Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
thermofoil

Posted by suanderpen (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 7:10

Does anyone LIKE their thermofoil kitchen cabinets? I'm considering them for my new kitchen. I'm drawn to the easy care of thermofoil. I have grown children who frequent my home + grandchildren and three dogs ...lots of traffic. I need a very functional kitchen. I'm told the color changing and peeling issues are no longer a problem. The product and color is now stablized. Heat shield will be installed to protect the cabinets from the oven/stove. The contractor took me to 3 homes with thermofoil cabinets. I was impressed and those customers said they had no regrets. They use 409 to clean them. I'm told thermofoil is widely used in other countries and not considered "low end" but in the USA it's considered an inferior product. I wouldn't buy the cabinets from a box store. A local cabinet maker will make the box and the doors will come from Canada (Premoule). I've been lurking on GW and come accross some negative views. Any satified thermofoil customers out there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: thermofoil

The new thermofoil look nothing like the old. It used to be that the rounded corners in the raised panel style was a dead give away but now they have done away with that. I have them in my bathroom and they have been fine for 15 years. I even recently had them painted! A local company is able to do something magic with them and the paint adhered to them and has been doing fine for over a year. No nicks or chips. I went from a bright white to a linen white. Looks great! I don't think you could go wrong with this door. I was going to go that route with the expresso cabs but decided to paint the old ones instead. But I was very impressed with the door styles and how they have come such a long way over the years. Seems environmentally friendly too since it's over MDF of some sort.

o

We love ours! No regrets! So easy to keep clean with 3 kiddos and we do LOTS of entertaining in our home.

From Beveled Arabesque Backsplash install

o

We just built a beach house and used thermofoil cabinets everywhere. I wanted white for that classic beach house look, but needed easy clean as we will have lots of guests, dogs, etc. I know thermofoil is greatly frowned upon in this forum which gave me pause, but it's what made sense for us so that's what we went ahead and used. I'm happy with our decision.

o

I got mine 2 years ago. My perimeter is thermofoil; my island is painted wood. (Picture is before island install.) I have no complaints about the termofoil at all. It's awesome to clean (grandkids, 3 dogs and a cat). The cat has been on amoxicillan (pink stuff) and shakes after every dose. I try to get it all, but days later I'll find pink drops in low places and it wipes off so easily. I have noticed that the cabinet frames (not the thermofoil part) have yellowed some compared to my bright white doors, but not all over and no one else notices, so it's not really that bad (yet).

o

Thanks for your replies. I feel more confident with my decision. Love the photos. Beautiful kitchens!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here