Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamadadapaige

Finished Kitchen - 20 pounds of sand in a 10 pound bucket

mamadadapaige
11 years ago

Hi,

Not sure if you remember last spring when I was working on the layout of my kitchen... super long list of stuff I had to get in there and a very challenging floorplan with a chimney and two staircases to work around.

You were all so helpful during that time and more recently too with lighting decisions.

My number one priority was seating for four and also being able to have the kids work with me - the peninsula allows both of those and it is working out SO well. I also love having so much more natural light coming in with two new windows (although the windows mean less wall cabinet space but I love having the light so I would still opt for this).

Here are some before pictures:

And After Pictures

Comments (146)

• jmcgowan
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I've followed all of your posts for a long time, and am so glad to see your plans come to fruition. Your kitchen is striking. Wonderful job with all the details! (I also loved your last kitchen -- it is one of my all-time favorites.)

Congratulations! Hope you do well in the contest but, more importantly, enjoy spending time in your new space with your kiddos every day!

P.S. Gloucester and the surrounding areas where you live are beautiful! Did you ever go by Emile Gruppe's old home there to see his artwork? It's been a long time since I visited with his son Robert....

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

For me the wallpaper makes your kitchen. Just wonderful.

• threeapples
    11 years ago

very well done!

• cluelessincolorado
    11 years ago

enduring: here's the "old one"

Here is a link that might be useful: mamadadapaige's other GORGEOUS kitchen

• lalithar
    11 years ago

This such an inspired kitchen! I have to say that the painting is what really make it! The wall treatment with the plywood boards and wall paper is just stunning.. I love that you used a deeper red color in the butler's pantry.. Let us know when it is in a magazine!

• enduring
    11 years ago

Clueless, Thanks for linking this for me. I really enjoyed looking at the "old Kitchen" :) It sure was a beauty!

• ccdip
    11 years ago

i love your kitchen! i've been wanting to do the planking as a blacksplash but my husband was worried it would look to country...your kitchen changed his mind!!
    question for you what hood/hood liner did you use that your contractor built around?
    did the planking go on before your uppers were installed?
    thanks!!

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

Wow! That is all I need to say. Wow! nicely done. Great use of color splashes

Congrats!

• mamadadapaige
    Original Author
    11 years ago

enduring, thank you so much for your kind words!
    jmcgowan, my MIL is definitely up on the gruppe's and their work which I think she has some. She is now a docent at the Cape Ann museum which is a little sleepy but nonetheless a nice collection of local artists as well as the largest collection of fitz hugh lane's work.

ccdip - ideally you'd panel the walls before the cabinets go in... there had been a couple of things that happened during the course of construction at my house that led to my putting these in after the cabinets were in (thus the reason they are 1/4"... any more than that and it would have eaten up too much of the stile).

thanks again everyone for your comments - means so much to me and so nice to read all the accolades after the amount of energy and thought that went into this.

• deedles
    11 years ago

I can't believe I didn't comment on here? Maybe it was your lighting thread but no matter: can't add any adjectives to the comments above and I agree with them all. You've raised the bar with this kitchen. 'Wow' wherever one looks and the little touches that add to the overall, like the diamond glass doors, for instance. Love that it feels old but hip, too.

A request: Can you share the paint color in the pantry?

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Dear Mamadadpaige,

Your former kitchen has just been displaced
    by your new kitchen as my all-time Gardenweb favorite.

I can't add anything new to all the praise others have dished out
    for your wonderful kitchen other than to say -- what a sense of style!
    I hope someone taps you soon as "one of the top new talents in kitchen design".

Your kitchen manages to marry function
    with a fresh and playful style that perfectly fits your older home.
    Your kitchen will inspire others to take more risks and not play it so safe.

The little glimpse of your dining room, as seen from the pantry,
    leave me hungry to see more of that room as well.
    I love the rug and the fabric on your dining chairs.
    Would yo be willing to show more pictures?

• anrol
    11 years ago

Love it! The backsplash is wonderful. So different from the norm!

• equest17
    11 years ago

Mamadadapaige, your kitchen is absolutely lovely! So peaceful, yet functional and welcoming also.

I absolutely love your wall panel idea and would like to get a few more details. You said it was 1/4 plywood ripped down with spacers. Could you tell me the width of the boards and the size of the spacers? Did they just caulk any butt joints where they had to lay lengths end to end? And was this applied over standard 1/2" drywall?

I would love to try this on a ceiling and I'm wondering if you have any other feedback or "lessons learned" you could share regarding the wood wall. TIA!

• eam44
    11 years ago

Wonderful - what else is there to say?

Can you add contact info to your trade list for those who need a consult? I'd be happy to hire you to give me layout ideas. None of the suggestions that I've gotten here have been helpful, and every KD I've hired (going on four now) gives me back my current layout, or the alternative I came up with, neither of which is that great. Thanks.

• boxerpups
    11 years ago

truly beautiful. I knew there was a reason I popped back
    into GW.

Lovely!
    ~boxerpups

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Hi Mamadadapaige,

A different look from your kitchen,
    but a similar use of a halo fixture over an island for dramatic effect.
    I thought you would enjoy.

The picture is from an add in the Dec/January 2013 House Beautiful.

{{gwi:1959103}}

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Hi Mamadadapaige,

A different look from your kitchen,
    but a similar use of a halo fixture over an island for dramatic effect.
    I thought you would enjoy.

The picture is from an add in the Dec/January 2013 House Beautiful.

{{gwi:1959103}}

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

hi mamadadapaige.
    i was hoping to send you and email but there wasn't one on your page.

can you tell me what the dimensions of your room are from the fireplace wall to the range? also what is the depth?

yours is one of the most beautiful designs, like all the other GW's posted. drool drool and drool again.

TY TKO !

• lindayeahthatsit
    11 years ago

This is a amazing kitchen. I am doing a new build right now and I may have to copy!! One question, though- how did the plywood backsplash pass code/get a permit? My husband seems to think the wood behind a pro range would not pass county inspection. Tips?

• Mags438
    11 years ago

Absolutely beautiful kitchen! One of my faves

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

I keep coming back to see your kitchen! DD2, in from Canada for Christmas, is also in love with it, so you're an international sensation! Speaking of international, how did you buy the Harlequin paper? I would love the Silhouette in truffle for an accent in my kitchen, but the UK company where I found it won't ship it to the US. Any tips would be terrific!

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

How did I miss this? It is so beautiful! Love all of your choices, beautiful.

• firstmmo
    11 years ago

I am a HUGE fan of all things farmhouse and yours fits the farmhouse modern style with an A+! Love the horizontal wood and the white. It's such a beautiful clean style. I am in awe of the TV lift--such a clever idea. Love love love it!! I remember when I adored your old kitchen. This one is totally different and it's amazing again!!

• zackin
    11 years ago

Like everyone else, I love your kitchen. I wonder whether you would mind answering another question or two?

The round knobs on upper cabinets look very much like the aluminum knobs from Smedbo that I'm looking at. Can you tell us the make and model number of your knobs? Did you have any difficulty matching the finish to the pulls you've used in other areas?

Also, how has your marble countertop been functioning for you? I know there are a million threads about the pros and cons of marble in the kitchen, but would love to hear one more experience.

thanks very much.

• ratrem
    11 years ago

Wow this is amazing. I love everything you did. Style wise this is definitely the look I favor and love. You pulled it off and it is amazing. I loved peaking into the other rooms too as I recognize that type of house and floor plan. Definitely worth all the hard work. Looks gorgeous and probably functions even better.

• Lorenza5064
    11 years ago

What did you pay as an upcharge for those walnut interiors for the drawers? Very handsome indeed!

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Mammadadapaige,

Those walnut drawer interiors are so beautiful.
    How are you liking your bread drawer? So beautiful!

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Another swoon....

• mamadadapaige
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh Thank you all so much (Francoise47 you have had so many kind words through the years! - thank you! )... to those that posted back in NOvember... sorry I didn't see those posts but would be happy to respond now - not sure if you are still around:

colorfast: re: the barn door hardware - yes the contractor put a metal stabilizer on the floor and routed out a channel on the bottom of the door so that the door doesn't move front to back when opening it. I bought hardware to be recessed into the back side of the door for opening from the stairwell side but I didn't have them install it because it is easier to open it by pushing on the shaker panel plus most times I am running down to the basement and running back up so I just leave it open during those times.

ccdip: I used a best by broan liner for the hood. it is 54" wide - i love the lights - it works well but is very loud on the loudest setting but I didn't have an option of trying to get the fan much further away than it is. The planking went in after the wall cabinets but really should have gone in before. My contractors were working 3 jobs at once and had other people helping them on my job and some things slipped through the cracks that caused me to make on the spot un-planned for additions / changes to my overall scheme. all's well that ends well though, right?

deedles: thanks! the colors in the pantry are as follows: the trim color was meant to match the outlines of the leaves on the wallpaper - it is C2 Coachmen's Cape. Here is the formula:
    YO 23
    VT 40
    BK 23
    WH 62
    BL 6
    On the ceiling is C2 Mortar with Modern Masters Opaque Champagne over it.
    The red on the cabinets came from the cabinet company - it is called Revolutionary Red and has some light distressing to it.

equest - the boards are 5-3/4" high with a 1/4" space between them... lesson learned on this is that the edges should be primed/painted before going up. Because they weren't they were sucking up a ton of paint and it made the painting job much more difficult. It would have saved hours upon hours for the painters had they had access to the boards to put a quick coat on them. Also, re: your question of the joints - yes, they used a wood filler between them. The only wall with joints is the wall with the barn door - all the other walls had a natural place to break up the length.

gofigure- I will post a floorplan following this so that you can see the dimensions. thanks so much for your nice comments!

francoise47: I love that House Beautiful kitchen - gorgeous!

lindayeathatsit: My original plan had been to put up the Wolf STainless 20" riser with shelf. I have it in the basement but I just loved the spare clean look of that wall without being broken up by a stainless rectangle. So now my plan is this - to have a piece of tempered glass cut to size and installed behind the range. I still haven't done it. My contractor is on me big time so he can get this signed off on. Will post a pic when that is done. I have had a death in the family and many other things hitting me left, right and center and just haven't been able to focus on this one little thing.

fouramblues - thank you! glad DD likes it too. I got the paper from the Martin showroom in the design center in Boston. I set up a trade account with them (you need a resale certificate). Harlequin shipped directly to me from England. I could possibly order for you if you don't end up having another option.

fredanj: the knobs and pulls are from Duverre - Forged 3 by Heinz Pfleger. They have all different sized pulls as well as round and square knobs in two different sizes. The longest pulls I only had to use on the drawers in my peninsula (17") fortunately as they were quite pricey. The rest are all 9" and were more reasonable. I love the rippling on them.

re: the marble - it is fantastic. I had the Dupont stain sealer put on it and it really does work. DD left a pomegranite leaking juice out over night and it came right up. there have been plenty of wine spills and spaghetti sauce and everything else and it comes right up. because it is honed I am not seeing etching. it is not a fancy marble but I wanted something white and this was the least expensive I could find - it doesn't have the beautiful veining but I do love it and am completely satisfied most especially because I don't have to baby it. (it was $75 per square foot installed including all the sink cutouts, etc).

Lorenza - thank you . I love the walnut drawerboxes. I am dealer for the cabinets that I installed so I got a pretty good deal (20% less than typical cost). In that case each drawer and rollout was $32 (would have been $43). Because I have 20 drawers and rollouts between the kitchen and butler's pantry it was almost $700 for this... sort of frivolous but I do love them especially on the knife drawer, the bread box and the oil/spice rollout.

Francoise47: I LOVE the bread drawer - had one in my last kitchen and just had to have this again. I also keep snacks in there such as pretzels, chips, etc. Just a nice place to keep these types of things and this bit of coutnertop is where I tend to stand when getting the kids lunches in the morning so it is very convenient for me to have everything so close at hand. The knife drawer ... I did not need this but figured it is such a cool thing that the cabinet maker does I should show it. I am surprised that this is one of my favorite things. The knifes come with it and I love them so much more than my knives that I thought were so great (which I got as a present from parents many many years ago when I was in my 20's). My initial order with the cabinet company did not include the knife insert. I had a friend over who was helping me cook for our other friend's surprise party and she broke one of the wustof knives -- it just snapped right in half! never heard of such a thing but it seemed like an omen to add the knife insert to my order and I am so glad I did. I also have the Blum servo drive on my trash drawer and I just love this. Most of all I love the Wolf 48" range and the ability to work with people on the peninsula or by myself looking out the window to the left of the range or watching tv when by myself yet able to work. Thank you again my friend.

• mamadadapaige
    Original Author
    11 years ago

posting dimensions for gofigure... I had to reduce the jpeg so much in order for it to load up so not sure it will be legible.

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with the passing of a loved one, plus all the turmoil of the holidays! Thank you so much for taking the time to post all that helpful info in spite of it all. I really appreciate your willingness to order wallpaper for me, too! I finally found a place that will ship to the US, so a sample is on its way to me. I sure hope the colors work in my kitchen, since I'm enamoured of that paper!

• twingle
    11 years ago

I have always wanted a Wolf range. Are you pleased with it??

• mamadadapaige
    Original Author
    11 years ago

twingle, SO pleased with the wolf range. I absolutely love it. Have not used the grill yet, but the griddle is great. I am very pleased with the simmer I can get which was a very important feature for me based on how I cook. My only tiny complaint is that if you put something (for instance cookies) on the bottom rack they will get too brown. You really need to use the middle rack ... the ball bearing rollout rack is the bottom one so I tend to use that one without thinking but I am learning that I have to be more discerning based on what I am cooking.

I have made a lot of homemade pizzas since we had the range installed and it comes out AWESOME.

I am very happy with it. Best range I have ever had (but that only includes the GE Monogram (last place)
    and the Kitchenaid (2nd best after Wolf))

• twingle
    11 years ago

Thanks Mama. I don't have gas available where I live so I may have to do propane. I'm a little nervous about that.

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!

• chessy
    11 years ago

I hardly ever post. my first reaction to your "after" pictures was "wow wow wow!" happy to see i'm not the only one with that reaction. Congratulations on your beautiful kitchen!

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    11 years ago

Mama- Can you email me about ordering the Harlequin paper. The sites I found won't ship to the states. Absolutely amazing kitchen.

• Laura517
    11 years ago

Hi Mama- hope you are doing well and that your email is still linked to this page. What a stunning kitchen! It is so unique, and it ties together so well!
    I am going to install a barn door instead of a pocket door across our mudroom to block out the kids' mess when company comes. I am wondering where you purchased your door? It looks like an interior door...doing research, is it by Reeb? Is it a wood door? I am trying to find a door that is not too heavy but not too light either. I see the link for the hardware and like how you had a channel placed on the bottom to keep the door from swinging against the wall. Now that it has been a few months since you had it installed, is it still functioning properly and would you change anything about it?
    I would love to have you help me with our new home. I absolutely love your design aesthetic. I live near Newport, RI about 1 1/2 hrs from Boston. Would you consider coming down here or could you recommed someone to help me with some design decisions who lives closer? Thank you!

• mamadadapaige
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you chessy and angc. Angc, i purchased the wallpaper at the Martin showroom in Boston. I have a trade account set up there and they did ship to me directly.

Laura, I responded to your other thread re: the door but I don' t think I included the brand. I got them at Moynihan Lumber in Beverly, MA (local to me). I think they are by Lemieux. very inexpensive. but not super heavy weight. BUT it is working well. and totally holding up to daily use of dogs / kids / laundry baskets in arms / backpacks / lots of coming and going.

my plan would not have worked with out the barn door.

the one disappointment with the barn door hardware is related to the bolts --- the black paint stripped off of them when my contractors installed them. i thought i'd touch up with a little bit of matte black paint but of course that hasn't happened.

• Jancy
    11 years ago

Hi mama - I have been a lurker here for quite some time and your kitchen is just beautiful. I live in a very small condo in Everett ( believe me - my whole kitchen could fit in your pantry area) I had new appliances delivered a couple of months ago and fridge water supply leaked do to delivery company's error and ruined my kitchen.
    I am looking to speak to some contractors in and around the area along with Kitchen Designers and was wonder if you would be kind enough to tell me who you used or any other recommendations. Thanks so much

This post was edited by jancy on Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 22:07

• mamadadapaige
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jancy,
    sent you a private message with recommendations.
    mdp

• Jancy
    11 years ago

Thank you so much mama - I haven't a clue yet on what I want for cabinets, counters and flooring etc. Still going through quite a bit with insurance and haven't given enough thought yet as to what I want. This whole thing is a bit overwhelming. I'll be keeping your pm, with your great info and post back when I actually know what direction I'll be going in.
    Parking in Everett isn't a problem but Charlestown sure is! If it's not to much trouble - could also let me know who your friend used in Charlestown and designer in Melrose?
    Thanks again - I really appreciate it

This post was edited by jancy on Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 23:39

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

Wow, that is just stunning! Was that vinyl sheet on the walls *and* the cabinets in the before epics? Your new kitchen is so elegant and open, definitely a room I would want to spend time in!

• Laura517
    11 years ago

Thanks mama for the information regarding the barn door. Glad it is working out. I like the idea of adding a strip to the end to make it look thicker. Now off to find a good-looking affordable door.
    Happy to see all the newcomers posting about your gorgeous kitchen! You are almost at the 150 limit!

• sundownr
    10 years ago

I have looked at your kitchen so many times and just realized I never commented. I love your kitchen! The plank walls, the wallpaper, the painting, the chairs, the marble, all of it! Whatever work you had to go through to put your plan together was worth it. ♥♥♥

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

mamadadapaige, I hope you are still around GW and receive my post! i am still admiring your kitchen and love the stunning chandelier light you chose above your island. one question for you, do you find that the chandelier provides sufficient brightness since it uses those edison bulbs? i really want to use edison bulb fixtures for my kitchen banquette but really need it to contribute brightness (really afraid of my kitchen being dark since I went with walnut). thank you for your feedback!!

• J Pasquale
    8 years ago

love love love the shiplap backsplash!!

• Joan Black
    5 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. I wondered if you would mind taking a picture of the cabinets with the grilles on the inside. I ordered them from Britain and they are beautiful but I am not sure how to install. Thank you.

• audreychirgwin
    5 years ago

I love this kitchen! Also have same question-- Did you use hardi planks for the backsplash? If so, how did you finish them? I'm getting ready to put up backsplash in my kitchen and want to use the planks, but am not sure what paint or sealer to keep it clean. Thanks so much for any feedback you can give me. I read every post! I am confused if you used hardi planks or plywood. Can you please clarify????