Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grumpydave

Air switch or wall switch?

grumpydave
12 years ago

I currently have a wall switch for my disposal about 18" from the side of the sink next to the window. It's never bothered me having it there but my KD is urging me get an air switch because "people love them". Supposedly it's handier not to have to reach over the counter with drippy hands, but to me the air switch is just another thing mounted to the counter top that I have to clean the crevices of. Having hard water doesn't help in that regard. Opinions?

Comments (30)

• plllog
    12 years ago

Air switches are great--if you want one. I didn't and have the switch on the wall away from the sink.

• abfabamy
    12 years ago

I agree that I don't want another thing on the counter to wipe around. Between the faucet, soap dispenser, and water filtration spout, that's enough!

• Billl
    12 years ago

We put one in and I like it. We have a window that is slightly wider than the sink. The wall section already need a lightswitch by the back door plus the required outlets. The last thing it needed was another switch.

• rnest44
    12 years ago

Sounds like you can choose the set up you want since you'll be using the kitchen long after the KD moves on.
    I used an air switch at each sink b/c it made sense in my set up. With a prep sink on the island and a clean up sink on the peninsula I didn't have any walls to place the switches. I haven't found them difficult to clean around.

• sprtphntc7a
    12 years ago

we did our planning ourselves and i didn;t want a wall switch because it breaks up the backsplash and never heard of an air switch.. so did the switch under our sink. looking back, even if i heard of the air switch, i probably would not of gotten it since i would not want to put another hole in the granite and would not want to clean around it.

we only put a single hole in the granite for the faucet.

so far, we have had no problems with the location of the switch. there is no problem turning in on with wet hands and i don't use it 10 times a day.. so no issues for me.

good luck

• function_first
    12 years ago

I put on in and love it. I don't understand the concerns about cleaning around it. I It's not as if it's a faucet that sticks up and you have to exert yourself to reach behind it -- t's flat, so you wipe it pretty much like you do the countertop.

Having also been around long enough to see a couple of near accidents when some helpful person attempts to turn the "light on" to assist someone fishing an object out of the disposal and unknowingly turning on the disposal instead (yes, that's really happened in front of me), I really like that the airswitch will never be mistaken for a light switch.

I also seem to have my hands sopping wet (a lot of times with waste that I just pushed down the drain) when I use my disposal, so I like not having to stop and wash and dry my hands before using a wall switch.

The air switch is safer in many ways. I'm glad to have one -- two actually.

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

I recently needed to make this same decision. We removed the switch from the wall and went with the air switch. The sink isn't hooked up yet because of termites in the living room (really - renovating is like a game of dominoes), but I'm looking forward to it.

• Luv2Laf
    12 years ago

I wholeheartedly agree with kris_ma evaluation of the air switch. I love mine and have not regretted the decision for one minute. I find it especially useful with wet/soiled hands. Because it's flat, it is easy to clean.

• jgopp
    12 years ago

I have an air switch and wouldn't do it any other way.

• slush1422
    12 years ago

We love our air switch too and it's very easy to keep clean. Plus it's cool!

• colorfast
    12 years ago

I think it's what you are used to, and also your budget. My understanding is that it was more $ to do an airswitch so for me that was an easy thing to omit. We had an existing wall switch before. Really, I am just happy to have a disposal as I grew up without one.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Love my air switch! I couldn't stand the idea of another light switch that gets hit all the time by accident. It wasn't any more money that a normal switch. Same price + $40 or so for the actual piece. LOVE!

• grumpydave
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Many thanks to all who responded!

My current wall switch is in a location where it's not mistaken for a light switch so that's not an issue. Barring any unexpected amazing benefits to air switches I'll probably just stick with what I have.

As for the cleaning issue, I realize that the switch itself is small and flat so cleaning around it isn't difficult. However, what concerns me is the point where the switch mount meets the counter. That corner gathers water and eventually leads to water deposit crustiness. I'm just not the type to obsessively dry it every time I pass within 20 feet of the sink.

• willtv
    12 years ago

We went with a wall switch.
    Well, actually a combo receptacle & switch.
    You can see it in this shot on the left.

Like you, we were concerned about cleaning around another surface mount on the countertop.
    We find the wall switch to be very convenient

• eurekachef
    12 years ago

I've had an air switch for many years, and I love it. Makes cleaning up very convenient, and yes, I like the safety aspect of it even though I've never had an episode like the one kris_ma describes. It makes sense to be able to turn on the disposal right from the sink. I have had no problems with cleaning or dirtiness. It's one of my favorite parts of the kitchen.

• carybk
    12 years ago

DH is an engineer who said he thought the air switch was a technology looking for a problem to solve. But then in our kitchen layout, we're not really worried about mistaking it for a light switch. We've kept the wall switch and were happy to put the money elsewhere.

• KAREN
    12 years ago

Anybody have pictures of their air switch? What area by the sink is considered an effective placement of the air switch?
    Thanks in advance

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Didn't read all the replies, but for me, you use an air switch on an island or where a wall switch isn't possible or practical (windows to the counter, a big bay window...), but I wouldn't replace a wall switch you've been happy with for an air switch and another hole in your counter.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

We got one just because we had no wall anywhere close to the sink. It's also nice in that you don't have to drip water across the counter to a wall switch, but I couldn't say I wouldn't live without it.
    Parts, here's a quick photo, it's between faucet handle and water filter:

• cflaherty
    12 years ago

Ut Oh ! never knew about the air switch for Garbage disposals! nervous ...our electrical has not been completed the electrical for our reno but our countertops have been installed..is there anything I can do to still get an air switch? the Garbage Dis switch was originally going under the cabinet to the left of our corner sink. ....this is where our undercab lights will be also...should I be worried about confusing switches? UGH!!!

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Batch feed disposal. No need for a switch!!

• realmiowa
    6 years ago

I wonder about safety with kids accidentally hitting it? I think for safety I like the idea of wall switch away from sink.

• sushipup1
    6 years ago

There's no accidental hitting of an air switch. It takes a definite amount of pressure to activate it. The cat walking on it won't set it off, either. It is perfectly safe.

• mom2sulu
    6 years ago

I have a wood countertop and just didn't want to deal with an air switch on it as well. I put it in the corner of the door cabinet underneath the sink. It is perfect there.

• function_first
    6 years ago

Agreed- it sits flush with the trim piece and you have to mechanically push the button into the socket with pressure to activate it. It’s actually much safer because it’s safe around wet hands and never gets mistaken for a light switch- both of which made me nervous with wall switches

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

grumpydave, great thread, I'm learning a lot and am glad it's been resurrected. I had no idea you could touch an airswitch with drippy hands. I was told they were safer than switches.

• teeluna
    6 years ago

Yes

• Diane
    6 years ago
    We have an air switch and love it. Our renovation resulted in our sink being in the island and the sit switch is perfect no opening up cabinet with dripping hands to activate.
  • wildchild2x2
    6 years ago

Air switch. No more dripping down my arm like before when I had to reach for the wall switch. The old wall switch now turns on small pendant fixture over the sink.