Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caben15

Kitchen Layout Opinions

caben15
10 years ago

Hello Kitchens Forum,

I'm in the process of tweaking my kitchen cabinets and layout. The design has two walls of cabinetry (one with a wall oven and storage cabinets, and another with the cleanup sink, dishwasher, and a 36" counter-depth refrigerator), as well as a 12x5' island, with the range centered. This image shows what the current layout looks like:

It's been of growing concern to me that the 36" fridge may not be enough space. In a past house I had a 48" counter-depth fridge and the freezer space was minimal and the fridge a little tight. This was before we had children. Now we have a little one, and eventually there will be more mouths to feed. I had figured we could have a fridge in the garage (about 20 feet away), but having to run out and get something from the garage is a bad failure mode, especially given the size of house (~5000sqft).

Due to some complexity of design (it's a remodel), I can't use any fridge wider than 36" on the sink wall. So if I wanted a larger fridge I'd have to switch the fridge with the wall oven on the other wall. I mocked this option up using a 24" integrated freezer and a 36" integrated fridge unit (both counter depth):

The downside of this is that my tight work triangle seems to be compromised.

What are your opinions? Am I missing anything? Am I overthinking this?

Notes:

- I've pondered variants of keeping the current 36" and adding some fridge/freezer drawers, but this has been more disruptive to my cabinetry so I don't think that'll work.
- I've also pondered door swings on the integrated fridge/freezer in my second mockup above. I'm now wondering if I should reverse the swing of the fridge/freezer from what's shown, to make the fridge easier to access from the prep zone.

This post was edited by caben on Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 3:15

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz