Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m2dougherty

Help! Freaking out over Franke Orca ORX110

m2dougherty
10 years ago

I purchased the Orca sink for our kitchen. I am a week and a half away from templating our sink with the ordered granite countertops.

I just sat down to read the directions for the sink. The instructions for the ORX110 in the table say to use the number 4 directions. The number 4 directions say that this sink is designed to be undermounted in a solid surface
countertop only.

Do any of you have an Orca sink installed in granite?
Thank you

Comments (9)

• m2dougherty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

DH and I have been reviewing the directions and are thinking that the sink uses the number 4 directions because of the accessory grids. only the directions for number 8 sinks specifically mentions granite.

On the Franke site it refers to solid surface countertops as being marble or granite or other things.

I will still be very grateful if any of you have an Orca set in granite will chime in here and let me know.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Ours in under granite, no problems! We love it! It holds a disturbing amount of dirty dishes.

• m2dougherty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, thank you so much, I initially thought they mean that it could only be used with Corian or the other man made solid counter tops.

Guess I'm a little jittery with installation day approaching.
    have any of you had an issue as to which disposals are suitable for this sink? I think I saw somewhere that someone had to use a 3/4 hp instead of a 1hp disposal because of space constraints under the Orca sink and to do with the drain line.

Also with the one drain hole do you use the drain ring that goes with the disposal as opposed to a Franke drain surround?

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Michele, not wanting to make you more jittery, but when I got my Franke sink, the template that was included did not quite match the actual sink. If the fabricators had used the template, my cut-out would not have been as accurate as I wanted. I sent my actual sink to the fabricators to make sure that didn't happen. I have the Oceania sink, though, not the Orca, so there may not be any issues with the Orca template.

I used an Insinkerator Evolution Compact disposal 3/4 hp. I used the disposal ring that came with the disposal.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

You have to use the flange that comes with the disposal. If you don't like it Opella makes inserts.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Our beloved Orca was in a granite countertop - here's a picture - nothing to worry about.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

My fit for the GD was pretty tight. I think part of the reason was I shifted the sink about 2 inches, so the pipes were a litte off, and the drain is pretty far back. I did manage to get my 3/4 HP in, but it sits slightly crooked. I'm not thrilled about it, but it works fine so I'm just not thinking about it!

I think things would have been fine if they had taken a closer look before everything was put together. Seems like a slight trimming of one line or rotating the joints would have done the trick, but once the sink was installed that was not really an option.

We got a Waste King 3/4 HP and it is awesome! It's so quiet! I'm used to the old jet engine type models, this is quieter than a lot of blenders.

• hsw_sc
    10 years ago

Our SC house sink is an Orca with an Insinkerator Evolution with the included Insinkerator flange. Miss this sink oh so very much. Here it is set in marble: