Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trojancai_gw

Help on kitchen granite selection

trojancai
9 years ago

I am building a new kitchen with natural cherry cabinet and debating between two granite slabs for the island and wall cabinets. One slab is Taj Mahal and the other one is Copenhagen (or Alpine White). Could you please let me know your suggestions?

Comments (27)

• trojancai
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This one is Copenhagen slab.

• trojancai
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is my natural cherry cabinet.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Both slabs are pretty so it depends on if you like more movement. I love the Taj Mahal so much but the other slab with the right floor and backsplash could be a wow factor!

• ardcp
    9 years ago

i love the copenhagen! if cost is the same, i would go with the wow factor of the copenhagen. it will be gorgeous with the cherry.
    as you can guess, i am a granite with movement kind of gal!

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

My original post was before seeing your cabinets despite the pictures looking like they came first. Now seeing your cabinets, the Copenhagen would look gorgeous if the backsplash and flooring would be very neutral and not compete. If you want a busy backspash or floor, then go with the Taj Mahal. Both would look beautiful with your gorgeous cherry cabinets.

• eam44
    9 years ago

Before you choose, think about your backsplash! Do you like the look of quiet tiles with complex stone? If so your Copenhagen looks beautiful. Do you prefer a knockout backsplash? If so, choose the quieter stone. They are both lovely.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Copenhagen! WOWZA! I love it :) I'd work around that amazing granite. Looks great with your natural Cherry cabinets.

• fldirt
    9 years ago

I agree that both would look great with your cabinets. A quiet backsplash/floor with the Copenhagen or a wow backsplash with the Taj Mahal. You really can't go wrong with either.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

They are both gorgeous and are complementary to your lovely cherry cabs. I love stone with a lot of movement and they both have that but the Taj Mahal is much more subtle so it would be my first choice. WTBS, you can't go wrong either way!

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Taj on the perimeter and Copenhagen on the island.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Both great, but if I had the second I would find myself craving Dulce de Leche ice cream nightly. I do like the drama and warmth of that one.

• trojancai
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. My hardwood floor is Brazilian Walnut (IPE) with clear finish. I could also go with Sapele which is much lighter and more consistent. Do you think this would change any recommendation you had for granite slab ?

• trojancai
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another picture of the IPE hardwood floor sample.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Love the copenhagen! That would be a gorgeous island slab. It looks like the taj could blend nicely as a quiet perimeter. Do field your bs options now! Love those woods. The copenhagen seems like a beautiful match .

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I think the floors would go nicely with the granites you have chosen.

• kksmama
    9 years ago

I have Sapele floors and cherry cabinets in my office. Please know that Sapele is very red, much like cherry, and gets redder with time. Which is fine, as long as you like it. As for your slab, I would definitely choose the quieter Taj for its elegance and serenity. What is the feel you want in your kitchen? Do you have an inspiration picture or Sweeby test mission statement?

• toepytoe
    9 years ago

I love the Copenhagen, its gorgeous. Its grabs my attention. I'd do the island with the Copenhagen and the Taj on the perimeter to a balance the wow factor.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Beautiful cabinets & floor. I love the the Taj, elegant & classic.

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

i'll be the dissenting vote - not loving the copenhagen.
    to me it looks like its cracked, not loving all those spidery "lines", it looks messy to me, no dramatic factor in my book....

if you want to go dramatic, i think there are much better options out there.

if u want elegant and beautiful, the Taj fits that bill, it gorgeous...

i would not mix both of those granites in your kitchen. i
    don't see the cohesion at all....

sorry, just giving MHO.....

• rebecca51
    9 years ago

Our cherry cabinets look a lot like yours. Ours have a colonial maple finish. After much agonizing, we chose Bianca Antico granite for the countertops, and River White for our wet bar and the kitchen table that we are having made. They're being installed tomorrow. Between your two choices, I really like Taj Majal I also don't love the Copenhagen - too much variance for me. I found it so hard to pick just the right countertop and drove my husband crazy with my indecision. In fact, when we went in this week to decide on seams and fabrication, I saw a Cambria piece that I fell in love with and even asked if we could switch. Although we (me) could have changed, when I looked at our granite slabs again, I was reassured we had made the right decision. And hubby breathed a sigh of relief (installation would have been delayed another 2 weeks). Even now, though, I'm still anxious to see it installed tomorrow & hoping, hoping I'll like it (I'll try to keep it to myself if I don't :). Good luck with your decision!

• romy718
    9 years ago

I hear you Rebecca. I was also eyeing other slabs at templating. On the dof install, I snuck up into the truck to look at my slabs (the guys were inside) & thought "they aren't white enough, I'm not going to be happy."
    They carried one piece in - Perfect.
    Edit: I always see that typo just as I've hit submit.

This post was edited by romy718 on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 15:55

• Jillius
    9 years ago

While I agree with everybody that they both go well with your cabinets, I'd pick the quieter one (Taj). It's legitimately lovely and not boring, but it is significantly more serene. Think of both of these with the chaos of a cooking project spread all over it. I feel like the Copenhagan would add to the chaos and maybe stress me out a little? I'd only really like it when the kitchen was clean and not being used.

The Taj, I'd like while cooking and while not cooking.

I wouldn't mix the stones. I think the Taj is too interesting to play a true back seat -- it'd just look busy.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Oh also, I'd go with the floor choice that contrasts the most with your cabinets, taking darkening over time into consideration. I've never liked it when the floors and cabinets are basically the same color -- it looks as if the floor is swallowing the island.

• gone_south
    9 years ago

I think the Copenhagen is both beautiful and interesting and works very well with your wood colors. I have a VERY busy granite (Black and Gold Marinace) and cherry cabinets, and by picking a quiet backsplash everything came together so well that people talk about how soothing and restful the space is. By contrast, the Taj is fine but after picturing how well the Copenhagen would work, the Taj leaves me feeling rather meh.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I have Sapele floors and just love the way they look. I do wish though that I had used a harder wood. My floors are very marred after a bit over a year. I looked at the hardness factor and it seemed that they would be very forgiving but they aren't. They are engineered though so maybe that is why they are so soft.

• SaraKat
    9 years ago

I really hope you do the Copenhagen on the island and Taj on the perimeter. I think it would be a showstopper and the island is perfect for it without being too much of a good thing throughout the kitchen.