Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissastar

old fashioned in-the-wall exhaust fans?

melissastar
10 years ago

The kitchen in my childhood home had one of these, and I never thought I'd want one. It leaked cold air in the winter and was always filthy (blame Mom for her lousy housekeeping!).

But, I'm wondering if anyone has more modern experince with one and if there's some better way to block the cold air in winter than stuffing them with insulation?

Because I've got a bathroom addition in the works and it occurs to me that one of those exhaust fans might be the solution to what will otherwise be an expensive AC/cooling issue. I know, this isn't a kitchen issue...but I know if anyone has experience with those fans, it'll be someone on this forum!

The new bathroom will connect to a guest bedroom and the existing AC flexible "pipes"...are NOT going to make it to the new bath. I'd have to cut through all the joists in the bedroom ceiling and rip it wide open to get them from the side of the room where they now terminate to the side that adjoins the new bathroom. And in a 100-year-old house, that would be a really, really not-fun project.

But...the bedroom gets quite cool now from the AC vents there and the bathroom isn't going to be large and not often used. I'm wondering if I just got a pretty good exhaust fan in there (better than your usual light/fan combo, that is) it would suck the cool air from the bedroom right in there when needed.

The bathroom will have a bit of a vintage look, so one of those in the wall gizmos would be a rather quaint touch. I'm assuming you can still buy them somewhere? And maybe, they've got some sort of baffles and built in insulation now that would help with the freezing cold air leaks in the winter?

Think it will work?

But since that bedroom gets pretty cool right

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County