because in part I think small rooms look better with elements scaled to their size. We have soffets that could not be removed so our backsplash is only 18 inches high. To have gone with a 4x4 tile would have looked awful.

The Fall issue of "Kitchen Makeovers" has a pretty large kitchen with a purple mosaic on page 76. To my mind they may have overplayed the mosaic a smidge (I also am not a fan of the light to mid tone wood floor with dark cabs combo they have but that's very subjective and for another post) but in many respects it looks good.

Just placed our cab order this week so all I can show you is a sample of the glazed ceramic "Colour Fusion" tile we chose.

Good luck!

"Color Fusion" in beige

{{!gwi}}

• User
    15 years ago

Jerseydeb, thanks for the great question, these are simular to a tile you were asking about in another thread.

Robin: Wow! You did a great job! It looks so good! Maybe I should reconsider! Here is a picture of the smaller mosaic we originally wanted to use. The colors are sort of skewed from what they look like in person, they are actually a match to the second picture which is something we're also considering:
    {{!gwi}} or this {{!gwi}}

Caryscott - those are really lovely, what you say makes sense, and I hope you will post pictures when it's done so we can see the results!

• suzieca
    15 years ago

here's mine

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

Thanks lukki! We really like it and it looks great with our slate floor. It was my first ever attempt at tiling but because of the small size of the tiles, I hardly had to make any cuts. It was quite a bit lighter at first but we used an enhancing sealer on it and love the way it brings out the deeper colors. There are some tiles that are really shimmery and coppery, those are my favorites!

suzieca, your backsplash is gorgeous! I love the little four square mosaic inserts and, of course, the focal point over your cooktop. Isn't it interesting how slate, like granite, can come in so many different colors!

jerseydeb, good luck with your backsplash! If you take pictures of the area where your backsplash will be and a picture of some of your choices, I can photoshop them for you so you can get an idea of how they'll look. I know backsplashes can be so hard to visualize. We got lucky, once we chose our slate floor, the slate backsplash just seemed to make sense!

Robin

• User
    15 years ago

OOOOh Robin, I have photoshop but never thought to do that! Maybe cause I don't know how to use it very well. I'm going to try to figure it out, would you mind helping me out with a couple of pics as well if I can't? I just love slate of all color variations, I've seen the mosiacs in HD that you have, they're super colorful even when not enhanced! Gorgeous, you did a great job! I have a friend who's going to help me with ours. I hope it comes out looking as nice as yours and suzieca's did. :c) --Lukki

• fran1523
    15 years ago

Here's a picture of mine. Hope people don't mind my posting this picture again. I bought the tile from ColorGlassOnline.com

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

Sure Lukki, I love photoshop and play with it all the time. I can definitely help you out with it. I've done a lot of backsplash mockups for people here on the kitchen forum.

fran, gorgeous kitchen!

Robin

• organic_nettie
    15 years ago

Fran1523

What color is you counter, it looks black on one side, but uner the light it looks much lighter.

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

Good luck with your search!

Having *just* been through the tile search with our lower bath and having struggled a bit with the kitchen, I'm a firm believer that there are lots of great choices one can LIKE but when it's really RIGHT you'll "just know." Some people are drawn to a backsplash that blends in with their choices, others want some sizzle.

With the kitchen, I fell into the latter category. It's coming up on its 5th "birthday" and I've moved onto bath renos, but I still love my iridescent glass 0.5" mosaic backsplash!

I used it in a small area of our small old-house kitchen to add sparkle to our oft-dreary PNW days -- I call it backsplash therapy. Still makes me smile whenever I see it and guests continue to go right over to it and profess their love, ha. [And the tile pro who did my bath was pretty complimentary about my backsplash tiling skills, which admittedly was a boost...I don't care if he was being diplomatic!]

• User
    15 years ago

Thanks Robin!! I'm really wondering how the slate will look, and having a hard time visualizing it. So I will give it a try today and if I can't get it figured out, I'll post tomorrow for some help. --Lukki

• fran1523
    15 years ago

Organic Nettie asked about the counter top. It's a granite called Yellow Antico. It's kind of terra cotta, black and white and irridescent specks. From a distance it looks like a rust color.

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

House_vixen, I wanted to tell you that I think your glass mosaic is great, especially with the look of your kitchen. The color is perfect for the PNW (I think--having never been there!).

Caryscott, where did you order yours from?

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

Thanks much, Kelleg. The color probably suits the tropics more, but I rationalize that makes it inversely perfect for our weather -- and the shades do pull in and intensify the lush greens we have out our windows. [Our skies have been MEGA-blue this weekend, though, so I can't complain!]

• queensinfo
    15 years ago

rmlanza

What color is your countertop it looks like the Tan-Brown Granite. I was thinking of a backsplash similar to yours with that same color granite. it is nice to see it all together.

• furletcity
    15 years ago

My backsplash will not be installed for a while, but it will be a 1x2 slate basket weave pattern. You can see the square sample sitting on the counter, leaning against the wall. I love the matte texture of it.

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

queenskitchen, my granite is ubatuba.

• housepoor2
    15 years ago

furletcity... who is the manufacturer of your tile? It is really beautiful!

• furletcity
    15 years ago

Housepoor2- I'm sorry this is so late in coming, but I never went back to reread this post. I don't have a manufacturer but the info on the back reads,"Burnt Sienna/Palace Onyx Basketweave Item:bwsl12" I will try and find the manufacturer tomorrow: I'm embarrassed to say that I've had this sample for over a year!

• nyorker310
    15 years ago

http://www.woodmark-homedepot.com/showroom.asp?id=83

I need help. My backsplash is going to be terra cotta mosaic like the one in the photo. Only a little darker. The floor is the same in the photo as well. I am going with a dark countertop called tan/black. What should I paint the walls not covered in backsplash, and how dark can i go on the cabinets. The kitchen is actually going to be very similar to the pic except the cabinets and countertop. Any help woul be appreciated. The next link is the granite.
    http://eurasian.com/india/granite/tan_brown.html

• ronnyk
    15 years ago

house_vixen,

A second (or third) on how nice your backsplash tiles look. It goes great with your wall color (which is similar to ours). Is that the hyacinth color glass tile or something else?

• petra_granite
    15 years ago

I like GLASS!
    duratileusa: or
    Bisazza:
    alfagres usa

• mapleslate_com
    13 years ago

Culture stone: Slate/quartzite/limestone/sandstone tile, flagstone, curbstone, wall stone panel, mushroom stone, stone mosaic, cobble stone, landscape stone etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}