Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alerievay1

Cabinet selection advice

alerievay1
9 years ago

My layout is in the linked thread, below, though I've made a few changes to it (range instead of cooktop and double ovens, which allows for an undercounter steam oven to the left of the refrigerator and a landing spot on that side). We're also thinking of moving the kegerator area to the dining room, but that's up in the air right now. As a reminder, we are keeping the sink wall of cabinets, which are original pine cabinets from the 1930s.

Does this door (Ikea Ramsjo) work with the existing cabinetry? Or should I suck it up, pay double, and get custom?

Here is a link that might be useful: Layout thread

Comments (14)

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

I don't know what to say about style. I'll let someone else handle that, but wanted to let you know:
    - the ramsjo is pinky-white, isn't it? So I think I would paint it another colour.
    - another door style option at IKEA is the ramsjo birch, which matches the style of your existing cabinets better. You'd have to paint it. I'm not sure how successful you'll be painting over wood. Maybe it's ok. I don't have any experience in this area.
    - another option is semihandmade or scherr's. They make custom doors for ikea cabinetry. Perhaps this is cheaper than paying double for custom cabinets.

• alerievay1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's more of an almost white-washed finish. I don't find it pinky-white, but my lighting in the kitchen is pretty terrible (very, very yellow and warm - UGH).

I don't really want to get into the painting business, but I will look at the other door manufacturers.

• practigal
    9 years ago

When you say it needs to work with the existing cabinetry do you mean put that door on any section of the existing wood? If so, no, it doesn't work you'll need to get custom.
    If you mean that you're going to use different doors in another section of the kitchen, like on the island, if you ended up keeping the island, that's fine (although personally that door would not be my first choice-it contrasts too much with the existing cabinetry, I would paint the new cabinets). You can have two different types of doors in the same kitchen.

• alerievay1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, it would be the new cabinetry, not a door on the old.

What color would you paint them? The problem we're having is that a paint color that is not white ends up adding a huge amount to the total price.

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

Maybe a paint colour that picks up one of the tones in your marble (which I assume you're keeping).

This seems like a tough thing to do: getting new stuff to work with the old. Hopefully others will chime in.

• alerievay1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If we did custom, we would probably get them painted a gray green (BM Camouflage).

My biggest concern is that it will look disjointed. However, we do have a lot of white in our kitchen right now (large farm sink, island, and beadboard). I also think the marble will look a lot less yellow once the lighting and paint are cooler?

• Bunny
    9 years ago

A word about BM Camouflage. I have it in my bedroom and adore it, esp. with darker, warmer wood tones like your existing cabinets. It's very chameleon-like and can shift from blues to grays to yellows, depending on the natural or artificial light.

However, I used to also have it in my kitchen and along one dining room wall which both rooms share. It completely fizzled and wimped out. It looked barely there. I finally got rid of it in that space. Both kitchen/dining and bedroom have eastern exposures, so go figure.

If you end up still wanting it, make sure you get your lighting right first and then paint a large enough test board to see if it will hold up in your kitchen. It's a lovely wonderful color, but it's very changeable.

• alerievay1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, linelle! We had it in our old apartment and LOVED it for the reasons you say. But we also have eastern exposures in the kitchen, so that is good to know.

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

bumping up. I'm interested in others' opinions.

• practigal
    9 years ago

I think bm camo on the uppers may work. For me, I'd go slightly darker on the lowers. Paint is a personal preference and painting the board and propping it up in the kitchen's light is the best idea. (I love that existing wall, well worth keeping, imo)

• alerievay1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! My husband reminded me that we planned to do the cabinets a shade or two darker than camouflage. I think I've decided to price out the cabinets in Scherr's/Ikea, then decide. Though Scherr's custom paint pricing may be too high.

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

Your existing cabinet run is gorgeous. I didn't realize until I looked at the other thread that the picture above is showing the counter, and that the floor is saltillo (?) tile. You have some work to get the right cabinet color & secondary counter to work with these existing elements. I can't wait to see how you work it out. I do think that maybe a less modern white might work best. Say, something like BM Coastal Fog, which will read light/white against the other elements. Though I have no idea if it plays well with the Saltillo, etc. If professional painting is out, you should DIY.

• alerievay1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! The floor is going. I don't think it's actually Saltillo, just an imitation. I find tile floors really uncomfortable to cook on, and I'm planning to replace with cork. Also, we are really lucky that we have enough marble from a basement shower demolition to fabricate the counters we need, other than the island top, which will be butcher block.

The softer white idea is a good one. This is just a bit too stark.

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

Cork will be wonderful and comfortable. I looked at a bunch of old kitchen photos this morning trying to figure out my thoughts on colors for your kitchen. On the one hand I think stained trim can be difficult to reconcile with the white shaker cabinet movement, but maybe it is just the current wall paint throwing me off. If you it's your thing, you could get a lovely, Schoolhouse Electric vibe going in your kitchen, with a color scheme akin to the picture. White walls to brighten. Green cabinets to bridge the white and the stained wood.

Also the linked blog post might be helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: paint colors with wood trim