Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stiles_gw

What a difference a year makes! Updated kitchen photo

stiles
15 years ago

I have been reminiscing about how we were living at this time last year. We were living out of our garage and laundry room. It was painful and uncomfortable and I thought it would never end!

I originally posted pics of our 98% finished kitchen last March and I thought I would share this updated photo. We love our finished product and hopefully this will encourage all of you who are in the middle of your remodel to keep the faith! You too, by next year, will be enjoying your new kitchen.

Melinda

Comments (41)

• teddas
    15 years ago

Your kitchen looks fantastic. I love the white here! Very well done... Congrats

• victoriajane
    15 years ago

thanks, I needed that - we (me, dh, and 4 kids) are living out of our basement and I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I will be happy if our kitchen is half as beautiful as yours. I particularly love your ceiling. Congratulations and enjoy.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

I have admired your kitchen many times in the finished kitchens blogspot. Your marble is so beautiful. Is it honed or polished? Also, did you change the color of your cabinet pulls from copper? Just shows that even one year old our remodeled kitchens will delight us! Any details you would care to share one year out that could help those of us in the middle of it all?

• busybme
    15 years ago

Melinda, that is one GORGEOUS kitchen! Magazine worthy, for sure! Congratulations!

Sandy

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I thought that was the cover of a magazine or something. Perfect in every way!! You must be so pleased every time you see it. your kitchen is truely a masterpiece.

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

I was just thinking about your kitchen the other day. It is one of my favorites. Are you enjoying the marble and lavastone? Anything else that you love? Anything you would do differently?

• donna214
    15 years ago

That is a gorgeous kitchen. We are living out of our basement right now and trying to deal with the dust, so your post gives me hope! I love your beautiful pendants and your floor. I love the color but I'm a bit scared to go that dark on mine. How is the upkeep?

• lagrant
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing! Just beautiful! Can you share information about your window treatments and stool cushions? I'm on the hunt for fabric to compliment my marble as well as wall color - both the same as yours.
    Thank you so much!

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

What a magnificent kitchen!

• vjrnts
    15 years ago

It's breathtaking! Fabulous! Oh, I bet you're in there cooking all the time!

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I just love your kitchen with so much natural light from the windows and how everything goes so well to make cooking enjoyable again. Thanks for sharing.

• rbsohio
    15 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! Can you tell me the manufacturer/name of the pendant lights?
    Thanks.

• bbstx
    15 years ago

My computer just shorted out from the drool! Gorgeous! I am shilly shallying about countertops...this leads me toward white!

• morton5
    15 years ago

Forget about the family photo on the holiday card this year-- you should use that photo! Just kidding, but not about how gorgeous your kitchen is! Looks like it would cook like a dream, too. Congratulations and enjoy!

• marthavila
    15 years ago

Omg. Omg! OMG! Did I say Omigod? Omigod!

• onenjen
    15 years ago

That totally looks like osmething straight out of a magazine. Beautiful! If that was my kitchen I'd be afraid to cook in it for fear of it getting dirty!! And I mean that as a compliment.

• dcclerk
    15 years ago

I completely echo others' comments-- what a striking kitchen. It really is a testament about how all the little details make it stand out. I love the attention to the hood and lighting that you made. Out of the ordinary and striking! I also love the ceiling. I think I forget what a difference a ceiling can make. Simply beautiful and I'm so glad that you enjoy working in it.

• atlbeardie
    15 years ago

Nice to see you back again! Yours is one of my all time favorite kitchens. Exquisitely done. And thanks for your PM advice on the Hide-A-Hose. We're still under construction, but plan to have one installed.
    C.

• janran
    15 years ago

Wow!!! It must be so fun to cook in it...even cleaning it would be fun in a kitchen like that!

• jessie21
    15 years ago

Holy Cow! I am speechless with amazement. How on earth do you walk in there each morning and not just stare at it and revel? Out of this world.

• redroze
    15 years ago

Woweee, what a beautiful kitchen. I love all the details, and how you went with simple elements with unique touches. I really like how you did a greyish/black countertop on the island - is it granite? What kind of camera did you use - it looks so crisp and professional!

• stretchad
    15 years ago

Love to know what kind of camera you used!

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

WOW WOW WOW! I love it. I can imagine how much you must be enjoying it. Dinner is what time? How 'bout just a leasurely cup of coffee and a sweet? :) I would love to hang out in that kitchen!

Sue

• stiles
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all the positive feedback! I do love cooking and cleaning and hanging out in my kitchen. I have to admit, the photo was taken by a professional hired by the people who installed our media center. They were taking pics of our basement for a show and I asked if he would take a pic of the kitchen too. So, that's the best my kitchen has looked-usually a lot more mess going on!

To answer a few questions.

Pluckymama: The marble is honed. The pulls look dark but are Old English Copper by Top Knobs.

Lagrant: The window treatments are Windochine-Bulu Habi-Cocoa. The cushions on the barstools is a fabric by Valtekz-Key largo Limestone-tumbled steer.

Robinfromphila: The pendants over the eating area are from ballard design-great price! The pendant over the prep island is custom-need to look it up.

Nclakehouse: I really like my hide-a-hose- you will too!

Redroze: The counter on the island and peninsula is lavastone.

Things I would do differently now that I have lived in it a while are:
    1) move the prep sink to where the bank of 3 drawers are in the island-this would make it closer to stove and farther from little sitting area on island. (Not sure why I didn't see that initially!)
    2)I would love a small dishwasher in the island next to sink.
    3) Have a small drawer for silverware on stove side of island.

I have a bit of duplication with knives, silverware, pot holders, and cutting boards. I really think my next kitchen will not have an island. With our family of 6 we needed it but I do walk around it a bit!

Thanks again for all your terrific comments! I love lurking and looking at all your kitchens and progress. I tell everyone I know who are remodeling or building about this website. It is fantastic!

Melinda

• raenjapan
    15 years ago

WOW! That's just gorgeous. Perfect. I'd love to see photos of the rest of your house; the architectural details look wonderful.

• sundownr
    15 years ago

Congratulations on such a beautiful kitchen! I imagine a great deal of planning went into this and it certainly paid off. So many elements and they all came together so nicely. I'm sure this picture will be saved by many as an inspiration kitchen.

Cindy

• datura-07
    15 years ago

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• huango
    15 years ago

stiles: your kitchen takes my breath away every single time I see it. I love how I find some new and wonderful detail every time I look at it.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

One of my all time favorite kitchens!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

gorgeous! absolutely gorgeous! congrats!

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

Stiles, I noticed you don't have a potfiller. Do you regret that? Did you just decide you would fill pots in the prep sink? I will have a similar set up with my island/prep sink and stove top. Is it pretty convenient? I could save a lot of money if I didn't do a potfiller. I am starting to think that prep sink is easy enough.

• rdsso
    15 years ago

Wow what a wonderful kitchen. I am in envy. What I would give for that kitchen space.

• jennabanenna
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is magnificent. It looks so perfect and yet so inviting!!
    I think our dining rooms are the same two colors! Ive never seen that combo before. It looks better in your room(haha).
    Thanks for posting.

• katiekitchen
    15 years ago

Stiles - where did you get those stools at your island??

• sgruss
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Would you please tell me your paint color in the kitchen and the room beyond? Thanks!

• debsan
    15 years ago

Unbelievably beautiful. It really looks like something out of a high-end magazine. For those of us, who didn't follow your process, can you tell us what material you used on that island top. Congrats to you on executing such a success!

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

Just FYI, I think many of the details are in Stiles' entry in the FKB. From what I remember, the island is lavastone.

• stiles
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am delighted to read your comments! Kelleg: I do not miss a pot filler-thought about it, but too much duplication-I have no problem turning around and filling my pot.
    Jenna-I would love to see your paint color-sure it looks great!
    Katie- my stools are from Berman Rosetti and the finish is chocolate with a cream leather seat.
    laurel-The paint color in kitchen is by Benjamin Moore and is called Pittsfield Buff in a pearl finish and the dining area/homework area is BM in Hepplewhite Ivory, finish is Pearl.
    Kelleg is right, my countertops are lavastone or Pyrolave

• katiekitchen
    15 years ago

Hi Stiles - I was wondering about the black stools at your island with the rush seats...I don't see those at Berman Rosetti. Thanks!!

• stiles
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You are right Katie, the black stools are one in a million-they were my husbands before we were married (14 yrs ago) and I had them refinished and a cushion made. I know he bought them in Santa Barbara but not sure where. I have been unable to find any like them since.

• toddimt
    15 years ago

WOW WOW WOW. That is an awesome kitchen.

On your main sink it looks like you also have an instant hot & cold as well. If so which model? Is that under the sink too? The only pic I didn't see in your whole kitchen is under the sink :).