Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aries61

Uppers, 36" with 2pc or 39" with 1pc crown?

aries61
9 years ago

Finalizing cabinet plans and stuck on upper cabinet height. I have 96" ceilings, but after putting in 3/4" hardwood that leaves 95 1/4" . Should I do 36" uppers with a 2pc crown or 39" with1pc crown or something between the 2 heights? I'm doing painted beaded inset. Smaller kitchen 11' 2 1/8" x 11' 4 1/2" .

Thanks

Comments (10)

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Without even thinking about how the crown will look, I'd go with 39" cabinets. I like more storage! Be sure to order an extra shelf for each of the uppers, so you can store moe things without stacking.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Put the level on the ceiling, and the tape from the floor in several spots. Find out how much slope/sag that the ceiling has. You need to design to the shortest distance, while keeping in mind some way to also design to the tallest distance. That usually translates to a 2 pc molding no matter what. Or lots of mudding the ceiling at select points.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Your second piece of crown would most likely be a flat fascia board. What will the height of the crown be, 36" vs 39"?
    Edit: typo

This post was edited by romy718 on Tue, Oct 7, 14 at 22:03

• ardcp
    9 years ago

when i bought my cabs i was told 36" only had 2 shelves whereas 39" has 3. plus the cost is less to do a taller cabinet than larger crown, at least that is what the kd told me.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

My uppers are 42". Standard was 3 shelves; some have 4. Perfect for mugs and glasses, canned goods, and baking dishes.

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the responses.

GreenDesigns: I haven't put a level to the ceiling yet, but have put a tape measure in several places in the kitchen and the distance is the same in all. The only thing is that I'm measuring at the front of the base cabinet to the ceiling since I currently have deep soffits that will be removed that current extend to the front of the base cabinets. I had one KD come over and was surprised when he measured the ceiling height in several places and came up with the same measurment.

romy718: I was planning on using the same crown with either 36" or 39" uppers. If I do a 2pc crown I was going to use a base molding with the top facing down since it has a decorative bead.

Thanks again for the feedback.

• Buehl
    9 years ago

If you are removing soffits, that means the ceiling will need to be patched (or redone), so you really don't know the ceiling height or how level your ceiling will be at this point. Give yourself some wiggle room. If you have a very small amount of space above your cabinets, then any differences will be noticeable.

We used 3-piece molding in our kitchen. The bottom was a decorative short piece, then a flat/filler piece, and the top (against the ceiling) was a more traditional crown molding. The filler piece is what changed - we had about a 1" difference throughout the kitchen but by only varying the height of the filler piece, you cannot tell. If we had tried to use every inch and then had only an inch or two left for the crown molding, the difference would have been obvious/noticeable!

Regarding the # of shelves - you can easily order additional shelves - they're not expensive. We ordered several additional shelves.

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

buehl, actually the ceiling will be taken down and new drywall hung since the lighting in the kitchen is going to be changed and easier then trying to retrofit lighting when the ceiling is up.

I think that I'll probably go in between the 36" and 39" with 37.5" uppers.

Do you have a picture of your 3pc crown to show?

Thanks

• Buehl
    9 years ago

Of course I do! :-)

The top design is our crown molding; the bottom is our light rail.

Installed:

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

buehl, thanks for posting the pictures. Seems like I've seen them before on GW which I probably did.