Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jml248_gw

Never had a kitchen this large, struggling with the layout.

jml248
9 years ago

Just have to say first these forums are such a wealth of information. I've been lurking for a while and finally feel brave enough to post !

Background: husband and I are doing a complete gut of the kitchen (and house)
I'm an avid cook and baker. My husband doesn't cook but many of ours friends and family do.
Also do canning and food preservation-- have a very large garden. Cleaning and prepping of fresh food is very important.

Appliances: one appliance I am set on is 48" bluestar range. We weren't planning of buying a new fridge since ours still works. Do not currently have a DW but it would be nice.
I'd like a double basin farm sink, at least 33" but I haven't selected one yet.

Goals. Functional storage--- our house has none!
Lots of light
Open layout that we can entertain informally in the kitchen while cooking
Biggest is obviously functional layout for actually prepping, cooking.

I put in a window to play around. The layout is reflective of us altering some load bearing walls. Very open to window placement, also even removing the door on the right wall if that improves the footprint. (Goes to a more or less 3 season room). It's about an 8 foot ceiling on a good day soooo.

The only real restrictions on layout is the "doorway" into the LR, that has about. 12" square beam that is supporting the entire house.

I'd like to use the right wall that continues after the 3 season door for something functional, I was hoping maybe a beverage/breakfast bar area with storage and stool seating or more pantry storage, but the design is just not jiving in my head.

For some reason I feel an aversion to putting a sink in the proposed island, but that seems to be hindering the flow. I'd appreciate help very much. My brain is a muddle. At this point I'm just trying to achieve a rough layout.

Comments (4)

• practigal
    9 years ago

What is the u shaped space next to the 7'10.0", a closet? And what is the space between it and the exterior wall being used as? I see the door into the living room but I do not see the rest of the wall that the door is in could you please draw in and indicate the loadbearing wall? There appears to be an odd wall at an angle next to the fridge, what's the story on that?

• jml248
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The u shaped space is stairs. The crooked wall is just my poor skills with the app on my ipad. I tried to correct the wall and put a couple more labels to indicate the layout more effectively

As far as the doorway/load bearing wall, it will literally just be a beam as indicated which leaves a doorway sized space which goes into the LR. I put arrows in to indicate where the walls are that will be taken out to open up the
    Layout. All that will be left is the beam, which cannot be taken out .

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

An 8' wall really can't handle a 4' range on it, cabinetry wise and scale wise. You'll need a minimum of 27" for a blind corner, and that's the worst kind of corner. That only leaves you 21" of room for a cabinet, and that's if you shove the range right into the corner. If you use 9" for a pantry pull out next to the blind corner, then that only leaves you 12" for landing right next to a doorway, for what is a very large range.

If the door to the outside shown on the right could move down quite a bit further, that would be the better wall for the range. Of course, if the fridge is gonna be on that wall too, then it's still too small for that as well as encroaching on what I'm assuming is the dining area.

The undefined area between the living room and the wall to the right, in front of your entry, what is it's designated purpose? Could that serve as your dining area?

Please take away the ideas from my very quick cut and paste. I'm sorry that I didn't have time to check it dimensionally. I'm still a little unclear about some measurements from your diagram and didn't really have enough time to look too closely.

• jml248
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay so hubby nixed getting rid of the door. So I tried flipping some stuff around.
    I'm envisioning the island as the central prep/baking area, which also gives a secondary prep area when I'm sharing the kitchen with someone. I know the island butts into the walkway, but I don't see travel directly from the sunporch to the laundry room as a heavy traffic path.

I also added our freezer, which I forgot to the left of the stove. The fridge is to that right of the sink.

Is this a functional layout?

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax