Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenobsessed12

Paint help needed

kitchenobsessed12
11 years ago

We are renovating/updating our kitchen. I love a traditioonal kitchen with a country feel. We are doing granite countertops (ivory gold) white white subway tile backsplash and a butcher block island white a blue/ grey base. We are also replacing all the appliances with stainless steel and putting in a farm sink (kohler whitehaven 36 in with a tall apron). My dilemma: the cabinet color. I know I want white (or creamy white). I have 3 doors in the kitchen (pantry, laundry and door to dining room). All 3 doors and the moldings are BENJAMIN MOORE LINEN WHITE which is a creamy white. I would like to paint the cabinets a shade lighter, like a white dove, but I feel like everything should match. My concern with the linen white is that the kitchen will look yellow, which I do not want. Does anyone have any experience with BM linen white? Or any suggestions would be appreciated.....do you think I could have the paint store mix the linen white and the white dove to make a color that will blend well with the doors and moldings?

Comments (6)

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

I have a lot of experience with linen white. It used to be my choice of color for trim. But I don't think I can answer your question because the answer is so dependent on the situation (light, adjacent colors, etc). The best advice I can give you is to try it and see how it looks in your situation.

All the complex colors change with the light and their surroundings. The trick is to get a color that looks good with day time light and artificial light.

Our living room was painted (by a previous owner)a color that was so cold in artificial light that I couldn't stand to be in there at night. I resorted to pink light bulbs to warm it until we could get around to painting it.

I just don't think there are any shortcuts with color. And what is too yellow is a very subjective thing.

• sjerin
    11 years ago

I painted my kitchen (and LR/DR) Linen White recently. Yes, sometimes it does read very light yellow, but it works for me. And yes, the shade one sees depends on the time of day and the particular wall.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

The other colors in the room, especially your walls and floor, can accentuate the yellow tone in the linen white or soften it.

• ArchitectMamma
    11 years ago

We have Linen White as our trim color throughout our house. We also have it on the walls in a family room where we made all the woodwork including a 3/4 height wainscot Coastal Fog. I was just noticing this morning with the south east light how cool (colorwise)the Linen White looks in that room. Coastal Fog is a cool gray with green undertones.
    We are color matching the Linen White for our new Kitchen cabinets and given the other cool tones in that room, I'm really confident it will not be too yellow for us.

• sis2two
    11 years ago

I am one of those that do not think the white of your cabinets have to match your trim color. I am having my cabinets painted in an antique white color and my trim and wainscoting is a whiter white. I actually went to the Houzz site and found numerous kitchens that had different whites on the cabinets and trim. Mine is also a country kitchen. Hope this helps.

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

I have BM White Dove for trim and windows throughout the house, including the kitchen. I had BM Linen White on most walls throughout the house for many years, including the kitchen but found it too yellow.

Your situation is the reverse, and dependent on natural lighting and floors, might look just right.

After years of bold wall colors with BM White Dove trim that helped keep me sane with kids, I am reverting back to whites around the house.

The Circle of Life with Paint :)