Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
niki_friedman

Can I do three diff kinds of cabinet hardware?

Niki Friedman
9 years ago

Going with off white shaker inset uppers and slab drawer/shaker lowers. Danby or cararra counters- possibly honed absolute black on the perimeter. 'd like to do those pretty latches for the prominent uppers.

http://www.myknobs.com/jacl101sn.html?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=myknobs&gclid=CjwKEAjw77OhBRCJ7Onfp_HNtwYSJACZqHAWaLOntO9u2fIWexw6mi-g7Wybx8S5AiFv8B7vaX9QThoCBLTw_wcB

For the lowers, I'd like to do a combo of cup pulls and glass knobs. Are the three of these together too much? Could I do some of the glass knobs on the uppers as well? I really love the look of the latches but I know that they can be a pain to open and close and with inset they may need adjustment with the weather changes. Thought I could save some $ as well by mixing in with the glass knobs.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Liberty-Design-Facets-1-3-16-in-Acrylic-Faceted-Cabinet-Hardware-Knob-P30101-CHC-C/202023326

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Martha-Stewart-Living-Bedford-3-in-Polished-Nickel-Canopy-Cup-Cabinet-Hardware-Pull-P20633C-PN-CP/202241364

Comments (29)

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

I would say so.
    Here is an example (and she even mixes her golds and silvers):

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

*eek* Hydragea! There are so many things in that house that drive me batty!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I would not do it, Vienna. IMO, the cupboard latches look much too heavy to be placed above the acrylic knobs. For that matter, the cup pulls also look too heavy next to those knobs.

• plllog
    9 years ago

I don't know about that specific ball pull, but that's the type that falls apart if it's used a lot. For drawers and doors that will be opened frequently, I really recommend the kind of knob that has the screw head on the inside, and the knob twisted onto the screw. You can generally put the balls back on with epoxy (mix on a piece of foil, and apply with a toothpick).

As someone who has always lived in earthquake country, I don't agree about the weight of the latches, though they'd look better with crystal or at least faceted glass, so the light would bounce around, rather than plastic. Latches on uppers only is a thing where the uppers could fly open and dump one's dishes. :) I'd agree about the weight thing if it were all clear knobs on the lowers, but you were just talking about the top level drawers, right? With the cup pulls on the rest? That should be fine.

This is an eclectic, grown in place look. It'll make your kitchen look like the lowers and uppers were installed at different times. It should look fine, but it's more shabby chic than done up. If you do clear knobs on some uppers, too, but not all, the latches will look retrofitted because those are the cupboards that wouldn't stay closed. Since you say "prominent", the story is those are the ones where you wore out the old clip latches.

You can change the story by making a logical plan for where you want the latches. Do you have any glass fronts? Or a space that's like a china hutch? Some other way to differentiate the cabinets that will have the latches? Since you want to save money on the latches, maybe only use a very few? Put them on the pantry, for instance, and the broom closet, and knobs on the over counter cupboards. That kind of thing. Some place different works.

In my own kitchen, I have knobs on the perimeter drawers and cabinets, pulls that match the appliance pulls on the island drawers, and a bee shaped knob on the island sink cabinet. I also have patterns of extra knobs on the pantries and appliance drawers to break up the space. My kitchen has a lot of pattern and color, however, and yours is going to be very plain, so can't take as much fuss.

• sweet_tea_
    9 years ago

I don't really have an answer for you, as I'm contemplating the same issue. I was considering cup pulls, 3" pulls and egg knobs. I looked up tons of kitchens and found many examples using 3 different types of pulls, some looked great- some not so great. It can be done, but I think it's a fine line. I'm still undecided. I'll be following this thread to see what all the GW's recommend. :)

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I would sample all three and lay them out --- the MS cup pulls are on the small side, btw. You might want to go with something bigger.

I would be concerned that everything is in scale -- as Errant said --- perhaps choose a true crystal or PN knob in something more substantial

Here's an example of the combo with matching finishes:

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Rumson Architects & Building Designers Well-Designed Interiors

• plllog
    9 years ago

Notice in Gooster's example that the plain knobs on the corner cabinets are the same as the knobs on the latches. Also, there are rules: Cup pulls on drawers, latches on doors, plain knobs on corners.

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all. Here's a new plan...

Latches on all uppers except corners, which would have a glass knob. Would this one look more substantial? We don't have any glass fronts but we are doing two floor to ceiling pantries- one being a stand alone that would love to jazz up with hardware.

http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/products/1-1-4in-hex-glass-knob

Lower drawers would have cup pulls and lower doors the same glass knob

As for the look I'm going for, I wouldn't say it's shabby chic but I am trying to take the formal out of it a bit. We are mixing whites and creams and the counters will be honed danby marble. Cream or white subway tiles with uneven edges.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

I have six kinds of knobs, pulls, cup pulls; so, yeah.
    Casey

• plllog
    9 years ago

Those Rejuvenation knobs are quality, and a very well known, historical shape. I can't tell from the specs which way the screw is. --Oh! There it is in the picture. It looks like the bolts screw in from the back. Perfect.-- If you prefer the faceted look, I'm sure you can find a good one of those as well.

This plan sounds a lot better. In design, you can pretty much make anything work if there's a rule. What you've said makes sense, and it will continue your casual mix aesthetic but won't look higgledypiggledy.

One thing you could do to jazz up your pantries is to use a bigger knob with the same idea as the glass ones. Maybe one that's meant for an inner door. There are some more optoins at House of Antique Hardware.

This post was edited by plllog on Fri, Oct 3, 14 at 1:21

• mallorygins
    9 years ago

Wow, this is an informative post. I live in earthquake country also, yet I don't know anyone with latch cabinets. We use the ugly baby locks to prevent damage. What a concept! Goosters photo of the all white kitchen is beautiful and I love the idea of latches, egg knobs, and cup pulls. My that is beautiful! We haven't decided in hardware yet for our remodel, so this is a top contender.

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you plllog!!! House of Antique hardware has beautiful things and they are less expensive than Rejuvination with more variety. I love the idea of jazzing up the stand alone pantries (one is an actual pantry and one is our catch all messaging center/dog food area/kids art supplies) with larger versions of the latches/knobs from the kitchen. I can totally picture it in my head!!!!

So glad that my plan won't look like a hodgepodge!!!

• michellemarie
    9 years ago

Yes. I have 5 different ones in my kitchen and another in my butlers pantry. The photo on this page is my hutch in my kitchen.

• michellemarie
    9 years ago

My island.

• michellemarie
    9 years ago

My perimeter cabinetry.

• michellemarie
    9 years ago

And my butlers pantry. And in case you couldn't guess, I Love Flowers!

• deeebert
    9 years ago

this is your house and your kitchen and you can do anything you want. Have the courage of YOUR convictions and do what you want.!

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

re: *eek* Hydragea! There are so many things in that house that drive me batty!

lol, really? Like what?

I agree that those pulls are not high-quality enough to be in a kitchen. I still appreciate that she threw them in there next to the brushed chrome bin pulls :-)

• mallorygins
    9 years ago

Hydrangea, now I'm curious where the link is for that house and what the fuss is about!

• gabytx12
    9 years ago

Never thought of this! love this idea to use more than 2 different kinds of knobs/pulls/handles.

Would it look weird to use to different types on the pantry cabinet? handles for lower and knobs for the upper.
    I' am definitely using cup's for the drawers....I know its not very original...but I love the look :)

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for bumping this as I'm now at the point of my reno where I'm finalizing hardware!

Looks like I'm doing three different kinds and two sized of each. Glass knobs on most of the uppers with a few latches mixed in. Large latches and glass knobs on the two pantry cabinets.

Glass knobs on the lower doors. 2 6" Duluth cup pulls on the lower drawers (first in the stack) and 1 8" Duluth on the deep lower drawers.

• jxa44
    9 years ago

I say go for it! I have three different knobs, pulls in my kitchen (see attached), and I love it!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Jxa44 - pretty kitchen. Love the hood & your backsplash. The creamy tan accent tiles with the the white field tiles look great with the countertops.

• jxa44
    9 years ago

Thanx Romy718. At the time we took the picture, the island, kitchen pantry and butler's pantry were still being completed. Now that it's done (and I love it) we have to move :(. Still trying to figure out how to put together the next kitchen.

viennamommy1, I hope my pix helps you to make your decision :).

• jxa44
    9 years ago

michellemarie,

Where'd you find such gorgeous knobs and pulls?

joyce

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jxa- I love your hardware! It absolutely goes together flawlessly. My choices are a little less cohesive, as I'm doing a glass knob and various polished nickel latches and pulls. Fingers crossed that it works!

• jxa44
    9 years ago

viennamommy19, my suggestion is that you find a glass knob that has some sliver/nickel on it to match your other knobs -- like the one in the link below. I find that you can mix all kinds of styles if you use metals in a similar color. I'm no designer, so just my two cents . . .

Thanx for the compliments on my kitchen. It was a labor of love (I didn't work with a designer).

joyce

Here is a link that might be useful: Traditional Glass Knob

• jxa44
    9 years ago

Sorry about that -- wrong link. Duh! The corrected link is below.

I also meant to say in my earlier message that I love your choices. They do all have silver in them, so I think they will look lovely together. The reason I suggested the other glass knob is that it's something that you would have seen in same era as your other knob choices (I think). But your glass knob is nice too!

joyce

Here is a link that might be useful: Traditional Glass Knob