Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fabrication differences: granite v. soapstone

Posted by peridot44 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 10, 12 at 7:57

I'm going to search for a soapstone fabricator soon. My GC has never subbed out for soapstone before. And, my cabinet guy "has only heard bad things about how fragile it is."

So, needless to say, I'm not asking them for fabricator recommendations.

Based on what I've learned on GW, soapstone and granite should not undergo the same fabrication process. So, I need to be wary of a fabricator who can't articulate how he would do soapstone differently from granite.

But, if I'm going to be an educated consumer, I need to know the right answer when I ask, "how do you do handle a soapstone fabrication?" Basically, I'd like to know what part(s) of the granite fabrication process are no-nos for soapstone.

Can anyone tell me the key things to look for? Or, just as important, what responses would tell me I should avoid a certain fabricator?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fabrication differences: granite v. soapstone

You would do best to find someone who just works with Soapstone. What part of the country are you in?

o

I'm in the western suburbs of Baltimore (Go O's!)

But, I'm willing to travel, if the fabricator is excellent and my house is within his range.

o

any competent granite fabricator should be able to fab soapstone. In most respects soapstone is easier to fabricate.
anyone thats been fabbing for a while should already have soapstone experience.

Sealing is a good question to ask; soapstone can be oiled repeated after installation, sealed, or sealed with enhancer. Oiling or seal & enhance bring out the most color in the stone. A good fabricator will explain the difference and give you a sample before they apply the oil or sealer.

o

Please feel free to call me at my work. Avanti Marble & Granite, Inc. We are a distributor of Soapstone and I can answer any questions you might have. 301-874-3900 We are in Frederick, MD.

o

Hi again - I hope you didn't take my above message the wrong way. I am not trying to sell you anything. We do not sell to the general public. It struck me that it might sound like a sales pitch. I truly would just answer any questions you might have.

o

Gardenstate Soapstone in N.J. (others have found them great, though I didn't have a great experience with them...needed Fla. Joshua to refinish my counters.) Bucks Co. Soapstone in Philly, M. Texeria in NY will all come to Baltimore. If you go local....GET REFERENCES and go see the soapstone installed to see if it meets your expectations.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here