Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joan2121_gw

Counter depth refrigerator with trim to look built-in?

joan2121
13 years ago

I saw a picture of rhome410's refrigerator with trim that made it looked built in. Or is it built in? What kind of ref works well to do that? I want the built in look without paying for it:) I am looking at a KA french door counter depth.

Thanks,

Joan

Comments (12)

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

I used a Jenn Air CD FD fridge in a similar application: just use cover panels and trim to create a box for it to slide into ( check the specs for the clearance needed in order to open the doors) and build it as close as possible. Pull the cabinets above out to flush.

• crdnh
    13 years ago

Just curious to anyone who has done this: how snug can you actually make the refrigerator? Most s/s are just slightly under 36", and I'm wondering if this would work with a standard 36" refrigerator upper or whether you'd need to go to 39"?

You might look at the great link below for a step-by-step how to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buehl's

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Half of the dimensions I just offered in the above post make no sense, the depth of the opening is 24, the height is 72 and the width is 36, the frig is actually 35 and 3/8 (or something close to that). The fit is very snug but the kit comes with side trim and 2 stainless shiv pieces to make up for any extra space. I didn't need the shivs though.

• kitellie49
    13 years ago

crdnh - Have your designer check the installation specs for your specific model. Typically a 36" refrigerator measures 35 plus some fraction (as you said) plus an additional amount on each side for air circulation. If that number goes above 36", instead of using a 39" cabinet, most semi-custom lines allow you to "extend the stiles" on the cabinets. You could extend the stiles on both sides of the 36" cabinets to get the additional room you need.

• crdnh
    13 years ago

Thanks for the extended stiles idea. After checking the specs I discovered that while a full-sized Whirlpool fridge needs 1/2" on both sides, the 35 5/8" counter depth model will fit ok in a 36" opening. So we're good.

• sanjayradia
    8 years ago

what is "extend the stiles"

• Vi Truvian
    7 years ago

I need to know also, sanjayradia. Any help on "stiles" meaning??

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

KA counter depth refrigerators have hinges that allow them to be nearly flush with the frame surrounding them. There should be no more than 1/2" on the sides - less is better. The top should be no more than 3/4 higher than the refrigerator - otherwise a dust catcher. You KD can have one built to the measurements of the refrigerator you choose.

• Vi Truvian
    7 years ago

I'll check out the KA counter-depth. Thank you

• PRO
    Design Loft Bracebridge
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Extending the stiles refers to widening them. If your stiles are, say 2" wide each, you may have an option of widening them to, say 2 1/2" each. Therefore your 36" cabinet is now 37" as you've added a total of 1" to the total width. While this is an option, you will also need to consider that widening the stiles does not widen the cabinet box. When installing the cabinet between tall gables or tall gable and wall, you will need spacers to match the widened stiles or have the cabinet box flush with the outer edge of the stiles in order to attach the cabinet properly. Counter depth typically means it is closer the the 25" of the counter. It does not automatically mean it will work for a built in. Counter depth fridges are typically taller as well in order to keep the storage capacity.

When it comes to building in the fridge, try to find a model where the doors hinge open in line with the fridge box width. If the doors hinge outside of the box, your doors will need to be proud of the tall gables on either side. Otherwise they will bind against the tall gables or, you will need a greater gap between the gables to accommodate the wider swing which will detract from the built in look you're trying to achieve. (Albeit crude, see below for what I'm talking about, top view)

• Vi Truvian
    7 years ago

Thank you, for that information. All good to know.