Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angieszen

Would a pendant w/bulb showing make you crazy?

angieszen
13 years ago

Yes, I am still obsessing over a fabulous set of pendants - they are such a great color and ceramic and I so want them...

Here's the dilemma - they are 10" diameter and about 3 inches high so about 1 1/2 inches of the light bulb sticks out underneath them. I have a small kitchen and two of these go over my peninsula. They are in sight everytime you walk into the room. Are the bare bulbs going to be a problem? Ugly? Bright?

I have seen many other pendants that have some of the bulb exposed - do any of you have them and like/dislike having that bulb show?

Comments (11)

• newcastlemom
    13 years ago

Can you post a photo or give us a link?

I think a bulb protruding could look... like it was falling out, or mis sized. But then there are some mini pendants where the lower edge of the bulb seems to be part of the design and it looks really cool.

Here is a link that might be useful: uh ma'am, your bulb is showing

• melissastar
    13 years ago

I've been pondering the same question. Since I've just ordered such a pendant for over the sink and two different (but similarly bulb-exposing) pendants for the breakfast bar, I guess I've decided that it won't bother me. But, to tell you the truth, I'm not sure.

I did "compromise" on the pendant for over the kitchen sink, by buying a small supply of reproduction carbon-filament bulbs, which are very pretty (and historically accurate for my old house) when they show. I'm awaiting delivery on the fixture, shade and bulb with the caption "functional flirtation" on this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Exposed bulbs...

• doonie
    13 years ago

My old kitchen had a double light fixture over the island. We did not have any recessed lighting. I put 100 W light bulbs in them (on dimmers) so I could see. The light bulbs were visible and blinding if you looked directly at them. Eventually you adapt, but it's annoying when you are speaking to someone across the island. Very distracting.

So, for our reno, I specifically looked for light colored pendants (so that I would maximize light)that had tiny halogen bulbs that were not visible from eye level. We also have recessed ceiling lights, and undercabinet lighting. Our pendants were through LBL lighting.

You do get used to exposed bulbs though. And the dimmers helped significantly when less light was needed, but it became something I wanted to change when I had the chance.

• John Liu
    13 years ago

Designs with exposed bulbs can look nice when using incandescents. Stick in a curly CFL or a heat-sinked LED and it is a different look, which you might not like. Within the lifetime of that pendant, you won't be able to buy an incandescent bulb - not cheaply anyway, I'm sure there will be stashes of NOS around. Something to think about.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I love the look but I can not have them. In fact I have
    great issues with lighting because of an eye problem I have
    with my right eye. In fact just driving at night in the
    rain feels like I am at a carnival with 1000s of lights in
    different colors.

But I really love the look. If I had perfect eye sight
    I would have gotten pendants as you descibe. I saw some
    amazing ones at pottery barn.

Johnliu that is an excellent point. I am not a huge fan
    of those incandescent bulbs. I am waiting for improvments.
    Again this could be my visual experience but sometimes they
    take a while to warm up and light up the room. Annoying!
    It is not just the squirly shape.

~boxer

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

I'm not a fan, for the same burnt-out-eyeball reasons as the others. I got closed milk glass schoolhouse pendants for that very reason.

However! There is such a thing as a "silver bowl" bulb which is specifically designed to alleviate this issue. They come in both silver and white frosted (thicker than normal frosted; the silver's on the inside). Google for "silver bowl" and "frosted bowl" bulbs:

Here is a link that might be useful: silver bowl bulbs

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

PS: I'm ignoring the whole imminent-death-of-the-incandescent-bulb issue. You'll have to pry mine from me by sheer force.

[sticking fingers in ears, singing "la la la LA LA LA I can't HEAR you"]

• malhgold
    13 years ago

Here are my clear pendant lights. At first, I kept staring at the bulb, which was annoying, but I don't even look at it anymore. Doesn't bother us in the least

• Jody
    13 years ago

I recently replaced my ceiling fixture with a hanging pendant light with three 100 watt bulbs ... can you say *hey, I can SEE* something over this table!!!

I love it and so does my husband. Nice things about the lightbulb being *down* is: easier to change 'em AND not a bug collector (as if you go with the bulb going up).

• artemis78
    13 years ago

They also make specially-shaped bulbs designed to not show in fixtures like that (CFL for sure, and probably also incandescent)---so if you really hate looking at it, you can always spring for one of those. I say get them, if you love them!

• John Liu
    13 years ago

I'm ignoring the whole imminent-death-of-the-incandescent-bulb issue. You'll have to pry mine from me by sheer force.

Incandescent bulbs will be phased out nationwide beginning in 2012, unless manufacturers figure out how to greatly improve the efficiency of incandescent bulbs, which they probably won't/can't. That's not very far away.

There are CFLs that are encased in a rounded shell to look like a frosted light bulb, and there will be LEDs that are disguised the same way. But they don't have the exact look of a clear incandescent bulb with the bright filament.

If your pendant depends on that filament to look good, you should probably stock up on incandescents in the coming year or two. I figure, each incandescent lasts a year. so 30 bulbs per fixture should do it.

Plus a few thousand more to sell on eBay at $20 per . . .