Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catsam00

Please show me a picture of your kitchen island

catsam00
15 years ago

Please show me a picture of your kitchen island and specify if it is centred to a focal point (ie. outside window, cooktop hood, etc) or not centred. thanks. My island is not centred (because of walkway issues) and so I wanted to know if I was the only one. It's hard to tell in some of the posted pictures.

Comments (5)

• whidbey
    15 years ago

I just ordered my cabinets today and our island will not be centered (with the opposite wall behind) because of walkways as well. Is this what you mean?

Do you have an L-Shape kitchen? If so, the island pretty much looks great anywhere, IMHO. For a U-Shape or galley type layout, I would think centered would be the way to go. Here is what ours will look like:

Hope this helps. :)

• whidbey
    15 years ago

I guess I should mention that the window to the right is in the nook and is not part of the kitchen.

• ichearts
    15 years ago

Can anyone tell me how to support my 12 inch overhang on my island? I don't want Corbels and I don't want 2 legs as supports. I was thinking of metal support rods or angle irons. My contractor will not be responsible and install either one. My granite people tell me they do not supply those supports (strange). So, who installs the supports? Any help would be appreciated. They come to measure on Monday so I want to be ready with questions on this. Thank you.

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

Ours is centered on focal points.

The island is 102" X 46".

This is looking from the doorway of the great room.

I don't have a pic yet that shows straight through from the center of the island to the great room, but the opening is 8'. The fireplace is centered with the middle of the island and it will have bookcases on either side.

And this is looking from the end of the island through the breakfast room to the screened porch.

• redroze
    15 years ago

Our island is partially centred to our cooktop area. It's not exactly centred as we allowed more clearance to the right of the island as we have sliding doors that go into our backyard and ancitipated people traffic there. We personally needed that symmetry as the upper cabs on either side of the range hood were the same, and because we have two pendant lights hanging over the island.

Photo with dirty floors but upper cabs are in.

Photo with no upper cabs because we had to shorten the range hood cover, but this shows the pendant lights and finished flooring.

However, before you start obsessing about your island placement as I have been reading your other post, have you considered adding to the right of your island? You have quite a bit of clearance there and could easily accomodate a "mini island" with a different countertop material, such as a nice wood butcher block top. You could even make it a different height so as to make it look intentional. DH actually suggested this when he looked at your beautiful kitchen photo.

Something like this, TERRIBLE mockup but you get the idea:

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus