Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosie_gw

A kitchen picture that made me smile.

rosie
10 years ago

From the NY Times, Alice Munro in her kitchen in Clinton, Ontario after being awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature for her stories about people living in small towns, usually her own.

Comments (17)

• Cindy103d
    10 years ago

I love that she didn't even feel the need to clear her countertops!

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

Made me smile, too. Thanks for sharing, rosie!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Or the dishes in her sink. :) It may not have even crossed her mind. Here's a good example that life can indeed be good (and your contribution recognized) even if you allow things to sit out on your counter.

• ctbert
    10 years ago

Warm, welcoming, comfortable.
    Thanks for posting!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Made me smile too. Her kitchen is the perfect example of homey and comfortable. I can smell the coffee and cinnamon cake.

• cluelessincolorado
    10 years ago

Thanks Rosie! I think I'll go check out Lives of Girls and Women again.

• boone_2009
    10 years ago

Love her, love her unpretentiousness!! I bet she throws that medal somewhere on her countertop ;-).

• justmakeit
    10 years ago

I love Alice Munro, and her kitchen reflects perfectly how I imagine her to be. And of course, there's a kitchen table :-)

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

That is lovely - I will have to read some of her works.
    Thanks for sharing.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    10 years ago

Love that pic. She has been on my reading "to-do" list. Any recs for which book to read first?

This thread and the kitchen photo of cozy relaxed comfort are interesting in context of the currently-running thread called "hardwood floors-what do you use to clean them?" In that thread, a few posted that they vacuum, then swiffer, then mop, but their floors still aren't clean enough.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

LOL! I missed that...I'm lucky to find time for one of the three. We live on a farm, so if it falls on the floor, it goes in the garbage :)

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting Rosie! And, if any of you ever get the chance to visit Victoria, BC, stop in at Munro's. It's been our favourite bookstore for years, and we didn't even realize the connection! Alice and her hubby started it up in 1963!

Here is a link that might be useful: Munro Books

• Fori
    10 years ago

is that....

PEGBOARD???????????????????????????????

• Marie Tulin
    10 years ago

Good god, the woman just won a Nobel Prize. Thank goodness she spends her time writing and not obsessing about remodeling a kitchen! Consider how many hours, days, weeks, and months it takes to re-do a kitchen....especially if we treat every decision as if our very lives depend upon it. Our lives really do not depend upon our countertops and outlet covers.
    Hers is a life well spent, and her vocation has been a gift to the world.
    I am very glad this picture was posted. It reminds me why my kitchen isn't perfect. I really preferred to be out in the garden to spending my days at Home Depot and my nights on-line. When I got home from work, I really needed to be in the garden solving other kinds of problems: weeds more than windows, for instance. It provided me with solace and a kind of beauty more lasting and rewarding than any part of the kitchen I have now. My kitchen is handsome, but not perfect. All these years gardening taught me gardens are never finished, I don't have control over every thing that happens, beauty changes, and nothing lasts. I suspect some of this knowledge led to discovering that I simply didn't have the energy or interest needed to get that "perfect" kitchen.
    I didn't mean to make this all about me. But that picture of a normal kitchen and that beautiful slightly disheveled woman on this particular GW forum is "food for thought."
    Thanks again,Rosie. This was the best part of a long day.

This post was edited by idabean on Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 23:38

• go_figure01
    10 years ago

Alice Munro is one of my most favorite authors! Her stories are breathtaking. It is hard to recommend which book because they are ALL so good!

And now, this pic, well, may I just say, that I LOVE THIS WOMAN!

• peony4
    10 years ago

What idabean said. :-)

• ginny20
    10 years ago

LOL, I saw that picture on the front page of the Times and didn't even notice where she was sitting. Thanks for pointing it out, Rosie. It does put all of this in rather sharp perspective, doesn't it.