Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k9fan

36' counters with a 34' island?

k9fan
12 years ago

Being shortish people, we originally planned our kitchen remodel with 34" high counters and island. However, it was so difficult finding appliances for that height that we backed off and decided that we could work with 36". So we were going to have both counters and island at a 36" height.

Now, however, in the wake of my recent question about putting a downdraft range in the island and the universal advice not to do so, we've decided to put the range against the wall and the island no longer has any fixture or appliance in it. We are still keeping the island to give us more counter and storage space, but we are toying with the idea of dropping it back to 34" in height, while maintaining 36" counters around the perimeter area. The thought is that it will be used for food prep activities and for seating, and both of these might go better with a lower counter height.

Has anyone done or seen this? Did it look odd?

Comments (7)

• zartemis
    12 years ago

If you wait 2 months, I can get you photos of our kitchen remodel :) That's exactly what we are doing: 36" perimeter counters and a 4' by 6' peninsula with seating that is 34" high.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

I had 36" perimeters and 33" island in our last house. I liked the lowered island so much for baking and prep, that I have lowered counters in 3 areas of my kitchen now, including the island, and 2 areas (the perimeters with cleanup sink and the breakfast center counter) at 36". No one even notices the height differences unless I tell them, and it's better for us, as we're 'shortish,' too.

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

Until now, I've always had a "table height" peninsula and loved it. For my husband and my best friend it was always vaguely uncomfortable, but they're both 5'11" and I'm 5'5". I've been talked into going with a "counter height" peninsula in the remodel and I don't know yet if I'll regret it. I am worried about being able to use my sewing machine on the new peninsula - another friend suggested getting a box to bring the foot pedal within reach. We'll see.

If I were you, I'd go with the lowered island. I think you'll also like having the entire surface without a stove or sink; it makes such a great work space!

• rnest44
    12 years ago

I have exactly what you are planning to do b/c of rhome410's good advice 2 years ago. We are all "shortish" people, my husband is 5'6" and my 2 dd's and I are a smidge on either side of 5'. The height difference is not visually apparent and like rhome410 no one notices it unless I mention it. It is one of the best things about my kitchen remodel. When I spend a whole day in the kitchen I switch prep areas and change shoes part way through. I no longer end up with a lower backache. We have a prep sink in the island as does rhome410 and that too has been fabulous for my family.

We have 4 stools at the island. I have two thoughts for you based on my experience. My wonderful carpenter put an apron piece across the granite to connect the two legs I wanted in the design. It is 3" wide, I would suggest 2" wide if your plan calls for such an apron to provide more space. Also, we found 24" tall stools but as we searched we found many stools we loved at 25.5" tall. Actually, the 24" height is more comfortable for our short legs too.

• k9fan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, we are just about the same height as you and your DH, owls4me. Looks like everyone recommends going for the 34" island height. (I just measured the counters in the rental we are in now and they are 38"! And the owner, a friend of ours who usually lives here, is only about 5 feet. Oh, the aching shoulders!)

I have a question -- well, more than one. I don't understand about the apron piece. When you talk about two legs, does that mean that you don't have a rectangular island?

Which brings me to my next question -- what size is everyone's island? In a kitchen that is about 13' x 13' (I think), ours was originally planned for 3' x 5', then after we removed the range we dropped it to 3' x 4.5' (36" x 54"). We hadn't thought about putting a prep sink in, though.

We need to get all the kitchen decisions -- appliances, island, countertops, floors, cabinets -- finalized to avoid delaying the project!

• rnest44
    12 years ago

SusanCF, The photo below shows the apron. It's from before the kitchen was functional but you get the idea. The baseboard isn't even cut and attached. Those were borrowed temporary stools. That's how I figured out 24" stools were what I needed.

My island is 38" wide and 8'6" long. It has 24" deep cabinets and 12" overhang for seating. That's plenty for us, but the recommended is 15" to 18" deep for seating. I simply didn't have the width in the kitchen to do that. So below is a photo of the island, again the kitchen is in progress. The MW and basket are on the way out. It hasn't worked for us to have a regular (non-drawer) MW below the counter. We've been using the kitchen almost 2 years and it isn't fully done although I do have a real faucet now. :)

You can see the apron piece on the desk below the solid white cabinet almost in the corner. The counter was not installed yet but the desk is counter height so I can use that run as a dessert buffet when entertaining.
    Hope this helps with your project.

• k9fan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

owls4me,

Oh, thank you, now I understand! (And why do everyone else's photos but mine look like a professional took them?) I should have understood what an apron was since we just ordered a tub with one.

That's a very pretty island! I think ours is going to be much more off-the-shelf looking. And at 36 x 54 inches, we won't have room for a sink, but I do look forward to having more counter space.