Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jm_seattle_houzz

Almost done traditional kitchen (with pictures)

Jm_seattle
13 years ago

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the fantastic posts and information! Here are a few pics of what we're ending up with:

Comments (23)

• cpartist
    13 years ago

absolutely gorgeous. enjoy your new space

• suzanne_sl
    13 years ago

Inspiring cabinet hardware choices!

• marcolo
    13 years ago

*click* *drag* *save* *steal*

Oh, sorry, was that out loud?

Look. It's a pretty kitchen. We see lots of pretty kitchens on this forum.

To me, this is something different. I am really astonished to see such attention to vintage detail. The breakfast nook. The perfect creamy subways. And, OMG, the vent holes under the sink. Who thinks of doing that today? The way you've studied old house designs, and made them work for you today, is fantastic.

Also, even if I weren't attuned to old-house insanity, I'd still notice the proportions of your uppers and lowers. Very different and cool. Is it a huge upcharge to do such a unique height ratio? If so, it's worth it.

Some questions: What cabinet brand did you use? What is that round thing in the counter to the left of the sink? And is that an outlet you're putting in the breakfast nook, with plans for a little table lamp? I hope not, because then I'm going to have to hunt you down for monopolizing all the cute in the universe.

• eandhl
    13 years ago

Beautiful cabs, hardware & counters. Enjoy.

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

It's gorgeous, really, really perfect. If your kitchen is indicative of the architectural style of the house, you've got yourself the closest thing to a timeless kitchen! The detail is amazing. I love the breakfast nook and the backsplash. Anyone that's trying to figure out how to mix cream with white should look at what you've done! Is that an integrated on the left? And what is the boxed out area behind the breakfast nook?

Beautiful job! I can't wait to see it finished!!!!!!

• Vivian Kaufman
    13 years ago

Wow.... Beautiful!

My house is 140 years old and my kitchen now almost 10 years old.... Perhaps you could come take a look. ;)

Seriously, I love love love the hardware, inset doors and stacked cabinets. Perfect. The vent holes under the sink are pretty awesome as well. One of my favorite things: vintage without cloying.

So glad to see the brass too!

• ebean
    13 years ago

lovely...you did a great job.

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

Thank you for sharing your beautiful kitchen. I can hardly wait for more pics.
    If you have time, would you mind posting a closeup of your backsplash and the details.
    Thanks-Michelle

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

So well-done!!! Beautiful!

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Stunning! I can't wait to see the full reveal! (Or, any additional images and information you want to tease us with during the lead up to the full reveal.)

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

So many cool little details--your latches, the sink vents--is that a built-in compost bin next to the sink?---love your runnels (I have those too, they are awesome) and your pretty windows....can't wait to see more!

• artemis78
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! Would you mind sharing your lighting and hardware sources? I'm getting ready to order latches and pendants in the same style...on latches, trying to decide whether to spring for the Rejuvenation latches or not! (We have one on a medicine cabinet and I know they're wonderful, but not sure if they're $33 wonderful.) Would love to know where yours are from, and if they're not from there, whether you're happy with the performance so far.

• macybaby
    13 years ago

I'd also like to know where you got the latches. I've looked at several sites and some look like they might not hold up.

Very nice kitchen - this helps to get me motivated to get my cabinets painted.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Wow! Clipped this one for sure!
    I could list everything, but basically, I love absolutely each element. You achieved a beautiful look with total function as well. I want this kitchen in my house!

• byronroad
    13 years ago

OMG. I LOVE those window latches. I want to play with them. PLEASE. (I'm not actually yelling - I am squealing with delight) And I want to sit in your breakfast nook.
    We haven't bought a kitchen table yet because we can't find anything we like but you have just given me an idea.
    Like Marcolo *steal*

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Just gorgeous! Love the cabinets (and the latches!), lighting, and backsplash especially.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Love. IT!

• Jm_seattle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for all the kind words. It's really all of you that helped make this happen- we searched this site so many times and found so many helpful people. I just hope I can give back.

Here are some answers to the questions:

Cabinets: we found a local cabinet maker (http://www.seattlecustomcabinets.com/) that was passionate about houses of our era- 1920s. He only does custom, and so was more expensive than other options, but choosing him was the best thing we did. If I have one piece of advice to folks that are in the planning stages, it would be that if you happen upon one of these people that is seriously passionate about your house (be it a designer, cabinet maker, GC, whatever), hire them right away! You can't find these people very easily and you can't buy the kind of advice they give. It was him that came up with the proportions and many of the details like the sink vent.

Latches: We found these online for much cheaper than Rejuvenation and are very happy with their quality. Note that we ordered a large size (at the suggestion of someone who said you'll want them larger when you're older and it gets harder to grip smaller objects), and we like them. My advice for any hardware is to order one first. There a lot of places that sell cabinet latches online, but the exact ones we got are in the link at the bottom of this post.

Handles: Restoration Hardware.

Thing Left of Sink: this is a built-in compost bin. The particular model we got is called a Blanco Solon:
    http://www.blancocanada.com/frames/BlancoStart.htm#/pages/wasteManagement.htm

Nook Outlet: Yes, that's what it is. We didn't think about putting a lamp there (were thinking about more boring things like laptops), but that's a fantastic suggestion- thank you marcolo!

Behind Nook: That will eventually be a window. The lack of it being there now is one of our many delays :(

Fridge: Yes, it's an integrated Sub Zero (700 TCi).

Lighting: Rejuvenation (I don't have the exact models handy, but just post again if you want me to provide them and I can dig them up).

Thanks again everybody for all your help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Nickel Cabinet Latches

• marcydc
    13 years ago

Sigh, I really wish I'd known about that compost drop in thing like 4 months ago. It never occurred to me that such thing existed. At the moment i have a city provided compost bucket under both the prep and main and 2 don't get taken out as often as 1...

I wonder how odd it would look on an island? I guess i can still call the granite guy for another hole!

• Jm_seattle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

michellemarie- here are some close-ups of the backsplash. All the tile is from the Isole line at Oregon Tile & Marble (link at bottom of post). The color isn't very clear from these pictures, but everything except for the vines is the color Buttercream.

Here is a link that might be useful: Isole Tile PDF

• artemis78
    13 years ago

Thanks for all of the details! I would love to pick your brain a bit more about the lights---not so much the specific models, since I have been looking at that catalog long enough that sadly I recognize most Rejuvenation and Schoolhouse Electric fixtures at this point... :/ ---but rather the numbers, since it looks like you don't have can lights in the mix? We are using just flushmount schoolhouse fixtures with hanging pendants, and trying to figure out how many are needed to adequately light a space. Would love to know how many you have, and whether it seems like enough light for your room. Thanks!

• Jm_seattle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

As for the lighting, I should point out first that the kitchen's not done and we haven't actually lived in it yet. That being said, we have been using the island, sink, and DW, and I can tell already we'll have way more light in those spaces than we need with no cans.

Our kitchen is 12x16, and has walkways all around the island. There are 4 ceiling lights, one at each of the walkway corners. In addition, there will be pendant lights over the island, pendants over the sink, and a pendant over the nook. There will also be undercabinet lighting, a light above the cooktop (in the hood), and a pair of lights over a message center (not pictured). We also get a lot of natural light in through the windows and openings to other rooms.

The ceiling lights provide a ton of light (not sure what bulbs the electrician put in, but they may be 100W equivalents). I can see myself for the most part just turning on the overhead lights when I enter the kitchen and not even thinking about turning on any of the other ones because that will be sufficient.

It's also very noticeable that they put in fluorescent bulbs in the ceiling lights, and incandescent bulbs in the pendants. The pendants provide a more natural hue, and the kitchen has a beautiful warm glow with just the island pendants on in the evening.

One thing that folks told us was that as your eyes get older, you'll need more light to do everyday tasks in the kitchen. So, all the additional task lighting will at that point be critical. We might use it more than I think we will right now, but I can tell already that it won't be a necessity.

• jgopp
    13 years ago

Amazing kitchen! I love the cabinet work. You've convinced me that latches are the way to go. It looks beautiful. What a great period piece.