Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenredo2013_gw

HELP! Cabinet door hitting appliances

kitchenredo2013
10 years ago

I just had a new kitchen installed. I love it. It's cherry with a rosewood finish. Anyway some cabinet doors are banging into adjacent appliances etc.
my cabinet guy suggested either chain on the hinges or a special hinge adapter-not sure what it is or looks like- so that it stops before hitting. What have you all done? All suggestions are appreciated as i don't want to ruin my huge investment.

Comments (13)

• Kathy Rivera
    10 years ago

I'm getting two for next to my hood - as much as I try to be careful, I'e opened into it a couple times.

The chain is supposed to be mounted to the top of the cab and the slack rests on top of the cab. So I guess in an island install it would hang below. Don't know if you would see it or if it might brush on your feet - which would make me jump every time! LOL

My KD showed me two other options from Haefele. A 'door stay' and a 'door restraint'. (Google for pics) He didn't like the way the 'stay' installed - - said it was hard to adjust and felt too tight opening and closing. So I am going to go with the 'restraint'. Not in yet, but seems an easy fix.

• willtv
    10 years ago

We had a similar problem, not with appliances, but with the range hood and adjacent walls.
    We installed these cable restraints.

They're available from Hafele.
    I'm attaching a link below.
    HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: Hafele Cable Restraint.

• kitchenredo2013
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much. These ideas are great and we will look at them. Where did you get them?

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Chains??? This isn't 1970! Blum makes hinges that stop at a 90 degrees angle. It looks like all their other hinges.

Here is a link that might be useful: previous thread

• heidihausfrau
    10 years ago

Our Blum hinges have a screw that you tighten to restrict how far it opens. Probably what Mayflowers is talking about (didn't go to link)

• heidihausfrau
    10 years ago

Our Blum hinges have a screw that you tighten to restrict how far it opens. Probably what Mayflowers is talking about (didn't go to link)

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

Yes there are Blum hinges that open less, you can also get a restricter for the Blum Soft Close hinges that fits in the hinge.

If you have non Blum hinges you have to make sure that the drilling pattern is the same if you want to swap them. The cup drilling is generally standard between mfg but the other holes are not- some are, some aren't. If the drilling is the same that is the easiest- if not then the cable is a good choice.

• kitchenredo2013
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do the restrictors go on all hinges or just one? There is also a soft close adapter. Can I use both. You have really good info. Thanks.

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

The "in hinge" restricters only fit Blum hinges that have integral soft close, the do not fit standard hinges. The last one I did we put them on two hinges per cabinet since both were soft close.
    There is a seperate soft close damper (old style soft close) that can be had for most brands.
    If you have Blum and want soft close and restricter change the hinge.
    Am adding soft close to some cabinets with Grass hinges now and opted to change out the hinge instead of using the pistons. We are only adding one hinge per cabinet, but those are Grass (and don't align with Blum drilling). I don't know the spec for number of hinges per door with Blum, I suspect it is two. Origianlly we found grass recommended two but checked further and can use one.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Thanks - my blind corner will hit the handle of the adjacent cabinet and I think the KD has the Blum adapter on order for me.
    For my fridge and hood - the GC popped a clear silicone circle (similar to what is on the bottom of some cutting boards). You would have to look really hard to see them. One is near the top of the fridge and the other on the side of the hood - No one who has seen the kitchen has spotted them and asked about them.

• 1929Spanish
    10 years ago

I chose the path of least resistance and put some rubber sticky dots in strategic places on the hood and wall where mine touched. Oh, the shame...but it works and you have to look to notice them.

Edit....I just realized a2 and I think alike!

This post was edited by 1929Spanish on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 18:41

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Spanish ;-) but I believe you have that gorgeous backsplash :-)
    Sometimes simple is best

• lucas_tx_gw
    10 years ago

Ditto on the clear bumpers. Cheap, work great, not noticeable.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio