Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbienp7

1/2 a Bumped Out Cooktop?--Help!

debbienp7
11 years ago

Our cabinets are already in place and the granite guy came to template and pointed out that because the lazy susan is right next to the bumped out cooktop, the right side of the cooktop can't be bumped out. Has anyone seen photos of this type setup? Does it look okay. My only other option is to have the cabinetmaker redo the upper 2 cabinets flanking the cooktop, add a filler piece to the right of the cooktop and make the drawers to the left of the cooktop smaller. All this to move the cooktop to the left 4 or 6 inches to the left (enough so that the right side of the cooktop can actually "bump" out). Here's a photo of the area with pieces of wood on top. (We were trying to get an idea of what it would look like 1/2 bumped out.)

Comments (25)

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

I would be more concerned if your ventilation will be off if you move the cooktop. Do you have that flexibility through the area you're venting?

I think i could live with the left bump out, depends on what and if any other mods youre requiring.

• lisa_wi
    11 years ago

It looks like you are on the end? How about pulling out the cabinet to the left to match and having a new skin for the side added?

• debbienp7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also, the cabinet with the drawers is only 18", so there's not a lot of room to play with.

• debbienp7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So you think it would look better to have it going straight across than to have it half bumped out?

• debbienp7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

phylhl, my GC has not finished doing the ventilation, so the hood ventilation is not an issue. Oh, wait, I just realized we have the pot filler and that WOULD be an issue to move everything to the right. lisa wi suggested pulling out the left side and putting a new panel on the end. Should I go to the trouble to have that done or just go ahead w/ only the left side bumped out?

• lisa_wi
    11 years ago

It would give you a little extra counter depth and I think in the end would look better.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

It would certainly be a lot easier to pull the base cabinet forward and just have a new side piece made than to move everything else. I think it will look better pulling it forward than leaving it with 1/2 bumped out. If you pull it forward be sure to tell the granite guys.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Without seeing what is to the left of that 18" cabinet it is hard to say. Is there another cabinet there? If not, and you can fill the space that will be created on the side of that cabinet in the back by the wall, then I would pull it out. I suppose the cabinetmaker could make a side panel for that cabinet if it shows. I don't think that I would want the front profile to be different on each side. I like things to be balanced.

• debbienp7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just contacted the cabinetmaker and he said the side panel would need to be switched out BEFORE the granite is installed and he wouldn't be able to make it for 3 weeks. Does this sound right that the panel would need to be installed before the granite?

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Well, you have inset cabinets, yes? If so, would the panel be a finished end that looks like a door? If so, then I would imagine the detail is inset vs a panel that is added on top of what you have. I have full overlay doors and my end panels are added on top of the cabinet.

Can't he make it faster? Does he take bribes?

• debbienp7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, they are inset, but the ends aren't the inset style. The cabinetmaker charged $700 to do that style for the end panels, so we decided against it. I will take a photo of what our end panel looks like and post it. Ha!--the bribe question is funny! Guess I could offer him more money to do it sooner. I don't think we can put off the granite another 3 weeks. We've already had several delays for various reasons.

• lisa_wi
    11 years ago

How big will the gap be? I'm wondering if you could come up with a decorative piece of trim to cover the gap on the side at the back. Or is that a separate piece of granite that could be installed later? Can the cooktop be installed before the granite? Is there a seam behind the cooktop?

• debbienp7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just measured and the gap will be 1 15/16". The cooktop can't be installed until after the granite. There won't be a seam behind the cooktop, it will all be 1 piece of granite.

• Fori
    11 years ago

Who did the design for this? If it was your cabinetmaker and he didn't see this coming, he owes you a rush job! This should have been obvious. And yeah I agree--no half bumpout unless you want to look like you added a cabinet later.

(By the way, the end panels you went with look so much better and more furniture-like than the fake insets do. For $700 even!)

• debbienp7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My cabinetmaker designed the kitchen with many inputs from us. I've been pretty happy with our cabinetmaker. The quality has been top notch and the price was lower than what we were quoted anyplace else for non-inset cabinets. But I kind of feel like this is his area of expertise and he should have pointed out that the cabinet would be a half bump out if we did the lazy susan right next to it. He should have walked me through all the options for the bump out and let me decide what was most important to me and what I was willing to trade it for. Maybe I'll ask my husband to talk to him about this as I'm a wimp and hate confrontation.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Ok, so yes, that end panel IS part of the cabinet. I guess that's what I was getting at. I would surely beg him to do this one panel for you quickly.

good luck!

• taggie
    11 years ago

I agree with everyone above, you have to pull the drawers out or you'll always regret it and yes he owes you a rush job as he really should have known better. 3 weeks? That's crazy. Ensure he knows you will be a great reference for him if he can pull this off for you quickly.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I must be missing something. I don't see how the countertop affects how the lazy susan works.

• taggie
    11 years ago

I don't think it's so much the fact that it's a lazy susan as that it's an angled corner cabinet. Therefore the countertop has to follow the same angle and can't bump inwards first.

• debbienp7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hubby didn't like the 2 dimensional look of leg if we pulled the cabinet to the left of the cooktop forward. So the only alternative is to move the cooktop at least 4 inches to the left, which would require 2 new upper cabinets, and 1 new lower cabinet, and a filler piece to the right of the cooktop. We are having an issue with out granite slabs where 2 ugly copper stains appeared on one of them. The fabricator says they were delivered that way but the wholesaler says that happened because they were left outside for a month. He swapped out the stained one but warned me that the fabricator needs to get them out of the elements without a couple days or the staining could occur on the new slab as well. I don't know if he's telling the truth, but I don't want to risk it, so we just don't have the time to wait on new cabinets being made.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

I think your husband is incorrect.

But it's your money. I'm assuming they are not going to make new cabinets for free.

And don't forget the plumbing for your pot-filler.

• debbienp7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didn't like how the leg looked with the cabinet next to it pulled forward either. If I'm not going to be happy w/ the look, I don't see much difference btwn pulling it forward or leaving it where it is except more cost and more time. The only way I could get it how I want it is to have the cabinets remade. But I'm worried about the what will happen to the granite slab if we wait. Plus the carpenter put up the wooden beams in our ceiling yesterday so now we have nails in the top of the range hood that the holes would show if we scoot everything down 4 inches. There are just too many things to rip out and redo at this point. We haven't asked the cabinetmaker about remaking the cabinets, but I'm assuming he would charge us as he didn't seem very accommodating when I asked him about simply making 1 side panel. Yes, and moving the pot filler over too.

I was looking over the design photos and ariel view of the kitchen design. I realized that when we reviewed the design, the front view of the design looks like there is a cabinet to the right of the cooktop. But it is the lazy susan that is being shown at an angle, but since it 2D, it is simply skinnier and you can't tell it's on an angle. The ariel view does indicate it's on an angle, but I didn't look over that very carefully. Visually the cooktop wall looked fine in 2D and like it would bump out just fine. Grrr.

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

I think when it is all finished, as shown in the picture above, it will look beautiful! It's becoming an impossibility to move the stove or pull the left cabinet out for one reason or another, so just don't worry about it. I don't think it looks bad how it is, and when the granite is on and everything finished, it will be really nice and look like you planned it that way.

• PRO
    Tom Carter
    11 years ago

I agree with Deb....since the right side takes a corner almost immediately, it will be tough to tell the bump out should not be as you have it now. In fact, given that it will be close to the corner, it might look odd to have te bump out on that side and then have it drop back to normal depth and then take the corner...better to have the full depth on that side I think.
    casp

• debbienp7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for being so supportive Deb and Caspian! I am just running out of steam for this remodel. The cabinets, the granite, the cabinet pulls, they've all had problems. I just want to finish it!