Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
collage5

hot water dispenser recommendation

collage5
9 years ago

The last thread is from '12 and there wasn't a clear winner. Anyone have one they'd recommend? At the same time, is it silly to have a hole installed in our new granite when units don't seem to last that long? I'm guessing the holes are not a standard size so, once it breaks, if it's not fixable, you're stuck?

Comments (5)

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I may have posted on that earlier thread, but I have a Mountain Plumbing Little Gourmet that has received regular use for nearly 8 years now. The only issue I've had is the hose springing a leak at the connection but they have changed the type of hose and sent me a new one free. Mine looks like this

I suspect the holes are pretty standard or at least close enough that it would not be a huge ordeal, but you can check the specs to make sure. If mine were to go out, I would probably replace it with the same thing though.

• Fori
    9 years ago

The counter holes are standard. (Like faucets and air gaps and air switch buttons, they're meant to also fit into drop in sinks which have standard sized holes.)

When I put in mine I went by which faucet matched my big faucet the best. High tech research stuff. :)

I ended up with an Insinkerator. They had really good (human on a weekend) customer service that I appreciated. (Also, make sure your installer reads. Mine burned up the tank due to lack of reading skills.)

• collage5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So glad to hear the holes are standard -- great news. If you love your insinkerator, fori, I'd love to know the model. A good friend has had two and neither lasted longer than a couple years so I had ruled them out.

I did find some good reviews on Mountain Plumbing and will be calling the (not so) local dealer today. Thank you for the recommendation, lascatx.

• User
    9 years ago

Be sure that you have the dedicated electrical circuit for the dispenser. They suck enough juice to not need to share with anything else. Which also brings up the fact that they are not very "green" to install in your kitchen and will add to your utility bill.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Mountain Plumbing says theirs uses energy comparable to a 40w bulb, and with all my LEDs housewide, I've more than made up for that. I would be heating water often, and I have no way to compare that energy usage (some gas/some electric) but I do know that when I run water to get hot water in the kitchen, for cleaning projects or other uses, I waste a lot of water. It's a trade off, and I did consider the energy use, but I think it's worth it for me. I can always turn the tank down or off during periods when it isn't needed.

Collage, I bought mine online, sight unseen, based on a rec on this forum. I also picked it because it went well with my faucet (they have some other designs) and reading reviews on Insinkerator (only one I found locally). We also had an Insinkerator in a couple of offices I've worked in. They didn't work as well as I would want and I didn't like they handle.

I've been totally happy with the Little Gourmet. The photo I copied is from the manufacturer selling on Amazon. The tank is sold separately. I bought mine from a plumbing vendor. Ira Woods popped up in one of my searches. It could have been them. I think I also bought a sink from them.