Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pfmastin_gw

Formica Perlato Granite

pfmastin
15 years ago

I'm getting ready to install this and would love it if someone has a photo of a finished countertop. Thank you.

Pam

Comments (28)

• pfmastin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gonna bump one time to see if I can get a response. Thank you for this brief interruption. :)

• Freda
    15 years ago

My Formica Perlato Granite hasn't arrived yet but I can't wait to see a pic of yours when you get it installed.

• pfmastin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

maet,
    Did you get the Etchings finish? I just saw a post re: the durability of laminates and it was suggested by one poster that some of the glossier finishes would scratch more easily. Now I'm thinking I'll call the Formica gal on Monday and see if she's ordered it yet and see if I should change from Etchings to a matte finish. At least I'll call and see what she says. Just wonderin'.....
    Pam

• mrs-mjt
    15 years ago

Pam, I'm getting formica for my laundry room and met with installers today. I asked about scratches on glossy finishes. Their comment was that Formica's glossy finish used to scratch but they've had good success with the Etchings finish. I'm in the same boat deciding between matte and etchings but based on their experiences, I may go with the Etchings as a little shine might be nice since I'm choosing a darker color.

• pfmastin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you mrs-mjt,
    I thought about this every time I awoke last night and even tried to call the installer this morning to see if they'd ordered the Etchings yet. Yours is the second post this morning saying that Etchings is durable. Thank you!

• Freda
    15 years ago

Pam Yes I ordered the Etchings finish. I saw that posting also and was a bit worried and wondering if I should ask if they could change it but mine has already been ordered for a couple of weeks so doubt it can be changed now.
    Oh well if it doesn't hold up since its laminate instead of the expensive granite, I can always change it in the future. My kids are grown up and we are careful over our countertops anyway so probably will be ok.
    Do I ever relate to being awake at night thinking about my Kitchen. Can you say been up at 3 o'clock in the morning in the kitchen checking out what I had been obsessing about while lying awake in bed. Hubby thought I was crazy!!

Mrs-mjt Glad to hear something positive about the Etchings. Thanks.

Mae

• pfmastin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mae,
    On the "Which is better Formica or Wilsonart" thread another poster has said that the Etchings is durable. I think I'll stick with it...I like the way it looks.

My Silgranit sinks came today! I bought my paint yesterday BM Tree Moss. I think I'll start taping today. Very exciting! :)
    Pam

• pfmastin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

maet,
    Has your perlato granite Etchings been installed yet? My laminate is in, but the bevel edging is back ordered. It will be 2 more weeks for me. Just wondering about yours. :)
    Pam

• Freda
    15 years ago

Hi Pam

My perlato hasn't been installed yet. It has been sitting at the building supply place for a while. I had someone who was going to install it for me but I thought his price was too high. I now have someone else who is a cabinet maker who is hopefully installing it next week. I can't wait to get mine installed. I haven't had a kitchen sink for a couple of weeks now, washing dishes in a dishpan isn't fun.

I would love to see a pic of your Perlato installed.

• Freda
    15 years ago

sending this to the top for Pam.

• pfmastin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks maet!
    I was glad to see the thread pop up again. :) Mine is being installed next week...the tear out is Monday and it should be all done by Wednesday. I'll post a photo when it's done. I'm excited to see yours, too.
    Pam

• psittacine
    15 years ago

Pam.. maet.. hope you post photos when done. I am trying to decide on counters within the next couple of weeks. I have no ability to see the 'look' without visuals and need to see as many photos of installed counters as I can.

• pfmastin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

psittacinejungle, the countertops were installed yesterday and I'm *really* pleased with them. The backsplash will be tiled on Monday and I'll post a picture after that. It's hard to look at that little chip and imagine the completed project, isn't it? But, it turned out even better than I'd hoped.
    Pam

• Freda
    15 years ago

I'm glad to hear that you are pleased with yours Pam. Mine is on hold again. Could be January before its installed.

I'm leaving to go away for a couple of weeks also to visit my son later this week and there has been an unexpected death in hubbys family so things are sort of crazy right now.
    Can't wait to see the picture of yours tho.

• pfmastin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

maet,
    We're leaving town in the morning (also to visit our son. Here's a photo of the countertop. We're almost finished...they'll install the dishwasher today. I was going to wait and post a photo that was taken in daylight...this one looks very gray. The backsplash is shades of pale sage green. Thanks for looking...let me know when yours is done, ok?

{{!gwi}}

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

Wow! I've been waiting for pictures. MORE! Great looking stuff.

• Freda
    15 years ago

I really like your countertop Pam, my cabinets are dark so it will be interesting to see what it will be like with them. Does any of the taupe show up in the daytime. I think I like the edge on yours better than the one I have selected, its really nice. I like your backsplash as well.

Mae

• Freda
    15 years ago

Well I have some of my formica installed but can't believe that I have to wait another month before getting it finished. One countertop had scratches on it so its reordered. Another month without a sink!! I must say I'm pleased with what I have and will try to get a picture to post.
    Wish tho that I had not gone with stained oak for my cabinets. Too late now tho. oh well I will have to live with it now but once everything is done maybe I will like it.

• pfmastin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

maet,
    I'm sorry to hear about your delay. Did you see my thread about "would you complain about this?". Sigh.

Yes, post a photo! I never answered your question about the taupe showing up. Mine appears more green during the day and more taupe at night with the artificial light.

• Freda
    15 years ago

Hi Pam

I'm still waiting for the rest of my countertop. Hopefully it will be in this week. My doors should also be ready this week as well. I'm now in the process of trying to get heating installed under the ceramic tile. The installer is suppose to come this week and let me know what will need to be done. I am getting my ceramic tile installed diamond shape but forgot to order extra tiles. Its always something. Hopefully I will get my kitchen finished before summer. When I started I figured a couple mths and my kitchen would be done. Yeah right!!!
    I think I posted already to your other thread. Did you get the problem solved with your countertop?

• pfmastin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

maet,
    I was thinking of you the other day and wondered how you were coming along. :) Heated ceramic sounds wonderful. I can't wait to see your countertops...post a picture when you can.

The peninsula top seems to be settling and not as "wavy". I'll give it some more time and he'll make another one for me in warm weather (he says the gluing process works better then....we'll see). At any rate, I'm thrilled with the laminate and enjoy it every day. I just saw ci lantro's request for pix so am including a couple more.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• norma_j
    15 years ago

Hi Pam,
    First of all, I want to say your kitchen is lovely! I am redoing my kitchen now, and I have the same Perlato Granite on one of my cabinet tops since 2005. I am going to finish the rest of my cabinet tops now.
    I am undecided about the backsplash. I went to the decorator center today, and the backsplash that I wanted a few weeks ago, has been discontinued. I was very disappointed because it was a nice creamy color with a hint of green running through it. She gave me a different sample today to bring home, and it doesn't look right.
    I like your light sage green. It is subway tile , right? Do you know the name of the color?

• pfmastin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi norma_j,
    I had at first decided on a straight cream color and balked because of my white cabinets. I decided I wanted a little more color so went with the green. I'm a sucker for sagey greens. It's always a relief when you can finally see it finished and are still happy with it. Those little samples don't give us much information somtimes.
    The tile is by Florida Tile. It's called Retro Classic Flair and the color is "Green". It's 3 X 6. I hope it works out for you. Post a photo when you're finished. I'd love to see someone else's Perlato Granite

Pam

• granitesaway
    15 years ago

Hi. I have been looking at laminate samples for a couple of weeks, and keep changing my mind as to which I like best. But, I keep coming back to the Perlato Granite in etchings. To me it seems that the Perlato will go with about any color in the world, so if I want to change wall color, I can do so without worrying about it clashing with the hues in the countertop.....is that correct? Thanks for posting these photos!

• okieinalaska
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing your photos. I have been thinking of getting the perlato granite for my bathrooms but the sample I have seems much darker than what's in your photo. (I prefer it to be like yours though)

Did anyone else find the same thing?

• Kelli Tucker Campbell
    15 years ago

The perlato granite is gorgeous and so neutral. It would look good with anything. Is the beveled edge one continuous piece, or are there seams?

• pjunderdahl
    10 years ago

I came across this posting on Formica Perlato granite when I was looking it up as a choice to use in my kitchen. My problem is I'm so visual and couldn't tell how the countertops would look with the sample chip. The pictures posted by pfmastin that showed the counters and backsplash say they are no longer available or have been removed. Can you repost them please? Also are you still happy with your choice now that you've lived with it for a while. Thanks a bunch. Patty

• Lisa
    8 years ago

Hello everyone, I am new here to Houzz. I have been driving my two friends crazy with choosing a laminate countertop for my condo renovation. Have two friends who I am using as my "Design Team". Everyone loved the Perlato Granite by Formica (etchings). My condo is turning into Shades of Gray. I too am afraid to call my contractor with my final decision of the Perlato. This is for my two bathrooms which are small. Walls are white, bath tub is a grayish-white, my floor will be ceramic tile (white with shades of gray through it-almost black like a marble floor--flat but with a semi-shine to it) and the vanities will be white. Was wondering what anyone of you would do regarding backsplash. I thought I would just have the Perlato continue as one instead of picking a separate backsplash. What would you all do? I don't like greens, etc. but was thinking of using a shade of Blue throughout condo as my pop of color. Also, down the road thinking of using the Perlato in the kitchen also. Would any of you choose a separate backsplash for the kitchen? What color kitchen cabinets? I did like the cabinets shown in pictures from Farmington Home-Choice Designs but my design team did not like it--too dark for my kitchen they said. Kitchen is small with a high ceiling. Sigh--very stressful and confusing. Really would welcome any and all opinions. Dear Hubby is no help. He says he does not care what I choose, just watch the Budget. I have to say, the Perlato chips seem to be much darker than what I see how it actually looks in the pictures. I went to Lowes and Home Depot and collected about 8 Perlato samples and have them all pushed together on my dining room table.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!