Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momorichel

Concrete Countertops - tell me if you like them

momorichel
15 years ago

I really like the look of concrete countertops but am wondering about the practicality, durability, etc. I've seen the posts here on DIY problems, but am wondering if -- assuming a good, professional installation -- they last well with good care. Anyone who has them, I'd love to hear your experience.

thanks, all in advance - each decision for my kitchen remodel takes time and research, but I'm finding that this countertop thing is really stumping me.

Comments (14)

• jakkom
    15 years ago

I think they're beautiful, but they do require care. If you are willing to take care of a marble countertop, for instance, caring for concrete is very similar. I have friends who love their marble and would never give it up, whereas I prefer my solid surface and butcherblock surfaces. To each his own, what matters is - how much care are you willing to give this product on a regular basis? It doesn't take much, but it does take SOME. What's your personal tolerance for these kinds of things? Only you can answer that.

• momorichel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I want to do as little maintenance as possible - that's why I'm not doing soapstone, even though I love the look. So thank you - I guess I'm back to Caesarstone...

• caryscott
    15 years ago

Mike Holmes hates them - they are porous so they are a real breeding ground for bacteria apparently (or much more than many other countertop surfaces anyway). I actually like the look of them.

• momorichel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmm....I really don't like the sound of that! Forgive me if I should know but - who is Mike Holmes?

• cheri127
    15 years ago

Someone posted a long and very informative thread a while ago on trying to maintain concrete counters. He hated them! I'm sure the thread is long gone but mayber someone who has it saved will see this and post it. The link below offers an honest assessment of maintenance.

Here is a link that might be useful: concrete counter Q & A

• astridh
    15 years ago

I would be cautious about concrete counters. They are prone to crack, and I don't think that there is anything you can do to fix it. I have a friend who installs concrete counters and said that he would never put them in his own kitchen. Do a lot of research before you make that choice.

• momorichel
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, "be cautious" seems to be the consistent advice I'm getting on this. Thank you all for your input - I think I'm done with that option and will check it off my list!
    It's nice to get a consistent message for a change, even if it's negative, lol.

• joanie_b
    15 years ago

Mike Holmes is a construction expert and the host of a show called 'Holmes on Homes' on TLC.
    He goes in and fixes up the horrifying jobs done by *contractors* and the like who have ripped off homeowners.
    A really good and educational show.

My 9 year old neighbor girl is a big fan - "Mike Holmes says that if you're underneath the canopy of a tree, there are roots below".
    I did not know that and now I do - lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: Holmes on Homes

• guy_in_newhouse
    15 years ago

One option you might consider... I too like the look of a concrete countertop, but didn't like the material itself in that application. I'm going with Corian ("private...something" series) with a thick edge. The edge thickness is about 1.5-2 inches with a very tight radius edge...looks just like a "concrete countertop" appearance only with a better material (imho).

Home Depot has a Corain book that shows what the thick edge looks like if you'd like to check...I haven't seen much on the web that illustrates it. I've seen it on two countertops & it looks NICE.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

Thanks joanie b in addition to all that, now wait for it, you know it's coming... he's Canadian. He is also just about every Contractor's worst nightmare, or so a couple of contractor's have told me. Armed with a bit of Mike Holmes "do it right" info many clients want the premium quality but they don't want to pay a premium price is the lament I've heard on more than one occasion.

• itsraining
    15 years ago

I really like the concrete counters I put in my remodaled kitchen 3 years ago. I was tired of granite and was looking for a different look. Concrete can be made in any shape or color. My counters have a big double sink that's all one piece, blending with my counters. I love that. I was lucky to have a company in town that does concrete - New Edge Design (Lynden, WA).
    These counters do require some consideration, however. You have to be careful with acids(citrus, wine, vinegar) as these stain the counters. But even if it stains, eventually it fades into a patina that's part of the look. I have a large butcher block island that I prepare most of my food on so this is not a big deal for me. Anyway, I like my counters and get a lot of compliments on them.

• montalvo
    15 years ago

We have pre-cast concrete counters in our lanai kitchen and they've held up quite well, despite being adjacent to a heavily used BBQ. The "tiles" were cast to our specification and then put in place atop the plywood with a mastic. The largest tile is about 36" long and 24" deep and the thickness is about 1 1/2" with a bullnose edge. We have a raised bar with a curve and everything fit together perfectly. We haven't resealed in six years and yet still have hardly any noticeable stains.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

I deal with concrete (house foundations, not countertops) every day and "there are two kinds of concrete: that which has cracked, and that which will crack."