Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fabfivefigs

Yellow penny tile backsplash- what color walls??

fabfivefigs
9 years ago

I am planning a vintage-y kitchen remodel and definitely want to use this vintage yellow penny tile from HD for my kitchen backsplash:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Merola-Tile-Penny-Round-Vintage-Yellow-12-in-x-12-1-4-in-x-5-mm-Porcelain-Mosaic-Floor-and-Wall-Tile-10-2-sq-ft-case-FKOMPR06/203102315?keyword=vintage+yellow+merola

My problem is that it will not be covering the entire wall- just a backsplash, and there are 2 windows and a range hood on the wall, so no room for upper cabinets. We will have a short section of open shelving. Lower cabinets will be white, grey counters, white apron sink. I can't decide what color to paint the upper part of the wall above the yellow backsplash! Options are:

1. A paler yellow- I am afraid would make the tile look too "muddy". It is a creamy butter yellow with a slight green undertone.

2. A matching yellow- would cause the tile to not stand out, which I don't want.

3. A contrasting color- color theory says purple with yellow, but that seems weird to me and not like "me" in my kitchen. I LOVE aqua, but am feeling like an aqua wall with a yellow backsplash may be a bit too busy? (although I do love lots of color so maybe it would suit me)

4. White? Seems boring but maybe if we did the open shelving in a cool aqua color it could work?

5. Take the penny tile all the way to the ceiling? (8' standard height ceilings) It may be too expensive but would that be best?

Any other suggestions? What would you do?

Here is a link that might be useful: HD Merola Penny Tile- Vintage Yellow

Comments (20)

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

You are already combining yellow and gray so I am suggesting the pale yellow walls.

• nadianyc
    9 years ago

I love that penny tile! Post a pic when it's done. Would love to see it. I'm considering a penny tile backsplash as well.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

More tile. Take it to the ceiling behind the open shelves and hood. Consistency of repeating elements keeps open shelves from being choppy and chaotic feeling no matter how messy their contents may be.

• raenjapan
    9 years ago

Those are SO FUN. I personally love aqua with yellow, but if you can manage it I'd take the penny tiles up to the ceiling. It will be awesome.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

If you don't want to take the tile up to the ceiling, maybe a grey like your countertops.

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

Maybe a blue/gray. Do you have a photo of the counters? I think it's going to be so pretty!

• crl_
    9 years ago

Take the tiles all the way up if you can. If not, I'd paint the walls white. Don't think of it as boring, think of it as allowing the fabulous tiles to stand out. If white feels too stark, I'd do grey.

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

For the paint, I would match the yellow in the tiles. (Or a yellow slightly paler than the tile.) At least for a trial because I think the contrasting grout is going to make the tiles stand out.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Another vote for tiles all the way up. Open shelving can be a busy look if you also divide it up with colors and materials too.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

Creamy white walls. Soften the yellow.

• cawaps
    9 years ago

My first thought--without having read the post--was navy.

But tiling to the ceiling would be great. White or gray walls would be great. I personally think that yellow walls would take away from the tile.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Another vote for tile all the way up. Are you considering resale at all? Just a word of warning, yellow is my favorite color, and because of that I've learned that very very very very few other people like it too, and most seem to actively dislike it. I was so excited when my three-year-old nephew decided yellow was his favorite color. I'm not alone anymore!

Also for fun, you should check out Monet's kitchen. As a yellow vintage kitchen enthusiast, you would like it: http://giverny-impression.com/photo-gallery/monets-home/

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Do the Eurosplash (backsplash the whole wall to ceiling.). I'm doing the same in my kitchen where I have windows flanking the rangehood. I didn't want to have a tile-to-paint line messing with the simplicity.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

I love yellow. The room I'm sitting is called Yellow Corn.
    Those tiles rock. Tile the whole wall!

• fabfivefigs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the input everyone! Great ideas and I'm enjoying all of the responses.

Jillius- good advice about how not all people like yellow. My husband is one of them! Since he's not so sure about wanting a whole yellow wall of penny tile, and I'm thinking towards doing the whole wall now, we're considering this aqua color too (see link below). It is beautiful but almost double the cost :( I could tile the whole wall behind the range hood with this, and paint the rest of the walls in the small kitchen yellow to contrast the aqua.
    Thoughts everyone?

Here is a link that might be useful: Aqua penny tile

• Jillius
    9 years ago

My husband also hates yellow. So ended my dream of a yellow kitchen. I definitely think the aqua has more mass appeal, and I like that too! I have seen green and blue penny time all over the place. I am sure you could find something similar to the new link you posted for a lower price.

Like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Merola-Tile-Penny-Round-Marine-12-in-x-12-1-4-in-x-5-mm-Porcelain-Mosaic-Floor-and-Wall-Tile-10-2-sq-ft-case-FKOMPR33/202038502

This post was edited by Jillius on Sat, Nov 1, 14 at 21:01

9 years ago

Jillius-- I think I'm getting a bit too obsessed with GW, as I cut-and-pasted your link to Monet's kitchen wondering if I'd missed the reveal or if it took place before I discovered this site. After a brief moment of bewilderment I realized it was THAT Monet. :)

I'm on the side of liking yellow (though THAT Monet's is a bit over the top), but our KD thinks it'd be too 'cutesy' with a red vintage stove so is advocating grey cabinets and white tile. I'm thinking maybe soft, buttercream cabinets might work.

Fabfivefigs, I really like the yellow tiles, so I'd vote for keeping them with maybe a soft grey paint to tie in with the counter and the open shelves the same color as the cabinets.

This post was edited by AvatarWalt on Sat, Nov 1, 14 at 22:08

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

AQUA!! I love it. The paint colors you could use are almost endless. You could use a green, yellow, grey, beige/lt brown so many choices. Although some would take away the "vintage" look more than others

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

I love that penny tile and cannot wait to see your reveal!!!! Someone earlier suggested navy. I agree that this conbo would be absolutely striking!