Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwrain_gal

GE 30 inch Profile Dual Fuel Range Puzzle

NWRain-Gal
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have been reading posts on this very informative forum in the past few months.

We are in the process of remodeling the kitchen (down to the studs) in our 1925 bungalow. I recently purchased, in a local closeout shop, a 30 inch GE Profile Dual Fuel range. They said it is new and has a 1 year manufacturers warranty. We have not had it delivered yet because we are not ready for it. Our kitchen is in the painting of the cabinets stage and we are currently having problems with our painters. We were not able to see the model number or serial number because the range is buried in a sea of other ranges. I will try to go back to the store and see if I can obtain the model and serial numbers. I haven't been able to turn anything up on the internet about it yet. GE does list one similar, but it has black grates and is no longer manufactured. I think this range may have been a floor model or an older leftover model.

Our neighbors just recently bought a brand NEW 30inch GE Profile Dual Fuel range from a big box store. The only thing I can see that is different is, the grates are black matte cast iron, the nobs are bigger and the oven interior is glossy black.
Mine has grey enamel-coated cast iron grates, smaller nobs and the oven interior is blue-ish with white speckles. Other wise the features are the same.

Does anyone have this same range as mine? What year is it? Model number? Do you like it? Does it perform well?

On my neighbors range, when the burners are on, they makes a loud hissing sound. I have never had a gas range, always had electric. Is this normal? Will it dissipate the longer the burner is on? I have cooked on gas ranges before while on vacation, but they were pretty silent while the burners were on.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. NWRain-Gal

Comments (3)

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    10 years ago

We have a GE Cafe dual fuel range we purchased last year. It has similar features, but all the controls are mounted across the front.

There is not any noticeable hissing noise when the burners are in use. There is an initial hiss as the gas starts, but then the ignitor clicks to start the burner and you just hear the sound of the flame. The one burner that does make some noise on high is the powerboil burner, but it is also putting out a tremendous amount of heat. It is designed to be adjustable from a very low simmer to a very high max output.

You need to also make sure you have the right electrical connection for the range. Ours needed a 50 amp breaker and associated wiring with a 4 wire range socket. It was not that hard to install our wiring because the basement is not finished, but your situation may be different.

The range has a recessed area in the middle of the lower 5-6 inches of the back panel. The power connection and gas connection in your kitchen need to be located in that area so they slip into the recess and let the range fit back against the wall.

Bruce

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

That model is several years old. All of the Profile designs went to an eyebrow window look about 5-6 years ago and the cast iron instead of the gray enamel grates soon after. The new model grates include the separate center griddle/grillpan as well as the standard oval grate. I'd be highly suspicious that it was new old stock and came with a factory warranty. It may be a refurbished model that they provide a warranty for, but they need to make that clear as to who provides the warranty, and who provides the service under that warranty.

• beth09
    10 years ago

Hi Rain Gal,

I have been lurking here for a couple weeks now as I research redoing my kitchen. When I saw your post, I knew I had to offer my 2 pennies. So I joined today, and here is my experience and thoughts.

About 3 years ago I bought a Maytag gas range with the same type of covering on the grates. Within a year, I had burned it off completely on the front right burner. I was shocked, and not happy. Called the local store we bought from, and he replaced it with another he ordered.

What I had also noticed happening was with the silverish ring (don't know the name) right below where the flame comes out. Mine is like a rough/frosted finish. It was turning brown. Come to find out, nothing would clean it off. It's still there, looking awful. The grates turn brown too, and while most of it will come off with cleaning, who wants to clean their grates once a week?? And to top it all off, I went back to tell the seller I wasn't happy at all, and he just smiled. That's it. And then they went out of business. So much for "buying local"....

The stove you are looking at looks like it has the same type finish on the rings, and definitely has the same grey enamel coat.

If there is any way to get out of this purchase, I would suggest doing so. Get grates without that enamel coat, and if possible (I'm in the process of trying to find one) get a stove that has a smooth, polished finish on the rings.

Sorry to be such a debbie downer with my first post, but I wish someone could have warned me. Hope it helps, and good luck!