Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southerngalinnyc

REALLY Uneven wall- tile or granite backsplash???

southerngalinnyc
10 years ago

Hi, they are coming to template countertop TODAY.. and DH waits until this morning to second guess my subway tile backsplash decision....
Our 1935 house has really uneven walls, NOTHING is square. So the depth of the front edge of the cabinets from the back wall ranges from 24.75' on the left wall to 25.375' on the right. We couldn't pull out the cabinets and address this issue because our budget is shot...
Link to photos below...

Will a subway tile in running bond pattern be a disaster visually or would it be better to use granite backsplash. We had a tile backsplash before but it was so ugly that i think that might have distracted one from its unevenness.
I really don't want the granite, but would that make the uneveness less noticeable than white subway tile in running bond pattern?
Countertop will be black cambrian in satin finish if that matters....

Also, while I am at it... concensus is tile, then how far up the wall?
Thanks for your sage advice!!!

PS I hate google +... just lost 40 mins of my life trying to figure out how to embed photos into this post which you could easily do with Picasa

Here is a link that might be useful: uneven walls

Comments (10)

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

The cabinets need to have a finished surface behind them. That's a bug highway as is, and is complicating your projects. Put the counter template on hold, remove the cabinets, install drywall, and finish the wall there. You then need to address the wall waviness above the cabinet height. Skim the walls with drywall setting compound (the mix up from a powder type) and have at it until they are smooth. Build up in thinner layers. Then prime it and it's good to go for whatever backsplash you pick.

• southerngalinnyc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much to both of you for your quick response.

Green Designs, wish I could go with your recommendations sigh... but we have plaster and lathe walls behind the countertops, that the plumbing pipes are configured around and long long story short if I pull it all out will end up pretty much back in the same place space wise and we can't afford to pay someone to do it - plus we need to put the house on the market sooner rather than later... so I will have to put some foam something in behind to help solve the bug highway issue....

Needinfo, thanks for the encouragement and advice on grout color and where to run the cuts, etc.
    The templater just showed up and said that they are using a laser to run the template so I shouldn't have more than 1/16 inch gap anywhere... His vote was for subway tile so that I wouldn't lose more counter depth and thought that might be the best look too. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can make the right decisions on tile cuts, etc.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

sgnyc:

If the stove goes as pictured, you have an installation not in compliance with the stove manufacturer's recommendations. Not only is there no space for pot handles, the wall to the right must be covered with a non-combustable surface at a minimum. Better go with full-height granite.

Were I a home inspector, this would never pass without abatement. It could be very dangerous.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Here is another photo from the posters photo collection.

• southerngalinnyc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi trebuchet,
    Thanks for your note. While the range hasn't yet been installed, i just looked again at FP installation guidelines which state that we need a min of 11" above 36" height to the nearest wall (we have about 13") and that one of the sides above 36" needs to be clear. The upper cabinets are also within guidelines so I am a little unclear as to what you believe is not in compliance. We are planning to tile the wall to the bottom of the upper cabinets.
    Many thanks.

• southerngalinnyc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Enduring, :) Just realized that you posted my additional photo because the angle of the other made it look like my range was right next to the right wall. I really need learn how to get those photos embeded in my posts again!

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

The grout spacing on a small tile, like 3x6 subway, can be tweaked to hide unsquare walls.

If you pick a tile with slightly irregular edges - the "hand made look" - the edges hide any waviness extremely well. Plain smooth ones do a good job too.

Large format tiles need a flat surface for installation.

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

We dealt with the same issue except that our walls were adobe brick with thick wormy grout. Granite will be much more of a disater as it is essentially like one giant tile. A talented tile installer can work with uneven walls with less or more mudding as necessary. Make sure you choose a tile with edge quarter round pieces and corners. With thicker mud, you will need something wider on the edge to cover the thickness of the base layer. Hope this picture helps.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

sgnyc:

You have the clearances that weren't apparent in your first picture. Whew.

I've installed many full-height backsplashes in Corian and in stone. The good thing about them is that you can bring the wall to the splash with shims instead of straightening the wall for the splash as is needed for tile. You may need box extensions, but that's not a big deal for your electrician.

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area