Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NJ- Tax on Granite Purchase/Install?

Posted by 2LittleFishies (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 7:05

My fabricator's estimate shows a price for the stone and the fabrication/install and there is 7% tax added to it.... and it's on the whole amount.
Is that right? Another fabricator told me there's no tax.

Right now I'm just giving him the deposit which is for the stone itself for him to get it from yard.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NJ- Tax on Granite Purchase/Install?

Each state has different laws. In Ohio, if the purchase and install is by the same place, no tax. If we purchase and install ourselves, we get taxed.

So, email your state tax department and ask. That way you have the response in writing if they try to charge you tax when they shouldn't.

o
RE: NJ- Tax on Granite Purchase/Install?

OK, it seems we should not be taxed: For other NJ residents....

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/pubs/sales/su2.pdf

Capital improvement means an installation of tangible personal property which increases the capital value or useful life of the real property (land or buildings). The item(s) installed must be permanently attached to the real property.
Capital improvements are exempt from tax with the exception of the following: certain landscaping services, carpet and other floor covering installations, and hard�wired alarm or security system installations.

Exempt Capital Improvement Services. When the work performed on your real property results in an exempt capital improvement, the contrac�tor may not collect sales tax from you on any charges (materials or labor), provided you give the contractor a properly completed Certificate of Exempt Capital Improvement (Form ST�8).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here