Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizpiz

Need to know quick! Sanded vs unsanded grout - what to use?

elizpiz
15 years ago

Hi all - I may get responses too late to make a difference, but in the interest of others who might need to know - what's the difference between sanded vs unsanded grout? Our floors are being grouted today and our GC tells us that we should get sanded grout. The place where we bought our floor tiles (which are honed limestone), suggested unsanded. GC says that because the floors are heated, sanded is best (stronger) and that he never uses unsanded.

What's the difference and more importantly what's the difference in the end result (look?).

TIA,

Eliz

Comments (16)

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

I've learned from this forum (thank bill v.!) that unsanded grout is used for narrow grout lines like 1/16 and sanded for larger. I don't know how the fact that the stone is limestone factors in. Is it honed and filled? Hopefully, Bill or another expert will chime in.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Hopefully Bill or some of the other experts will see this. I am not an expert, but I do know that sanded is much stronger and hold up better. I think it is intended for 1/8" or wider grout lines. For teeny grout lines, you have no choice but to use unsanded.

• elizpiz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for the quick responses - I love this forum!

Eliz

• gshop
    15 years ago

Hi Eliz:

Post your question in the John Bridge tile forum. They are a HUGE help when it comes to all types of tiling questions. They were great help when we were doing our backsplash project. Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: John Bridge tile forum

• heimert
    15 years ago

There's a difference in look because sanded grout has, surprise, sand in it that is visible. The texture is rougher and gives more dimension. Unsanded is pretty smooth and probably better used where the grout lines are thin.

As for strength, I'm a bit puzzled just because grout isn't going to add strength of any sort either way. The tiles better be set well in mortar to stand up. The grout is just to seal the gaps. If it cracks it's because there's movement in the tiles or subfloor, which is a problem with that, not the grout.

• redroze
    15 years ago

I'm curious about this as well. Eliz, please post your findings, thanks!

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

Non sanded grout for 1/8'' & smaller grout lines. Sanded for larger. Sanded grout is stronger and there's less shrinkage w/ sanded grout. (That's because the sand doesn't absorb any water that will then evaporate and shrink the grout.)

• elizpiz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all. GC ended up using sanded (grout lines are 1/8") and the floor looks great. Will post pics in the next day or so when it's cleaned up.

Eliz

• redroze
    15 years ago

Great description Bill! Interesting that our grout lines for the backsplash will fall at the 1/8th mark like Elizpiz. Bill, you mention 1/8" or bigger use sanded. I noticed Cilantro mentioned 1/8" or smaller use unsanded. Our GC recommended unsanded. What do you recommend at exactly the 1/8 mark?

• redroze
    15 years ago

I'm guessing you'll say 1/8" should go with sanded...your instructions were very clear above. (Please don't yell!) Just want to double check. =)

• kdonald
    14 years ago

We have large grout lines (about 1/4") on our shower floors and our installer used unsanded grout. Of course, it's cracking (and it's only been about 2 months). How should we fix this? Regrout sanded over the existing cracks? Or do we have to remove all of the unsanded grout and have the whole thing regrouted?

Thank you!
    Keri

• TileExcellence
    10 years ago

Hi Keri,

Sorry to hear about your installer not choosing the appropriate grout for your shower. Unfortunately, my recommendation would be to remove the unsanded grout before you re-grout with the correct sanded grout. The reason is more then likely there is not enough area that the sanded grout will stay in the joints properly. There needs to be at least 1/8 inch layer of new grout in the space to stay put and not flake or crack. It would be helpful to use an acrylic mortar admix liquid to the sanded grout which will make it adhere better.

Good luck!

This post was edited by TileExcellence on Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 22:11

• kbsl
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We are doing restroom remodeling. Please help us on the following questions.

1. Restroom floor + closet floor(tile size: 6"x46", rectified): We want to use non sanded grout with 1/16 grout line. However, GC wants to use sanded grout with 1/8 grout line. He said it's more durable his way. But we really like small grout line for the look. Plus our floor tile is rectified. Is non sanded with 1/16 grout line durable enough for floor tile?

2. Shower room wall (tile size: 12"x24", non rectified): Same question. Sanded grout with 1/8 grout line VS. non sanded with 1/16 grout line. Which way should we go?

3. Shower floor (2x2 mosaic). How big the grout line we should use?

Thanks.!!

• rishrad
    8 years ago

Aa Haa, all you experts! I am a DIYer. My grout line VARIES from 1/16 to 1/4!! But not a problem. I shall use sanded grout, and in special instances, pick out the sand particles. Or perhaps not! But in all seriousness, I have this problem, and I totally appreciate bill_vincent's cut-and-paste response above. I guess I will use sanded grout and just have to be extra careful when I am grouting thin grout lines.

• Andrea W
    6 years ago

I heard that sanded grout will scratch the finish of polished/honed marble/limestone.